Sony is the number two smartphone manufacturer in India by value of sales, leap frogging over Apple
According to research firm IDC, based on the value of phones sold, Sony's share of the Indian smartphone market hit 9.1% in the fourth quarter of 2013. While that was well behind Samsung's 43% slice of the Indian smartphone pie, it was 2.1 percentage points ahead of Apple's 7% share for the three months ended in December.
Looking at the actual number of phones sold in the fourth quarter, Samsung was on top with a 38% share. Micromax was next with 13%, followed by Sony and Apple. The two had volume shares of 5.5% and 2% of the Indian smartphone market, respectively.
The top phones for Sony in India during that quarter, were the Sony Xperia M Dual and the Sony Xperia C. For the quarter that just ended in March, analysts say that Sony was hurt by Apple's re-release of the Apple iPhone 4 in the country, as an entry-level model priced at $375. In addition, the forked-Android powered Nokia X could also have been a tough challenger for Sony's entry-level Android phones in the region.
Sony tops Apple in Indian smartphone market share
Thanks for the tip, Anson!
1. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Nice achievement. But still a distant second after samsung. And apple has no chance in emerging markets because android is popular there and their overpriced mediocre hardware aint helping either.
4. LiyanaBG (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
India has always been buying everything sony they buy it just for the brand just to show off there friends. they don't buy it for its software/features or design.
5. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
They buy it because of the cheap price and yes, the brand (which is Samsung). I think the 43% who got Samsung are mostly low to mid end phones, same goes to Sony, the top seller Sony phones in India are Xperia C and M Dual which is cheap.
30. shuaibhere (Posts: 1297; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
No it is sony had better low end phones....i have seen many with xperia E..but when they want to buy mid range and flagship smartphones most of then end up with samsung...that's how it is in india....but with moto g's arrival sony should be careful....
20. chandancherry (Posts: 29; Member since: 25 Jun 2013)
sony is known here as a top T.V. company and this helps it in its mobile marketing also. But sony's design and android skin also contributes towards the sales. For show off, apple is bought here.
47. Nexus4lifes (Posts: 60; Member since: 13 Feb 2014)
Apple is more popular than Sony in India... so your argument is void... However i completely understand the girl in you siding apple..
open facebook, twitter
iphone suits this best...
53. nokia12 (Posts: 278; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
You are wrong here buddy.. Apple is the brand here where People Show off ... Sony is successful because in 2013 it had the best value for money phones.. Xperia M just had no competition until moto G. Xperia C was the only decent 5 incher branded smartphone until galaxy grand 2.arrived. Xperia SP the best Performance phone.. then Xperia ZR . Sony phones were a lot cheaper than samsung counterparts.. that's why the success
40. Amir1 (Posts: 243; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
sony is going up one step at a time. slowly but surely. they deserve it. they are bringing great devices to the market ever since the beginning of last year.
2. wilsong17 (Posts: 735; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Smart people choose superior phone over style and popularity
7. Hassan420i (Posts: 23; Member since: 23 Jun 2013)
smart people make the 3rd ranked manufacturer popular over the top selling manufacturer... LOL
55. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 517; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
So the headline is not for BEST SELLER, but about the distant second.
Can we imagine if Sony would be on the headline , if Apple(or the lame M8 brick) was the best seller in India????
65. papss (unregistered)
Lame joke... Bricks are square
10. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Nah only if nokia made smartphones.
12. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Uh...are you okay? Nokia didn't make smartphones? Are you okay dude?
25. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
But, but they make windows phones they didnt mention smartphones anywhere. Even apple dont make smartphones they make iphones. So Only android phone are smartphones.
27. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
But, but, you didn't mention Android phones are smartphones. lol
28. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Read the Last line i did mention. Every other tech site does mention a phone as android smartphone.
50. lyndon420 (Posts: 1687; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
In Canada iphones aren't considered smart phones.
64. darkkjedii (Posts: 10122; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude who really cares. If you like buy it, if you don't don't. It's like whatever now man.
34. mayur007 (Posts: 360; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
haha this is the post of the day
honestly android is the only smatphone os right now
43. Amir1 (Posts: 243; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
true. android is the most mature OS. the rest lag behind.
63. sbw44 (Posts: 366; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
100% true! the rest lag behind in LAG! Android is the best best OS if you want the best lag possible! I mean if a Note3 can still lag... WOW
62. sbw44 (Posts: 366; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Dude please give me the definition of smartphone? I mean seriously, I knew some of were mindless idiots but I didn't know you were that stupid!
15. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 438; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
If Nokia X family have at least Snapdragon 200(Cortex-A7 variant, not that crappy A5). It would have a better performance and a better support for newer OS version.
16. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 438; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I'm sure that Nokia X, X+, and XL will stuck forever in 4.1.2, thanks to the crappy Snapdragon S4 Play. Even Mediatek chipsets are more reliable than S4 play, Cortex-A5 is the worst ARMv7 CPU in the world.
17. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If I'm not wrong, the Nokia X family won't get Android updates but it will get Nokia updates which is from Nokia itself. The Nokia X just got an update recently.
And yeah, Nokia should've use better processors on their X phones.
24. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 438; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Not only Nokia X, other smartphones that use S4 Play are also stuck on 4.1.2.
21. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
It seems like it isnt even running android. Just a dumb OS with .apk support a.k.a. Android apps. And mediatek is crap. They just seem to have good configuration with quad core and dual core. But they all still lag. And also no source code drivers meaning no custom rom.
32. shuaibhere (Posts: 1297; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
No.3 is micromax....local indian brand...
56. PBXtech (Posts: 966; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Maybe, if they can keep their factory open.
9. Lt.Green (Posts: 318; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Now that I think about it, Sony does offer better low end smartphones versus Samsung, LG & HTC.
19. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 194; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Yes. The only problem is that they're pricier
23. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Only in chipset because they use quality snapdragon kraits. But what about the displays. Compare a galaxy grand to xperia c(dont bring resolution argument contrast, colors and viewing angles is more important), xperia m and galaxy core. The truth is some of the cheap chinese OEMs make higher quality 1080p display than sony's xperia z and z1 which are more than twice pricier. And its sad to hear this.
39. tech2 (Posts: 1782; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Good point. As far as I am aware Sony's phone always shine on specs sheet but fail in real life.
A very mediocre UI with constant lags and home screen redraws (coming from an owner of Xperia mini). Generally speaking their displays are very bad with washed out colours and not so bright displays (when it comes to mid-rangers)
48. aditya.k (Posts: 455; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Xperia Mini is a bit too old I suppose. To be honest, only people like us really care about displays being good at 180 degree angle or not. My dad didn't even say anything about the display when he changed from Xperia Play to Xperia SP. As for lag, there is very little lag.
33. shuaibhere (Posts: 1297; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yeah they do.....
But as straightedgenexus said screens are very poor compared to thier competitors...
51. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7370; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Lol not going to happen. Apple and Samsung are going nowhere.
60. emadshiny (Posts: 1127; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Wait and see,
No one will remain on top as Sony lost its top place years ago.
13. livyatan (Posts: 657; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
I think this is the year when Sony will have the highest growth out of all smartphone manufacturers.
And that is great..they are the perfect alternative to Samsung and Apple
14. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 438; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Please, Sony. I need an affordable waterproof smartphone. I hope that Xperia G is waterproof, G for Xperia GO's successor.
18. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 686; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Kinda expected. Their phones have quite a lot of value for money
22. boosook (Posts: 905; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Well, the incredible success of the Moto G (in UK Motorola went from 0 to 6% of the market in a few months) proves that lots of people don't want to spend much on a smartphone and simply want something that works well.
And now that the hardware has become cheaper and it's possible to sell usable smartphones for under $200, many people are starting to think: why should I pay more if a $200 phone does all I want and does it well?
29. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
They need to work on their quality control and after sales service to beat Samsung.
-Sent from my Xperia L.
36. techloverNYC (Posts: 368; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Wanted to get the Z2 but Im pretty sure sales is not going to be that good in the USA. Don't really want to be that guy who uses a phone no one ever heard off ( Bsides techies). Sony should do more marketing here in the US like Samsung, literally an ad everywhere. Apple and Samsung prove if you do enough marketing, ppl starts buying. HTC is just starting to learn that.
37. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Dude thats sad. Personally i dont care what people say. I buy what i like not what is popular. Some fool friends ask me which phone is that (moto g) they say lol that company is long dead. But i dont give them a damn. But its z2 i bet everybody in the US knows sony as a electronics company. So i dont see a problem there.
61. techloverNYC (Posts: 368; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
You got me wrong. EX: Most of my friends are not that type of person who follows tech news. If I use the more popular phones, we can actually talk about phones in real life scenarios even if they are not tech savey. Phone to me is for social purposes and i would like to discuss with friends in real life about the pros and cons of the phone. They might even be able to help me out with the phone, and teach me something. If I use the Z2 and everyone uses the S5,HTC new 1,iphone. How am I suppose to discuss with my friends? Like I mention before most ppl only recognize a phone from the marketings. Sony is a nice company and I have many products from then (TV,PS1-4,laptop,etc). However in the mobile department Sony need to start marketing like its Japan in America. Apple and Samsung are able to dominate the world mobile market due to literally shove it up ur face ads and a company like Sony with quality product should step up its marketing game. Sony has the money for marketing too.
42. mayur007 (Posts: 360; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
htc even markets there product they still wont be able to sell much
as they are overpriced too much to me called overpriced they more then overpriced..
lack of support after sales service are the also reasons
38. aditya.k (Posts: 455; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Always loved Sony products! Though I don't own one sadly. People complain that Sony devices are pricier but here in India they are the cheapest. I always suggest Sony phones to everybody.
44. amats69 (Posts: 971; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Nice! I would love to see sony succeed..they deserve it..
52. Totse2k15 (Posts: 211; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
Great! I'd love to see/buy a 8" high-end specs Sony tablet.