Join the discussion: "Yes" or "No" to fancy lights on the back of our phones?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago

In a world of boring rectangular slabs, I think a touch of RGB on the back can't hurt... What do you think?

• 1y ago

I'm not against small accent lights, but I don't see the purpose in it. Most people have their phones in a case, most of which will block the light unless it's transparent or purpose built for that device. And then how many of people are actually putting their phones face down so routinely that this would be an actual benefit. Samsung's old edge lighting made more sense because it was visible regardless of device orientation.

• 1y agoedited

I'm not looking at the back of my phone so I'm a "no" on this. However I am interested in seeing what it looks like in person.

• 1y ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

In a world of boring rectangular slabs, I think a touch of RGB on the back can't hurt... What do you think?

Depending on battery usage/wear, I think it would be a cool addition to work with clear cases.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵pacattack81 said:

I'm not looking at the back of my phone so I'm a "no" on this. However I am interested in seeing what it looks like in person.

It looks pretty cool, and the darker the room, the cooler the effect becomes! It's not new, though; we've seen RGB on gaming phones, but Nothing was the first to try and make it mainstream (not RGB, but still). It could also serve as a bedside lamp when not in use ;)

• 1y ago

Yes! However even better would be the sides of the phone.

• 1y ago

Gonna go cautiously YES on this one, as long as the lights have a practical purpose and aren't just for show -- like indicating charge level or acting as a floodlight when shooting video. Let's make phones fun again!

ivan.k
ivan.k
Phonearena team
• 1y ago

Totally love the "notification ring" of my Motorola Edge 30 Fusion. In the case of Nothing Phone it's too much for me.

• 1y ago

A complete waste of money and resources.

• 1y ago

I miss RGB notification LEDs on old Sony, HTC and BlackBerry phones - they served a real purpose. They were exorcised by the bezel witch-hunters because they cried their 96 tears. As long as they serve some purpose and don't adversely affect battery life, why not? It's not like anyone is going to see them anyway.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless