Phil Schiller says inexpensive iPhone will "never be the future of Apple"
1. Carlitos posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:16 18 1
It just makes no sense to make an iphone Mini. The iphone screen isn't that big to begin with. But of course people freak out and think its gonna be the s**t mmmhmmm(CNBC!) Mmmhmm.
Plus that's why the iphone 4s/4/3gs are still being made.
33. AnTuTu posted on 10 Jan 2013, 15:07 14 1
Apple ----> It was a smartphone in 2007, 2008 and 2009 and after that it is just trying to catch - up with other smartphones in the market.
It is just a matter of time.....!!!
48. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 10 Jan 2013, 21:46 9 0
Good point, and now iPhone is a dumbphone, officially.
49. Nathan_ingx posted on 10 Jan 2013, 22:16 8 0
You know, it's funny how the word 'inexpensive' has been used instead of the usual word 'affordable'.
54. ZayZay posted on 11 Jan 2013, 12:04 0 0
At least it didn't say cheap.
2. jibraihimi posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:19 13 3
Or maybe he wants to say that 'cheap iphone's will not be so cheap eventually.......... That means, cheap iPhone will have internals of iphone 3G, but their price will be on par with HTC One S, or Motorola Razr M, or Samsung Galaxy S3 mini or S2 or Lumia 820.....
3. zaryab_hussain77 posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:21 0 1
He said it now..
I knew it from the day first !!!
4. thunderbolt posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:23 15 1
All those talk of cheap phones from Apple it means was nothing more than "TROLLING" and merely put in place to hijack CES news
10. billybuttpounder (banned) posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:42 5 1
Exactly. since they literally had NOTHING to show or talk about. Hey, I'll be an analyst (Ihave the qualifications to make educated guesses and be right maybe half the time too!) and predict apples stock will slide another 20% in the next couple months as Android, Windows, and even Blackberry continue to outperform and outclass the iphone in every single way.
39. rickywinataa posted on 10 Jan 2013, 16:49 2 0
Imo people are waiting for the next idevice from Apple, it has been 3 years since the first iPad launched
29. someones4 posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:58 5 0
True. and people who believe that are quite naive... Apple will only cram mediocre hardware to maximise profit.
34. Ninetysix posted on 10 Jan 2013, 15:41 0 6
someones4: "Apple will only cram mediocre hardware to maximise profit."
Please let me know what your views are about the S3 Mini and SII Plus phones from Samsung.
35. someones4 posted on 10 Jan 2013, 16:08 7 0
S2 plus is really lame honestly. No idea why they did that. But it's still more or less on par with the iPhone, specs-wise.
5. cornerofthemoon posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:24 5 0
In other words, Apple is about to release an inexpensive iPhone.
6. simplyj posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:31 2 8
Apple should raise storage on the iPhone
$99 for 16gb
$199 for 32gb
$299 for 64gb
$399 for 128gb
there's your low end iPhone right there, 8gb is plain stupid
hahaha, who am I kidding?
30. someones4 posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:59 3 0
Don't understand your thumb downs...That's sarcasm right?
24. rainyday posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:36 6 0
exactly, what he means is "our phones will always be overprices, because we are very very greedy"
8. InspectorGadget80 posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:38 7 2
And apple tech iphone will always be in the pass.
9. billybuttpounder (banned) posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:39 5 0
Just like I and everyone else has been saying. "Analyst" is a joke profession, sure wish I could get paid the amount of money they do to make guesses and be right half the time.
apple will NEVER release any product (outside of the LOLshuffle) for under $100. We will NEVER see an iphone for less than $400 unactivated, and that's OK with me since apple will never get a dime from me.
18. PhoneAddiction posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:07 3 0
So true. The analyst profession in sports is a joke too. These two seem to go hand in hand. Give a guess, and if they're right, they're somehow reliable. If they're wrong, no one talks about it.
11. tedkord posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:44 7 2
When he says cheap, he's talking price only. Apple will have no problem making phone out of last years tech and selling it for a 400% markup. Its kind of their stock in trade.
13. darkkjedii posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:54 1 5
Apple should make a phablet but beating samsung is a tall order
17. billybuttpounder (banned) posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:06 9 2
But your messiah steve jobs told everyone that 3.5" is the biggest anyone would ever need? Gosh, I would be very confused if I was an iDrone because steve always told you guys what to think and what you want.
42. TROLL posted on 10 Jan 2013, 17:09 2 0
He's back..for good ran't you billybutpounder? ... where's chaoticrazor and PAPINYC....
No he's here to Troll Apple....And to stay.
45. billybuttpounder (banned) posted on 10 Jan 2013, 18:04 2 0
Yup. In the words of darkjedi- "make me".
47. someones4 posted on 10 Jan 2013, 20:17 0 0
If they do, they'll be slapping themselves in the face. Since they so vehemently defended their stance on small screens, there'll be little choice but to put on a tough face and carry on with their style.
14. biophone posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:55 1 1
Apple's strategy of selling last years phone for a 100 dollar discount is fine. On contract you can get a free iPhone 4. Thats pretty good. As far as outright cheapness I could see an iphone 4 one day being that cheap phone. They would still sell the newest iphone for a ton and get tons of proft.
The 7 inch tablet thing was different because the reason jobs said a 7 inch tablet weren't good is because they used phone apps. The ipad mini uses tablet apps. I can't see apple making a inexpensive iPhone as in building a new iphone that was made to be cheap but I could see them selling old iphones for cheap.
19. billybuttpounder (banned) posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:09 3 0
"On contract you can get a free iPhone 4. Thats pretty good"
LOL, no. a 2 year old 3G phone with a single core processor is "good" to you?
One could do SOOOO much better, Incredible 4G, Galaxy Exhilerate, BB Torch, Lumia 900, Galaxy S 2 all dominate the iphone 4 as a free phone.
26. thunderbolt posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:39 0 2
Ipad 2 price dropped in India by 10K 2 days back on few online retail stores now that's a cheap tablet ... isn't it ?
31. biophone posted on 10 Jan 2013, 15:01 2 0
The type of person who is likely to buy a free phone isn't a power user. The iphone 4 is a great phone for alot of people. I have an iphone 4 and for a single core phone its fast enough as it does every task I ask of it no problem. Alot of people also have wi-fi everywhere like I do living on a college campus so 3g isn't a problem. Also the power drain 4g is for some phones some people would prefer 3g. Heck I'm not saying there aren't other good options but different people have varying needs. The fact apple has a cheap phone available is the point and the cheap phone they are selling is actually pretty darn good.
40. billybuttpounder (banned) posted on 10 Jan 2013, 17:03 3 0
I agree with everything you said, +1. However, I'm the kind of person that wants the most for my money even if we're talking free product. And I feel my point stands, that there are MUCH better "free" options on contract than an i4. But yeah, I agree that people that want free phones typically don't care much about specs.
A good point.
46. biophone posted on 10 Jan 2013, 18:56 0 0
I agree there are better options if you want a phone with the best specs or most customizability. However if you aren't the iphone is a good option.
55. ZayZay posted on 11 Jan 2013, 12:09 0 0
Even if I wasn't a phone lover, if someone told me that the i4 was 2 years old, it would turn me away. Didn't anyone notice that when iOS 6.0 came out, the 4 got a little bit slower? Or am I the only one handling customers phones and thinking "Dang, this is slow why would anyone want this?"
15. HTCOE posted on 10 Jan 2013, 13:58 1 0
i think they're just going to sell refurbished phones as new phones
16. Feanor posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:04 1 0
I don't think that Apple will be able to command this 75% profit share for ever. I think this will soon start shrinking and then they will be forced to think of alternatives, most likely a smartphone under the iPhone. Which I hope because the main reason why I dislike the iPhone is that it makes people look so uniform. If they had a wider line-up, then I wouldn't groan every time I saw someone holding an iPhone... Imagine watching 20-30% of the population going out with the same T-shirt...
23. thunderbolt posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:36 0 0
Yes all robocops walk talk and function in same as as they were programmed to function ... isn't robocop more aristrocratic than the other word ... lol sounds so "cool" man ...
21. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:12 6 1
From the same guy that said Apple was never focused on the money.
22. ilia1986 posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:28 5 0
"every product that Apple creates, we consider using only the best technology available"
Ever heard of this incredible technology called "Bluetooth file transfer protocol"?
28. TROLL posted on 10 Jan 2013, 14:41 1 0
They don't believe in that cause they don't want to pay patent fees to whom it belongs to or is it Frand?
32. biophone posted on 10 Jan 2013, 15:06 0 0
I don't think thats what they meant. I think its more along the lines of the best screens, processors, radios, and so on. If they made a cheap iphone it wouldn't have these things. If they just sell old iPhones though for people who aren't power users they will have the best technology for previous years. Which alot of people are ok with. To put it another way he was talking about the necessary parts of the phone such as processors should be the best available. He is not saying they include every feature possible.
44. LionStone posted on 10 Jan 2013, 18:02 0 0
"Consider", being the key word there... ahem... :-)
36. drnggaj33 posted on 10 Jan 2013, 16:19 3 0
apple luvs taking money from u guys ...customers talk about att and vzw ...apple does it all the time and ppl just buy it smh
38. imkyle posted on 10 Jan 2013, 16:28 0 0
Just like a 7 inch iPad would never happen or a bigger screen iPhone would never exhist. If the market wants a cheaper iPhone who are you to deny them that?
51. shnibz posted on 11 Jan 2013, 00:07 0 0
Razr M would still be a better deal for the $ though :P
52. kadeep posted on 11 Jan 2013, 00:33 0 0
He said that even apple produces junk-but-expensive phone , still have plenty of i.... ready to pay for it
53. jsdechavez posted on 11 Jan 2013, 08:22 0 0
Mr Schiller doesn't want to hurt the running sales of the iPhone 5, does he? If he confirms cheap on the works, people will wait. iPhone not for me anyway. Xperia and Lumia Pureview for me.
56. SEFsung posted on 12 Jan 2013, 01:08 0 0
Apple is no longer a smartphone, it's more of an accessory nowadays.