AT&T shared data plans could become reality soon, spy shots indicate
1. Netolic posted on 13 Feb 2012, 05:06 0
About time... my brother has the htc.vivid and.i have the skyrocket. We will just share one data plan
2. Jeradiah3 posted on 13 Feb 2012, 05:11 3
I see no problem with this unless the shared data plans are expensive.
12. TalkingTechy posted on 14 Feb 2012, 12:50 0
rollover on data? In a dream world, yes. In reality? Yeah right.
4. Droid_X_Doug posted on 13 Feb 2012, 08:31 0
I think shared data is going to be the competitive differentiator in 2012. VZW is thinking about it. I hope AT&T does roll out shared data. Then pressure grows on VZW to do shared data too.
5. traciireese posted on 13 Feb 2012, 08:42 0
this is only good news for ppl who are NOT grandfathered in to unlimited data plans.
6. Droid_X_Doug posted on 13 Feb 2012, 10:24 0
If your grandfathered 'unlimited' plan gets throttled at 2Gb, I wonder how you would feel about that?
8. TalkingTechy posted on 13 Feb 2012, 14:45 0
I think the shared data plans should be integrated into customers' existing plans. In other words, if I have a 2 GB data plan for my smart phone, I should now be able to use that 2GB across my iPad and smart phone.
9. Droid_X_Doug posted on 13 Feb 2012, 16:08 0
I think that is the basic concept. Although, I suspect AT&T won't allow the sharing to occur with the grandfathered unlimited plans. AT&T is starting to make the unlimited plans unattractive (throttling at around the 2Gb usage level), so I doubt they would be interested in allowing an unlimited plan to be shard across a number of devices.
11. TalkingTechy posted on 14 Feb 2012, 12:49 0
Agreed, and allow me to expand a little on my previous comment. The data plans should be shared between the smart phone and I've had, along with NOT increasing plan fees. Meaning, my rate should not go up just because I'm sharing my plan between two devices.
10. Forsaken77 posted on 13 Feb 2012, 16:21 1
Hopefully this will kill off those useless tethering plans they rip people off with. Family plan data is something I'm looking forward to also. We have 4 smartphones on the plan and could easily get away with 2GB's across all 4 phones.
13. TalkingTechy posted on 14 Feb 2012, 12:54 0
You are definitely onto something here. Ideally, my family plan would consist of 5 GB shared across 4 phones for $50. That would be a 50% savings on our monthly data charges, and we would only be using the data allotment we need.