Candy Crush Saga developer King trademarks the word "candy"
This might seem a but unfair for those developers who have a game completely unconnected to Candy Crush Saga, but do have the name "candy" in its title. One such game is All Candy Casino Slots, developed by a very frustrated Benny Hsu. The latter points out that his game is nothing like Candy Crush Saga. Despite the fact that the two games are completely different, King had its legal representative send out a rather harsh letter demanding that Hsu's game be taken down.
Martin Schwimmer, a patent attorney and partner at Leeson Ellis, says that the reason a common word like Candy can be trademarked is that it has a strong connection to the game. Candy companies don't use the word to describe their product, only the industry that they are in. That protects them from a lawsuit against King. Schwimmer does offer some advice for game developers who receive a take down letter from King. "Call a lawyer," he suggests. In some cases a deal can be worked out for both titles to exist.
That, however, is not the game plan for Hsu. He plans on changing the name of his casino slots game. He says that there isn't much else a small independent developer can do.
King gets trademark for certain uses of the word candy
1. Candy Crush Saga
2. All Candy Casino Slots
source: Gamezebo via BGR
1. mercorp (Posts: 974; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Does it mean that I must use the word 'confectionery' from now onwards?
32. downphoenix (Posts: 2373; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
if you guys dont watch Alpha Omega Sin on youtube, you should. He broiught up an excellent point... what about Candy Land? I sure hope whoever owns that trademark (Hasbro?) gets involved in this.
21. lalalaman (Posts: 374; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Lol....this is only for apps and games of this type.... weird move by them btw....they seems very insecure
4. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
What is this s**t? Trademark the word "candy"? THIS IS MADNESS! Oh look, it's the stupid patent office again.
Btw, I don't play Candy Crush Saga. :P
13. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 772; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Madness? Madness?! THIS!!! IS!!! SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!
Btw, I don't play Candy Crush Saga either. Quake 2 takes up too much time
5. osanilevich (Posts: 245; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)
Someone seriously needs to take a strong look at patent legislature and review its current guidelines. Its disgusting to think that we've reached the point where people can trademark common words because it is related to their product. What if Zuckerberg trademarks the words Face and Book? What then?
7. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1040; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Last time I checked it was not possible to trademark words that were in the diccionary. Something has changed or someone has done a stupid mistake.
And by the way: Zuckerberg actually tried! He sued several pages dedicated to social networking with book in the title. I think teachbook was one of them (dedicated to share information among educators)
6. N-fanboy (Posts: 538; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
I'm afraid to say 'candy'...sh!t i said 'candy'... I'm not supposed to say 'candy'! OMG i cant stop saying 'candy'...
8. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4002; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
This is so stupid. You can't patent something generic.
29. reckless562 (Posts: 912; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
How come this TROLL cant seee the Disconnect in his views on apples Gay ass common shape patent and his "opinion" on this? where do u get off man??? SERIOUSLY?!?!?! (blows own brains out on floor)
9. ocilfa (Posts: 333; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Will everything else have to be "kandy" then?
14. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yup, "kandy" sounds fine and dandy.
25. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Correction: Grammatically speaking, it may look "fine and dandy," but not its pronunciation - chances are you're still saying and referring to "candy."
This is still a BS move.
11. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 400; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Is this really true? Are you playing a joke PA? I cant belive their exists stupidity to such extent. Please tell me this is a joke. This is just un f*kng belivable.
15. Duketytz (Posts: 514; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Might as well trademark the word 'smartphones'
30. reckless562 (Posts: 912; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
SHUUUUUT UUUPPP!!!! do NOT give these ppl Anymore Ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the love of Tech Man!!!!!!
16. Arthurhkt (Posts: 122; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
I should just trademark the word eat, play, sleep, work, school, apps, computer, smartphone and few more generic word, so i can earn big time.
31. reckless562 (Posts: 912; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Pfhuck it..... mite as well, Halfsies??? :D
17. power_x (Posts: 238; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
And we thought that Apple is stupid with its patents
18. power_x (Posts: 238; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
And she accidentally slip and fall on my candy
Oops I said on my candy
I ain't really mean to say on my candy
But since we talking about my candy
All of you haters say hi to my candy
19. Colonel-Moris (Posts: 11; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Someone needs to develope an "Insect Crush saga" game and then patent the word "Crush (TM)" and "Saga (TM)", and then send a very harsh letter to "Candy (TM) Crush Saga" developers.
26. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
It'll have to be "Insect Crush™ Legacy™" at this rate... Man, this got me awkwardly mad!
33. roscuthiii (Posts: 1860; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
If there was ever an example of why the US needs patent reform... look no further.
34. roscuthiii (Posts: 1860; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I just can't let this one go. It's not April 1st, is it?