CEO Heins once again says BlackBerry Z10 sales above expectations
Following what BlackBerry India called a very successful launch in the country, strong enough to increase its sales forecast for the Z10 by a strong 40%, BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins told a Spanish newspaper that the BlackBerry Z10 has been drawing buyers from users of other platforms. That dovetails with comments made by Suni Dutt, BlackBerry India's managing director who said that 45% of Z10 buyers in the country were coming to BlackBerry from another platform. All of this good news reversed the action in shares of slumping BlackBerry which rose 77 cents to $13.35, the biggest rise in three weeks.
One country that has not yet received the phone is the U.S. Rumors have started to spread that AT&T will be the first to launch the BlackBerry Z10 in the United States on March 15th. T-Mobile is also expected to launch the Z10 in the middle of this month while Verizon said that it will release the phone at the end of this month. Then, in a few weeks we get to do it all over again as the QWERTY keyboard equipped BlackBerry Q10 gets launched globally.
1. nikenturd (unregistered)
6. VJo003 (Posts: 309; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
I guess he is referring go the India sales figures
13. TheLolGuy (Posts: 449; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Lying? Is he? The sales are above expectations -- but considering the dire situation the company's been in until this point, would the expectations have been set high in the first place?
Keep in mind that Blackberry has been said to be looking for a buyer!
2. adjou (Posts: 90; Member since: 06 Jul 2010)
Stop kidding yourself... Z10 in UK is having price-cut, obviously not selling well... -_-'
14. Hemlocke (unregistered)
The S3 has been cut in price many times, so I guess, by your logic, that Samsung is lying about sales? (Actually, Samsung only says "shipped," so we know those numbers aren't the same as "sold.")
25. adjou (Posts: 90; Member since: 06 Jul 2010)
really, comparing with a months nearly a year old device. Of course it's going to get a price cut... but we are talking about a device released weeks ago. If you honestly think that they are the same, i cant really argue with you anymore
Also, GS3 price cut is so that it can still keep up with te competitors.
blind fanboys are blind
3. nikenturd (unregistered)
Heins is in a rush to bring positive publicities in before the S4 announcement. He knows it will be a rough ride once the S4 becomes available.
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I don't think that it has something to do with Samsung Galaxy S IV release which is coming because there already is better smartphones than BlackBerry Z10. I think that BlackBerry Z10 was dead product even before release.
8. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Samsung Galaxy S IV will be just a last nail in to BlackBerry Z10 coffin. :)
5. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I'm pretty sure that he is lying and just desperately trying to convince people that everyone wants BlackBerry Z10 while it is not true. In other words he tries artificially increase hype about BlackBerry Z10 while in reality BlackBerry Z10 is failing.
18. MachDaddy (Posts: 33; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
or there are some people out there who don't like iOS or Android or WP and have decided to go with BlackBerry. you say it was a dead product even before release...based on what?
I'm not a BB fan, but give it it's due. It's lag-free, has a unique OS that isn't stupid like WP, and has already had an update pushed to it. There could very well be a market for BB based on its unique OS, so don't write it off immediately. Not every user is looking to have the chipset clocked at max speed etc. Some just want a cool phone that can do what they want in a fun and different way.
26. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"based on what?"
1) They took too much time creating single device, actually they took whole eternity compared to other manufacturers.
2) Even before release, according to majority leaks it was clear that BlackBerry won't bring anything new what would attract customers attention.
3) Monitoring the Internet space, it was already clear that there is no big hype from peoples side about upcoming BlackBerry smartphone.
4) Even before release due to leaks it was clear that BlackBerry Z10 technical specifications will be just a mid range.
5) Before release, there wasn't any attractive marketing campaign wich could attract customers attention.
6) It was clear that there already is strong competition and it will be very hard to survive for a dying company.
28. MachDaddy (Posts: 33; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
So they should've just rolled over and died? I don't get what you're point is...they tried to create a unique product and succeeded. It's different, has a few strengths the others don't and it's doing okay.
What would your solution be? Tell the shareholders "Hey guys, some online superstar named 'PhoneArenaUser' says no matter what we do we're doomed, so forget all that money you invested, we're folding up the tent."
They had to create a new product and they did. They are not trying to flood the market with lower end and mid-tier devices. If people like the interface, it will succeed. If they don't, it won't. But it certainly has enough juice for it's target market.
Again, I'm not BB fan per se, but remember how people trashed the PlayBook for being too small to be a useful tablet? Gee, what's the hottest segment of the tablet market two years later...7 inchers! Let's see how this product does before we consign it to the dustbin.
Clearly it doesn't have the hot-rod specs of an HTC One or LG Optimus Pro G, but for everyone who buys a Ferrari, 10,000 buy a Toyota Camry :)
31. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Nope, the solution according to many here will be: We want all devices running android, the lumias, the blackberries, the iphones, etc. Also, we never ever want people to criticize/point out android's/samsung's faults because we are their fans. And since I own one of their products, its my birthright to accept whatever half-baked concepts are presented to me in the form of innovation and necessarily don't solve the problems of the consumer and defend them as innovation while ignoring the other obvious innovators like Moto and Nokia and BB just because their products aren't selling as well as that of Sammy. We don't care about the user experience that's emphasized by the others and that their products are appealing to many (even on this site) only because they lack 5" FHD screens, quad-cores and 2gigs of RAM.
33. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
At least I have never said that I wish that Nokia should use Android. I even don't have anything against Windows Phone, actually it would be interesting to see Windows Phone growing as operating system. :)
35. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
I din't say anything to you in particular. It's a general statement applicable to many on this forum.
36. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I know, I just stated my position. And I agree about what you said in your comment #31, many people says that here. :)
32. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"So they should've just rolled over and died? I don't get what you're point is..."
I don't say and never have said that BlackBerry should die! I just said my opinion that BlackBerry Z10 was dead product even before release.
"What would your solution be?"
Again, I'm not suggesting any solutions, I just stated my opinion about how I see the situation.
"...some online superstar named 'PhoneArenaUser' says..."
I don't wish bad for BlackBerry I just think that BlackBerry Z10 failed and for those who going to say that I'm hater or that it is my wish or so... I want to say that I'm not a hater and it is not my wish, it is my opinion, I think that BlackBerry Z10 failed. :)
34. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"...but for everyone who buys a Ferrari, 10,000 buy a Toyota Camry"
But if Toyota Camry cost the same as Ferrari, no one will going buy Toyota Camry. ;)
9. wendygarett (unregistered)
Of course, a lot of mindless bb fans keep lining up in the bb store for no reason, especially in Africa
11. uchihakurtz (Posts: 128; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
It's sad seeing news like this, it's like seeing a once great company struggling to survive and denying the real world. If they had just made a mid-ranger for BB10 and maybe released it earlier...
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"If they had just made a mid-ranger for BB10 and maybe released it earlier..."
BlackBerry Z10 already looks like a mid-ranger.
19. uchihakurtz (Posts: 128; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Yeah, it's mid-ranger spec-wise but the price is too high IMHO
15. lubba (Posts: 1309; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
The products itself looks like an iPhone clone but with over saturated UI.
17. DKMDROID (Posts: 96; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
hes probably surprised cos he didnt expect to sell anything....I i also hate that there was rumors of the z10 having the S4 PRO chip and it wasnt true your basically paying for a midrange phone at an high end price
21. Asvad (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
What's hot----------------------------------------------------What's not
Revamped interfae------------------------------------------High price tag
Perfect harmony between hardware and software----Lack of apps for BB10 platform
Strong enterprise suite-------------------------------------Poor camera quality
New features like Hub, Story Maker, Balance etc------Industrial looks
22. Darkerm (Posts: 87; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
Good Luck BB ^_^
I may not be a BB customer as I love Android and I am Happy with Xperia S but I like BB as its Unique.
23. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
so they sold more than 3 devices? wow -.-
24. rodkurt (Posts: 128; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
how low was their expected sales anyway...and how many have they already sold?...
27. apiskula (Posts: 330; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Sure Thorsten...Your product sucks and I would never own a blackberry...Close your doors!
30. nasznjoka (Posts: 152; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Used to bash BB now i feel sorry. But life has cycles, and this is one of the sectors of the cycles today top tommorow down