This year, Google is receiving two of Fastcodesign’s awards. One for interactive design and a special award for the design of Google Glass, the company’s yet unreleased but upcoming wearable computer.
The interactive design award went to Google Maps for iPhone, an application that was eagerly anticipated after the Apple Maps screw-up. It came and it shocked - not for its functionality that everyone knew would be there, but for its design that was intuitive, clean, gesture-based and modern. Who would’ve expected this of Google just a couple of years ago?!
Google Glass got awarded a special prize since it’s still just a bold beta, but it’s stylish and futuristic, and most people who’ve had a chance to wear Glass would tell it attracts a lot of eyeballs.
We’ve summarized all the winners in the slideshow and you can check the original design awards page right at the bottom.
Maps for iPhone and Glass win Google two design awards
1. Winner: Transportation - Uber
2. Winner: Students - SparkTruck
3. Winner: Social Good - AidPod
4. Winner: Spaces - Klong Toey Community Lantern
5. Winner: Concepts - Decelerator Helmet
6. Winner: 2-D - USA Today
7. Winner: Interactive - Google Maps for iPhone
8. Winner: Products - Leap Motion Interactive
9. Bold Award - Google Glass