The IUNI U2 is a monster from Asia with an aluminum body, premium specs, and outrageous price
Speaking of HTC's last year flagship, you know that its UltraPixel rear camera is both a notable and controversial feature. Like them or not, the UltraPixels are heading for a return in the IUNI U2's front camera, which is exactly the same as the HTC One's rear shooter. Looking at the front camera comparisons which IUNI posted, it could turn out that the ultrapixels have a previously unsuspected potential for "selfie"-taking. As for the rear camera, the IUNI U2 is wheeling in the heavy artillery - it's the 16MP, 1.34µm sensor seen in the Gionee Elife E7. You will have to forgive it for causing a visible bulge to the U2's otherwise elegant back panel.
We do live in interesting timesSo, how much for this beauty? Prepare to be pleasantly shocked. The 32GB version with 3GB RAM will cost only $320, while the 16GB version with 2GB RAM will be $290. The pricing is absolutely outrageous, as it basically sells a premium smartphone at a price lower than mid-range. But if you are in China, and desperate to compete with Xiaomi, it's what you got to do to stay afloat.
The smartphone is currently on pre-order for Chinese customers, who can make a deposit for the 32GB version. As it's mostly the case with these beautiful Asian monsters, there's no information about the IUNI U2's global availability. However, the phone is making a statement - as low-cost Chinese vendors have already secured premium hardware, they are turning their eyes to competing with design as well. As the old Chinese saying goes, we do live in interesting times.
Ultrapixel selfies camera comparison
1. Low light - other smartphone
2. Low light - IUNI U2
3. Backlight - other smartphone
4. Backlight - IUNI U2
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It's like the HTC One and Nokia Lumia 925 had a baby!
2. pwnarena (Posts: 905; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
and the camera bulge is like that healing cut umbilical cord
13. Razrman (Posts: 68; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Exactly my thoughts, I was like what is that belly button protruding from the back of the phone? lol
15. Ashoaib (Posts: 2111; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Wow... chinese are really upto something great... with the current flagships of renouned brands, it seems only chinese are trying to bring something cool...
22. PunyPoop (Posts: 718; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
3. wando77 (Posts: 288; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Clearly a light is on for the low light selfie. Not only can you see the shine on her face but also a big shadow cast by her head
4. f35hunter (Posts: 120; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
thats true bro but what would expect from a 320$ (premium) handset
its just not perfect
25. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 906; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
There is a shadow as well in the other low light selfie, so there might be a light source as well. But I agree, it looks like they had flash on.
5. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 491; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I don't know why this phone is cheap. I'm sure there's a big sacrifice to get those ridiculous price.
7. NexusX (Posts: 119; Member since: 16 May 2013)
maybe they just operate on much thinner margin than Samsung and Apple.
an average college-educated Chinese worker make about 500 USD a month.
8. NexusX (Posts: 119; Member since: 16 May 2013)
An average college educated Chinese Software Developer
6. pwnarena (Posts: 905; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
the photo comparisons look fake to me. you can clearly see that they're using additional front illumination with the iuni shots.
9. PorkyBurger (Posts: 222; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Yep, it looks like they are cheating to me.
First two pics are clearly faked, like who couldn't see that~!
11. TediT (Posts: 37; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
This look awesome! I really want this!!! And I'm loving the design
12. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1907; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
If it worked on att bands, I'll get this...extra phone
14. vuyonc (Posts: 244; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
In China ;(
16. neartx (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 15 Mar 2014)
i think it,s so far better s5
but my next phone is htc one 2014
18. techperson211 (Posts: 660; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Hopefully it's not disposable. What I mean after you charge it and blow by itself . In terms of price for that specs hands down!!! But like King Leonidas said . Let's put it to the test.
20. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 723; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Am I the only one who is not impressed with HTC One's design?
21. Taters (Posts: 3032; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
A lot of people are not impressed. You just won't find them on phonearena or geek websites.
People who play with them at futureshop and rogers etc don't think twice about it. They look at it and go meh.
23. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 723; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
But I do see a lot of local YouTubers using it