Debate: Best phone material - plastic vs. metal vs. glass?

Join the discussion
• 1y ago
↵aspleme said:

You buy many cars that don't come standard with tires? Or with fancy looking wheel surfaces that can't be seen under a tire?

No, I've always bought 5 tires with each vehicle (either in bundle or contemporaneously), much like I always buy a case & screen protector with my phone starting with my Nexus 5.

• 1y ago

METAL!!! Inductive charging feature be damned.

• 1y ago
↵Gintasb said:

From practical point of view plastic is the best for materials... You don't have to worry about shattering anything at all and it is much sturdier than rest of them...

Metal keeps the device temperatures cooler - metal for me.

• 1y ago

I myself would like an Aluminum Backplate. Won't crack, can take a beating, and is amazing for heat dispersion on hot days/overheating decives.

As well as it being a material that won't mess with wireless charging, I don't see why not use Aluminum.

• 1y ago
↵ErikOiseaux said:

This is the way. The nice cold metal feels great.

• 1y ago

Obviously, the front pretty much has to be glass, but the back needs to be made out of a material that gives it a good grip. GLASS, obviously isn't it. The only reason they use glass, is to seal it up, make it more water resistant, not to mention harder to get into for do-it-yourself-repairs. Ahhhh the days of plastic backs that you could pop out to replace the battery, sim card, external memory etc....LONG GONE.

• 1y agoedited
↵Brewski said:

Why is Plastic, glass, or metal the only options mentioned? None of those are premium materials.

I miss the tiny few phones that had Titanium, and Ceramic. Like the essential phone PH-1. You could drive a truck over that smartphone. Its price was initially too high, but once the price came down. It was well worth it.

But I have no problem with pastic smartphones, as long as they hold up well enough.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵ErikOiseaux said:

Induction charging CAN work with some metals, and there's also something called resonant charging, which will be absolutely fine with some metal-back phones. Thing is, there's no reason for this particular technology to be developed, there's no real demand for metal phones, and people are buying the glass sandwich no questions asked.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵p51d007 said:

Obviously, the front pretty much has to be glass, but the back needs to be made out of a material that gives it a good grip. GLASS, obviously isn't it. The only reason they use glass, is to seal it up, make it more water resistant, not to mention harder to get into for do-it-yourself-repairs. Ahhhh the days of plastic backs that you could pop out to replace the battery, sim card, external memory etc....LONG GONE.

The front could be made of flexible glass, like the one they use in foldable phones; it won't crack or shatter (although it will scratch like hell). At the moment, this technology is still maturing, but it can be perfected to the point where the front of the phone becomes crack- and shatter-proof.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵MikeManic said:

I myself would like an Aluminum Backplate. Won't crack, can take a beating, and is amazing for heat dispersion on hot days/overheating decives.

As well as it being a material that won't mess with wireless charging, I don't see why not use Aluminum.

That's true, aluminum has a permeability value of around 1 (iron is 200 000), which makes it nearly "invisible" to magnetic fields. It depends on the impurities and the frequency but all in all, shouldn't be a problem.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless