Smartphone innovation is dead, longer release cycles can revive it

Join the discussion
• 3mo ago

is not dead, is just people only buying apple and samsung, try a flagship like vivo x100 pro and you will see that those guys are still tying

• 3mo ago
↵stferrari said:

I think evey 24 months would be more desirable as most (not all) people tend to keep their phones around 2 years minimum (at least this is what I have read in several surveys). But this is just my humble opinion.

i agree, but the shareholders greed cannot be satisfied this way unfortunately.

• 3mo ago

I think it's an agreement between google, apple, samsung to get the upgrades with "baby steps"!Big brands controll the marketing,they controll everything,is just about the profit right now and if more money are coming on this way,why should give big upgrades at every single year?

• 3mo ago

I'll just say I pretty much agree innovation has slowed, but the improvements in battery life and the amazing new screen on the s24 ultra are both significant upgrades. I can't tell you how amazing the screen is in cutting down reflections. You may not think it's such a big deal, but it really is when your trying to read something on the device.

• 3mo ago

More can be done. Problem is that this "more" is not always viable from financial point of view or design.

Many prototypes out there are better than final machine.

• 3mo ago

This is one where I actually feel that Apple was right, but at the wrong time. These things should follow Apples iPad or Macbook model, or just treat them like cars with Model Years. The 2024 Galaxy S Ultra can be compared against the 2023 Galaxy S Ultra and see that the upgrades are minimal. They could focus on optimizing software for each generation lasting 3 years plus to get the most out of them. Then, after 3 years or so, a new generation with a new design and hardware features can be produced, as they were able to make major changes in the background.

• 3mo ago
↵poptart said:

This is a North American problem, not worldwide. You guys killed off LG and others who were bringing different form factors to this side of the fence. LG Wing, LG v60 dual screen, blackberry passport, Microsoft surface duo Red Hydrogen One etc. Samsung brings a unique foldable and a flip yet the majority of North American consumers ignore it. I don't want to hear this ridiculous take anymore. Go back to your iPhones and watch tik tok all day or pony up the 4 grand for the vision pro and bounce off walls with that cumbersome get up.

Explain in detail how North America killed off LG, HTC & BlackBerry. I'd give my rebuttal first but that would defeat the purpose of me asking for your explanation.

• 3mo ago

Every year no matter how small or big the upgrade is, it's still a good upgrade to those who wait 2,3 or 4 years. So it doesn't matter if every year is just a small upgrade, engineers already has plans for their smartphones 5 or 10 years in the future. If companies followed your advice, they would probably go bankrupt.

• 3mo agoedited

We all control our own upgrade cycle so who cares. And everyone is on a different upgrade cycle so yearly releases makes sense. We still have s years they just don't name them that because they want people who bought last years to feel like upgrading. Progress isn't that dramatic year on year.

• 3mo ago

IMO 2024 is the year that I believe smartphones reached a weird kind of perfection. It’s undeniable. In the next couple years I would like to see the ultra wide camera being treated equally as important as the main cam and have the same size sensor and amount of lense elements i.e. p6 or p7 etc etc. Autofocusing front facing cameras as standard practice. Fast charging with PD3* 60-65 watts minimum across the board. And Qi2 on all android phones fully implemented.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless