Apple gives Samsung advice on non-patent infringing designs – hilarity ensues
In order to disprove Samsung’s claim, Apple needed to provide alternate design options to prove that Samsung did, in fact, blatantly copy Apple’s design. Some samples from these suggestions include:
- Front surface that isn't black.
- Overall shape that isn't rectangular, or doesn't have rounded corners.
- Display screens that aren't centered on the front face and have substantial lateral borders.
- Non-horizontal speaker slots.
- Front surfaces with substantial adornment.
- No front bezel at all.
LeapPad by LeapFrog
- Overall shape that isn't rectangular, or doesn't have rounded corners.
- Thick frames rather than a thin rim around the front surface.
- Front surface that isn't entirely flat.
- Profiles that aren't thin.
- Cluttered appearance.
Essentially by Apple’s standards, Samsung can make all the thick, ugly, hard-cornered, non-rectangular devices its little heart desires. We assume LeapFrog’s popular children’s tablet, the LeapPad, would be a perfect example of what Apple finds acceptable.
Apple has even requested a ban on the recently re-released Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1N. We will have to wait until the final decision on a possible injunction to find out if Apple is in fact the ruler of all thin, black, rounded rectangles.
source: The Verge via SlashGear
1. doubler86 (Posts: 293; Member since: 26 Jan 2011)
So Apple sees the LG Prada and is like wow that looks like a nice design, lets make something similar to it. Apple gets lots of money and everyone thinks its fine.
4 years later
Samsung sees the iPhone and is like wow that looks like a nice design, lets make something similar to it. Apple sues Samsung for trying to get lots of money and Apple thinks its fine.
29. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
They're saying: Make Rounded Fat Tablets that are ugly. WTF APPLE I kill you.
43. andro. (Posts: 1890; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Perhaps apple would want its rival and competitiors to create a smartphone or tablet much like these:
Its clearly they don't have one centered screen,the number of home buttons and menu icons is confusing, and still at the end of the day it would leave the door open for apple to easily sue gain
47. sarb009 (Posts: 252; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
yeah f**k apple and may steve dogs rott in hell. did u ppl notice that u cant write crapplle or isheeep (in write way) in comments on iphonearnea. f**king isheeeps of iphonearna f**kkers
61. douglasman100 (Posts: 24; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)
63. rendHELL (Posts: 304; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
so apple think that they are the only ones that can make a device that is thin???? that's so ridiculous and lame....
this is so wrong... very very uncompetitive...
by the way where is taco50???!!!
2. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5426; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
is this for real? lol they've really crossed the line now. xD
24. Leodrade (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
Apple crossed the line a long time ago and i think anyone who has read this news and still is a fan of Apple should get punched in the face
41. andro. (Posts: 1890; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Punch them repeatedly i'd say! Only thing is the more you punch them the more they will buy the same apple products over and over again,they've got that mess up mentality,its why Apple has gotten away with it nonsense for so long
3. clevername (Posts: 1379; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
I love apple products but this has gotten refabulous. I think Sammy has perceptively listened though. My sgs2 doesn't have a front Bezel. It's got a sexy side Bezel.
4. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
funny how the result of their suggestions turn out to be a leapPad
44. andro. (Posts: 1890; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
It won't be long before the LeapPad success with the kids will gain apples attention and LeapFrog finds itself in serious legal trouble with apple over copying apples ipad in so many obvious ways of which only apple can determine
5. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Lmao. But i would appreciate more diversity in the tablet market.
6. Penny (Posts: 903; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Lol, especially @ the Tablet suggestions. Forget how Samsung feels, I as a consumer feel extremely offended by Apple's suggestions.
7. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
With Samsung's Microsoft Surface product, the SUR40, already available for pre-order, the company says its 1080p 40-inch "Optical Sensor in Pixel" LCD panels have gone into mass production
What technologies did Apple manufactured??
8. nanozander (Posts: 56; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
So in other words if a company wants to make a smartphone it'd be something that..
Overall odd shape (e.g. Star, Circle, Hexagon etc?),
Display screens at the conner of the circle/Star/Hexagon?
Speakers placement patent's ok..
No front bezel... AT ALL??
And tablets that..
Has an overall odd shape (e.g. Star, Circle, Hexagon etc?),
Huge bezel? Means small screens on huge devices??
Must have a lump/bump on the front surface? =,=
Looks like a 10" brick?
Buttons everywhere?? Which basically goes against ICS..
9. taz89 (Posts: 1766; Member since: 03 May 2011)
apple just keeps on looking more and more like a joke every time something new comes out of all this drama lol seriously there suggestions are just ridiculous.
10. Tatperson (Posts: 57; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Apple might as well sue every phone manufacturers for having a power button on their phones ==
17. cnpthe3rd (Posts: 44; Member since: 01 Feb 2009)
actually apple products DO NOT have a power button. Steve's ego would never let you turn off an apple product the button your referring to is a sleep/wake button
what would the world be like if our forefathers had the apple sue everyone mentality Cugnot's steam wagon circa 1770 sue everyone after that that made a vessel that had wheels and a motor/engine to propel it naturally they could make one you have to push or with wheels that are not round.
perhaps everyone after Alexander Graham Bell could have made phones that did not transmit or receive voice, not only is this absurd but the phones/tablets in question do not even look or act at all like apple crap Samsung builds devices with the features and style people actually want apple convinces the world that the products they build are what you really want. because apple knows what you want better than you do.
11. protozeloz (Posts: 5188; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Ha! Who said lawyers don't do jokes. Next Motorola will send a letter to everyone saying that no one can make a phone that t calls using some wireless antenna
12. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5426; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
they should now. Apple is really about to turn this into a shameless, bloody war which will bring sooo many OEMs down on them.
34. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
and samsung should send out a letter describing a new 3g radio standard featuring curley pink and lime green antennas
13. Tatperson (Posts: 57; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Yeah, Motorola should target apple with that.
37. protozeloz (Posts: 5188; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
They can't most of their IP forms the standard of today's smarphones. But apple does not want it's IP to become standard for anyone even when they already piggy back on today standards
14. JonBjSig (Posts: 167; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
So to avoid making apple cry like a baby over something that looks kinda maybe somewhat similar to their products everyone has to make phones/tablets that look like A: a childrens toy. B: a rock. or C: Ramen noodles.
This is so insane, it's like Phylips would tell LG to stop making TV's that adhered to this design:
1. A large panel on the front on which the image is displayed.
2. A thin border between the display panel and the edge of the monitor.
3. Rectangular design.
4. Remote Control.
18. cnpthe3rd (Posts: 44; Member since: 01 Feb 2009)
actually A: and B: are ok a child's toy is vague enough and I doubt God cares to sue over coping his rock idea but C: the Ramen noodle companies would have to sue if you make a phone that looks like their product
16. grtphones (Posts: 4; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Apple I use to like you and your products but this is just sad.
19. geedup (banned) (Posts: 74; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
This article reads like it was written by one of the trolls in the comment section. Seriously this article is an awful troll job.
26. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5426; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
they banned taco!? lolololololol! that's foony! xD
35. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea, and about 7 fake accounts now. he doesnt seem to realize they can TRACK HIM.. frikkin troll.
taco, you are one sad sad individual.
42. andro. (Posts: 1890; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
He is the manifestation of the apple fanboy and buyer twisted mentality mutated into one being!
48. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
You don't even need to track him, I can tell by his writing that it's him...
There's only one person on this site who is as wrong as he is as often as he is while thinking he's totally right the entire time.
54. ilia1986 (unregistered)
I never thought I'd live to see the day on which taco50 is banned at last.
I wish I were there - looking at his little face when he discovered that, lol.
As for the article - we should be lucky Apple does NOT design houses.
Otherwise if you were to get a non-Apple house, it would need to have been:
1. Roof that isn't solid
2. Walls that are not colored
3. Walls that are not rectangular
4. Non-horizontal windows placement.
5. Front surfaces with substantial adornment
6. No front door at all
Essentially you'd need to live in a cave, lolz
21. rcrider4 (Posts: 118; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)
I am sitting on the couch laughing my guts out because of Apple's suggestions and these comments. My parents are giving me weird looks lol
23. dmn666 (Posts: 179; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
True. Samsung can even sponsor their employees some cheapest joints. That will trigger some better creativity across the company.
