AI in Smartphone Photography: Does It Enhance or Overshadow Real Skill?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 5mo ago

When I was a kid, photographers were a hard-working bunch, always in their dark rooms, running around with big lenses, waiting for that perfect shot and not knowing if they got it until days later. My mother was an amateur photographer, and we had a small studio in our bathroom. Nowadays, though, it's super easy to get a pile of shots; just press and hold the shutter button. And what's even worse is that most smartphones now use “clever” AI algorithms to “enhance” your photo and make it “studio-quality” (whatever that means). Do you think there's less skill involved in modern photography? Have smartphones made all of us nominees for a Pulitzer in photography?

• 5mo ago

I think it overshadows real skill, but it makes it easier for people to just point & shoot.

• 5mo agoedited

I agree it may be easier for novices to take nice pictures nowadays with smartphones(Especially with old and new flagships iphones,pixels,samsungs and Lgs btw); You still need real skill to "Max Out" the quality of your photos. Only experts will have "Pulitzer Quality" Looking photos.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 5mo ago
↵ZARTAN99 said:

I agree it may be easier for novices to take nice pictures nowadays with smartphones(Especially with old and new flagships iphones,pixels,samsungs and Lgs btw); You still need real skill to "Max Out" the quality of your photos. Only experts will have "Pulitzer Quality" Looking photos.

I think the Pulitzer thing has more to do with composition, feel, the message of the shot, etc. Not quality per se. I don't think any AI can help with those, although I think Huawei has a camera assistant making suggestions for composition, angle, framing, etc...

• 5mo ago

Skill and technology are just basic aspects of photography that cannot make up for artistic talent. As one of those who spent time in darkrooms surrounded by chemicals, thanks to smartphones, I have an excellent camera on me all the time, ready to capture moments in pictures worth of hanging on the wall.

• 5mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

When I was a kid, photographers were a hard-working bunch, always in their dark rooms, running around with big lenses, waiting for that perfect shot and not knowing if they got it until days later. My mother was an amateur photographer, and we had a small studio in our bathroom. Nowadays, though, it's super easy to get a pile of shots; just press and hold the shutter button. And what's even worse is that most smartphones now use “clever” AI algorithms to “enhance” your photo and make it “studio-quality” (whatever that means). Do you think there's less skill involved in modern photography? Have smartphones made all of us nominees for a Pulitzer in photography?

There is definitely more denial in modern photography. Fed by companies like Apple, Google and Huawei spamming lies everywhere about smartphone camera chi.

I have a cheap system camera with a few prime lenses. There isn't even a discussion about what takes better photos between that Canon EOS M50 II and any smartphone. And the factual counter is, everything in the photo is real, not guesswork post-processing.

• 5mo ago
↵TheRealDuckofDeath said:

There is definitely more denial in modern photography. Fed by companies like Apple, Google and Huawei spamming lies everywhere about smartphone camera chi.

I have a cheap system camera with a few prime lenses. There isn't even a discussion about what takes better photos between that Canon EOS M50 II and any smartphone. And the factual counter is, everything in the photo is real, not guesswork post-processing.

...About the "ancient art" of setting up the perfect shot. That still applies to modern photography. Yes, it is partially mitigated by the fact that we can spam 100 shots with digital storage, but if all 100 shots are bad framing or lighting, they are still 100 bad shots. In that note, I do think that cheap Canon is better at helping finding the great shot. It actually uses its software to try help frame a shot while you are at the location. Not perfect, but still quite useful. A lot better than cropping 80% of a photo in Lightroom. :)

• 5mo agoedited

If you ask a reporter such as Eddie Adams, I'm quite sure he'd tell you it's more important to capture the image than to fiddle around to get the "perfect" shot. If you were Nguyen Van Lem, he'd probably prefer Mr. Adams stayed in bed that fateful day in 1968 so as to not be such a potent figure in history. It wouldn't have changed the events mind you, but his family could've been spared the ignominy.

I'm gonna leave it to those under 50 to Google this event and let what transpired dictate which side of this AI & photography argument you want to be on.

• 5mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

I wanted to have some pro gear, but here it is too expensive at point even pros use APSC at most.

So common those old DSLR with sensors smaller than current phones.

Sony, Nikon and Panasonic no longer sell here. Only Canon and Fuji (only medium format cam).

Canon R3 is probably way over $10.000 here.

Sony has competition that also allows photos from phones. No idea if only xperia is allowed.

I always use DNG then edit on Lightroom. Far better than jpeg my phone can offer.

ivan.k
ivan.k
Phonearena team
• 5mo ago

Most of the time I want to take a quick picture of what is happening around me - ain't nobody time for taking a great shot...so AI is useful to take somewhat decent images.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless