Apple files trademark application for new FaceTime logo
Where the old design showed a camera lens inside the outline of a video camera on a textured silver backdrop, the new design shows a video camera on a bright green background. Gone is the lens inside the camera, which had added that realism (along with the textured background) favored by Jobs and Forstall. The latter was removed from Apple's board for refusing to sign an apology letter after the failed launch of Apple Maps.
With the redesign of the UI for Apple's mobile OS, you can expect to see Cupertino sending a constant flow of new trademark requests to the USPTO. The iOS 7 update reflects the first time that Apple has revamped the UI since the OG Apple iPhone launched six years ago yesterday. The new icon designs are flatter, without the gloss used previously.
source: PatentlyApple via Engadget
1. FlushGordon (unregistered)
They need to patent the color as well....Call it Droid green or somethin fancy
3. BillyG (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
nope you cant patent a color, unlike a design which is an intelectual property. put a green icon without any drawing/design inside... no one will ever try to copy it...
9. quakan (Posts: 1154; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
They could trademark it like Tiffany and Co. has their hue of blue (Pantone No. 1837).
4. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Apple Inc. is turning out to be more of a patent troll firm with all their stupid ideas. I guess the downfall is indicated in technological era like this, more of trolling less of innovation.
7. therealestboy (Posts: 47; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Really, dude? You don't know the meaning of patent troll. Apple actually has a product with mentioned patent. How is that patent trolling? Anyway, I don't see why some would want to copy that ugly icon.
8. Jason2k13 (Posts: 633; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
i agree, that icon is soo ugly i dont even know what it is unless someone tells me.
13. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
And there are many PATENTS that they have without a product (except of course for the paper on which they drew the drawings and wrote down essays on that drawing). So doesn't that fit into definition of a Patent troll?
Apple is more of a Patent Troll now.
24. stealthd (Posts: 925; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
I've never seen them assert a patent that wasn't used in the iPhone/iPad/Macs. It's always been pretty clear their patents have been defending their products. But since there's "many" surely you'd have some examples.
28. grahaman27 (Posts: 347; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
But judging by the description it wouldn't be hard to accidentally infringe, any rounded camera icon that's green would infringe
29. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 423; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Really, dude? it's called skype long before facetime. Hurry Skype get a patent, a trademark and a copyright on your icon quick, like now!!! go, go, go!!!
12. Myrith (Posts: 54; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Is it just me, or is that shade of green hideous?
15. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7619; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Boy iOS 7 and Apple are looking unappealing to me as we get closer to the (hopefully not delayed like iTunes) September launch.
27. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7619; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm basing it off of what Apple is putting on the plate. I don't like iOS 7. It doesn't appeal to me. I personally think iOS 6 is better imo. As a company itself, I hate them. The only company in the technology world that rather settle things in the courtroom than on the battlefield (see profile picture.)
16. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Let em patent this crap. Nobody else would even consider using something as ugly and horrid.
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6191; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Great what's next trademark the word Apple?
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 10268; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Trademark away apple, everyone else is protect their IP, so should you.
22. Bernoulli (Posts: 1436; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
That looks a lot like my BBM video logo
23. maxnooze (Posts: 9; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
I wonder whether they will trademark the rest of the 'impressively designed icons'; the weather, notes, reminders and especially game center tiles are certainly nothing to write home about...
30. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 182; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
New trademark, I thought they had patented rectangle with round corners already.