Edit: Replied to the wrong post. Meant to reply to post # 22 from sadaivadai.
22. sadaivadai (Posts: 156; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Lumia 800 from Nokia , Razr droid from Motorola , Arc from Sony . Look at their designs ! Those are creative designs . Is it anyway reflecting Apple ? No . But just take a look at samsung galaxy S and SII . You can yourself see that those are larger and cheaper versions of an Iphone .
I am not saying Samsung don't have creativity . Their Wave phones are sexy . I just don't know why they are not using those designs with Andriod . :(
58. frydaexiii (Posts: 1132; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Because there are still stupid people out there who want a phone that looks like an iPhone (so they can show it off) but don't want to buy an iPhone for whatever reason. And the iPhone design seems to sell well with the masses, so Samsung just goes with whatever sells best.
25. rycx365 (Posts: 37; Member since: 18 Mar 2011)
WOW, even the old nokia's released like way back in 2000, long before the iphone, will not adhere to apples requirements. WIERD
57. hepresearch (unregistered)
What a shame! Apple could have made even MORE money from royalties if they had bothered to pursue those awful shamelessly-infringing Nokia iPhone-copies prior to 2007...
28. foureyed (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
Motorola can infact file a lawsuit to Apple that they copied Motorola to make cell phone, as cell phone was invented by Motorola.
30. Stuntman (Posts: 590; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Do you know why Apple did not make any devices with any of those suggestion? Because such a device would suck and not sell well. Apple is basically telling Samung that they are free to build sucky products that won't sell. However, if Samsung actually builds something good, Apple will sue the crap out of them.
32. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 639; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
I guess that's what happens when you run out of stolen ideas, you sue other people who are inventive and creative, man i thought people at Apple were intelligent, but after reading about 4 articles talking about the same thing, i'm really doubting them. this is some ludicrousness. This is embarrassing. Where my iFans at?
36. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
where is gallito, gemini, and miz running around justifying this. i read this whole thread just to see what they'd say.. nothing! lol.
we tried to tell you that apple thinks they own rectangles, screens, rounded edges, bevels, and anything that might be a nice color.. but u wouldnt believe us.. lol
40. protozeloz (Posts: 5188; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
No need to call people out ,it's rather provocative
53. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
not trying to be provacative. i really expected them to try to spin this somehow, and i was looking forward to it. instead they avoided it like the plague.. guess even they cant justify this.
38. kenemu (Posts: 19; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
for gods sake apple. all phones，tablets and cars look alike. i think ipone and ipad are innovative becasue of ideas and functions，not shapes and appearances. and having rounded corners is natural and intuitive， why the hell apples saying this is for its exclusive use？
45. thebikerboi2 (Posts: 144; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
This is getting ridiculous, apple should stop this not only are they jeaprodising there future with a great technology companies there making themself look like the class whiner
49. DonkeySauce (Posts: 120; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
That's like a car company saying to another car company "You can make a car as long as it doesn't have for wheels, headlights on the front, tail lights on the rear and a steering wheel in the front left seat".
50. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 639; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Shame I think Steve Job's death is really affecting Apple Employees, lets just sympathise with them. Bn crazy is not a nice thing...... Well they gone from "too fussy to nut" just my opinion its not a fact, so Fans don't hate #HidingMyiPhone
51. itsius1 (Posts: 49; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
now i really disrespect apple for this... is this how self proclaime creative idealist end up? using law as a media to back up inovation?
55. hepresearch (unregistered)
Apple, to the entire world of competitors: We like competition, and we want you to succeed like we have at innovation. As a result of our philanthropic view, you may make whatever you want, as long as it looks like garbage, does not rock the boat on technology offerings, is thick and bulky, and either weighs a lot or is made entirely out of cheap plastic... oh yeah, and try a color other than black. If you want it to have a touchscreen, then you need to pay us per unit royalties too. Thank you! You may now return to your boring, miserable, routine lives...