Debate: Are smartphones today boring? Why?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 9mo ago

I know manufacturers have to work around the huge screens of today, but we shouldn't give them a pass. Especially when we're paying north of $1000 for a phone every one or two years. All phones look the same and more or less have the same hardware inside. A little more effort at design, at least?

• 9mo ago

Who cares really, I need my phone to be practical and reliable not funky designed and wacky, you simply cannot do much with a flat slab of all screen, back in the day when you had a small screen and a physical keyboard you could go crazy with designs and they were superb, they also cost a fraction of the cost of todays devices.

But now outside of a folding/flip/rolling display you cant physically do much apart from lights, funky pattern frame and colour schemes, almost all upgrades have to be internal, but again, phones have levelled off with what components you can actually fit in side.

Everything else that has been removed makes no odds, headphone jack in 2023? not needed, power adaptor or cable? not needed, expandable storage? nice and handy but portable storage is cheaper and faster and more secure.

I would argue that all modern phones be sold WITH a screen protector and a protective case, or at the very least offered free of charge, I am way more likely to need that then a charger.

Having said all that, lack of competition is also allowing companies to get lazy, and the worst of these culprits was apple, they like to say they set trends, fine, they removed the jack so other companies realised they could cash in, they removed the charger, other companies followed, they charged insane amounts for their iphones....you get the drift, they were also the first company to refresh the iphone 6 series what 4 times? so other companies followed, and boom, now we have very small iterative gains year on year.

• 9mo ago

Every single one of them does exactly the same! Why not the manufacturers combine their knowledge and make one Uber smartphone?

• 9mo ago

There is only so much you can do with a rectangle slab.

They are pocket computers, the fun is in the apps and how you use them.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 9mo ago
↵GrandTheftPhone said:

There is only so much you can do with a rectangle slab.

They are pocket computers, the fun is in the apps and how you use them.

I guess you're right, but brands can play with materials, e.g., carbon fiber, kevlar, even wood. And you can also carve the back differently, add patterns and different colors, or make it transparent. There are ways to make phones fun and cool.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 9mo ago
↵Exikias said:

Every single one of them does exactly the same! Why not the manufacturers combine their knowledge and make one Uber smartphone?

Everyone will buy this Uber smartphone and it will be the end for hundreds of thousands of people in the industry, from designers and PRs to factory workers all the way up to high management stuff (I won't feel sorry about the latter). :)) But yeah, the same reason applies to the question, "Why don't we have cars that last 100 years?" We could have unbreakable stuff but the economy will fail miserably :))

• 9mo ago

Those who complain about boring phones today can take solace in knowing they are the ones responsible. The whole “eww, bezels” movement has brought us here and now y’all are b!tching about it. Hate under-display fingerprint scanners as much as I do? Go kick rocks, we could’ve had the pill like Samsungs used to have up until the S7. Enjoy front-facing speakers like the HTC One M7 and M8? You know what you can go do with yourself. I can go on but I think you get the gist of what I’m saying.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 9mo ago
↵Crispin_Gatieza said:

Those who complain about boring phones today can take solace in knowing they are the ones responsible. The whole “eww, bezels” movement has brought us here and now y’all are b!tching about it. Hate under-display fingerprint scanners as much as I do? Go kick rocks, we could’ve had the pill like Samsungs used to have up until the S7. Enjoy front-facing speakers like the HTC One M7 and M8? You know what you can go do with yourself. I can go on but I think you get the gist of what I’m saying.

Couldn't agree more! I've never been a supporter of the whole no-bezel movement. That and curved screens are the worst features to come to smartphones since the glass back. Sony still makes front-facing stereo systems AND symmetrical bezels, which I love. But Xperia phones are unpredictable and very very expensive...

• 9mo ago

Got to admit I normally don't agree with PA articles, but I've got to say you're on to something here.

While it's true there's only a limited amount of things people can do with a rectangular phone gadget, it only takes looking back 20-30 years to know how innovation have moved in a slug-like pace. I don't know if capitalism or the lack of competition that's causing this, but as with everything else (like Hollywood for example), leading companies are much too complacent to try anything ground-breaking with pre-existing IPs and tech. Remember when the USA and Japan provided us gadgets that wowed us year after year? General consumers are so obsessed with brand loyalty these days it's like nobody cares how boring tech have become.

• 9mo ago

We used to have phones made of steel, ditched that to make phones lighter(not really , it was just costly),now we have phones of 6.7inches with 5000 - 7000mah batteries , completely destroying the reason to steer away from steel. Now we got rid of 3.5mm jack , denying me my much costly headphones to be used. I'd rather not buy such a phone. Why?(Manufacturers-why not, we can sell wireless variants to make money).

Then price of a mid tier phones of today was equal to the flagship phones 5 years back.

Besides, why make phones of carbon fiber , Kevlar ,steel when you're gonna chuck it after 2 years or so.

There's also the biggest reason of all-stagnation of mobile industry innovation. Whatever's currently been done sounds like a gimmick.

The fairphone addresses some of these issues by upgradable hardware.

Fairphone would have been a substantial success if their ability to swap hardware was able to keep up with latest top tier processors and camera and what not.

I wish main stream manufacturers would design phones more toward practicality by making certain series of phones with 7000mah batteries.

a Fairphone with 7000mah battery made out of steel with 3.5mm jack , latest snapdragon processor would be a dream come true.

Alas! That does not seem to be happening.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless