Google leaves Key Lime Pie Easter eggs at I/O
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Leaked screenshots reveal a possible upcoming huge Android redesign
14 Apr 2014, 03:50
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
1. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
IMO it is better to release the features as app updates that would of been Key Lime Pie to everyone instead of that very small percent of android that would actually be on 5.0
7. marbovo (Posts: 477; Member since: 16 May 2013)
No man, they should release klp as soon as possible, is not our foult the other smartphones takes to long to get an update
10. Zero0 (Posts: 561; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Internet monies for you.
Google is taking a good approach by using Google Play services in lieu of actual OS version updates and decoupling Gmail and friends from the OS.
People didn't notice, but 4.3 may as well have been released at I/O. Updates included Play (UI and All Access), Hangouts, Chrome, Maps (not out yet), Search, and new APIs. Some companies would give this a .0, others a .x. This time, there was no version change, and 95% of Android users will get the new features (save for Search, which will go out to probably 30% for now).
17. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
no! its the manufacturers' fault, so buy a pure Nexus = its great
and what about the most important missing features:
1) permissions manager
2) real backup of apps (game saves etc)
how would you integrate it through apps?
I'm worried Google has given up fast developing of Android = I won't buy any new device because there won't be any reason to buy it when Android becomes Windows = XP is enough so = HW is enough!
the huge revolution in mobile would end soon if Google Android becomes lazy :)
18. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
and Google will hurt the lack of new ad customers
how Google became the top = just thanks to anxiety of coders and statisticians
if Google becomes new Microsoft = mobile phone will be just like PC = just a tool, nothing special = and would start fading like PC's
20. _Bone_ (Posts: 2061; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I don't remember Microsoft releasing it's OS and top SW (in Google's case, Maps, Navigation, Drive, Gmail, Translate, Now, Googles etc) absolutely for free. OMG ads. Yeah. But you get top class stuff for FREE.
As far as Android goes, there isn't really any need for completely new Android version wiping out user data, Jelly Bean has things covered, Google only needs to simplify it and get rid of lag, cause per HW manufacturers can utiilze new tech and sensors within own skin and apps, and per SW, developers can update apps..
System update is a witty brainchild to keep the user feel they are being care of, but there is no real need. Just polish the damn thing and let manufacturers, SW developers do their job for ONE version.
22. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
1) it doesn't matter if it is free.... I'm talking just about the principle about fast developing
2) wiping data? you exaggerate :) 5 or 50 added features in Android doesn't mean you have to wipe :) But if they change GPU computing it may be required but its not I'm talking about
23. lallolu (Posts: 210; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
Google is not anywhere near lazy and it is a known fact that an android update was not announced due to pleas from manufaturers to google to give them time to update their phones to 4.2 at least.
24. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
could you provide the source of the statement? thx
3. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 2846; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Releasing KLP right now when many devices aren't even on jellybean yet would just decrease the adoption rate even more especially since the adoption rate isn't high as is.
4. JonBjSig (Posts: 175; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
So what if the manufacturers can't keep up?
Should Google just halt all Android releases and wait until the manufacturers finish their versions of Jelly Bean?
14. Zero0 (Posts: 561; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
If there's a big update, get it out now. You have two options: sit and wait for HTC, Samsung, etc., or just release KLP so they can get that one started. If KLP is released tomorrow, most will have it in a year (some have it in a week). Release it in 6 months, and most will have it in 15 months (no one has it for 6 months). Take your pick. Adoption rates mean nothing.
That said, I mentioned the new approach previously. Fragmentation should be less of an issue going forward, because of the way Google is dodging the update system. If they want a new API, everyone gets it, Gingerbread (sometimes Froyo) and up, without a wait.
16. joey_sfb (Posts: 1973; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Only 4 alias account? Please make a few more.
6. blingblingthing (Posts: 383; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Same here. Anything with ice cream sandwich is very good. Sure it gets better moving higher but it isn't mandatory. If you want on time updates you knew what phone you should get.
11. ocilfa (Posts: 299; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Android Final Fantasy 6 style? Google, I give you props.
15. fanboy1974 (Posts: 997; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Take your time Google. Still enjoying unofficial 4.2.2 on my Verizon Note 2. 4.3 should hold me over as well. Still beats anything released by Apple, WP and BB. Google has nothing to worry about until Apple shows it's hand. Then it's game on.
21. Edmund (Posts: 645; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
lmfao... apple is growing more stale by the day, while android is about 6 months away from peaking (if it hasn't happened already).
Remember brands like "Netscape" , "Alta Vista" , "Excite" , Lycos" , "My Space" , "Yahoo Messenger" , "Stickam" , "Dell" ?? These were all leaders in their respective markets at one stage. Their CEO's thought success would last forever and that people would continue to consume whatever garbage they dished out to them, no matter how pointless. How wrong they were.
19. FlushGordon (unregistered)
I'd give the girl a CreamPie instead of Ice Cream