iOS 7 beta reportedly bricking non-developer iPhones
1. Galaviz8 (Posts: 8; Member since: 06 May 2013)
Thats what you get with a company that hates their phone getting hacked!
27. frydaexiii (Posts: 1386; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
They don't love it, which is what "Developer Edition" is for.
23. joaolx (Posts: 364; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
What? People have their iphones bricked because they are using iOS Beta 3. The betas have an expiration date to make sure there are no people running old betas and male them update. People didn't upgrade and they get it bricked. And it's only happening to non developers because developers upgrade because they have to test their apps. What does it have to do with hacking? You don't need to hack to run beta. I have been running it since Beta 2, didn't hack and didn't get bricked.
13. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Yeah a feature - ha! I wonder if the 'feature' will delay the production release of iOS7?
4. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
What happened Apple?
Can't handle colour?
6. jaoowolabi (Posts: 201; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
Apple also said that their older ios 7 betas would expire if you dont update them
8. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Soooo, not really bricking them. Got it.
15. Luuthian (Posts: 223; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
It's normal for Apple betas to expire after a certain time. If this is happening to Beta 3 devices then no one should be surprised. Hardly the hallmark of a bad product, especially when the fault lays with the people simply not updating... But hey, let's troll for the fun of it, right?
16. joey_sfb (Posts: 4241; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
If they are bricking it by design or purposeful means, my question to you is that the iPhone you pay with your money belongs to you or Apple.
I will bring a class action lawsuit to Apple if there's proof that they done so intentionally.
18. illusionmist (Posts: 138; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
Go install Windows 8.1 preview, and try to sue Microsoft when it expires. Good luck!
36. raghu67 (Posts: 26; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
windows 8.1 preview or RTM will expire..
but ur pc can still be used..
it won't brick..
19. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1916; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
I doubt you will have any succes, since the bricking is hardly permanent. Just hook it up to Itunes and roll back to IOS 6
25. joaolx (Posts: 364; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Apple has had expiration date for beta software since they have beta software. They want developers to have the latest beta and when the GM releases they make sure no one has Beta software. iOS Beta also has automatic bug and crash reports that are sent anonymously to Apple to fix bug and stuff and I doubt they need it after GM is released. And the bricking isn't permanent. It's super easy to unbrick.
29. Ninetysix (Posts: 1890; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Keep us updated on how that goes. Good luck.
42. jbags (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Sometimes I worry about the job market for attorneys and think maybe I shouldn't be going to law school, but thanks for making me feel better. I forget how little about the law most people know. Not trying to be an ass, but after so many lawyer jokes by Law & Order armchair lawyers, you start to not care.
24. joaolx (Posts: 364; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Exactly. And why would people have old beta versions that are buggy as hell? This article is a little of a fail but the comment section is this website gets worse every week.
17. illusionmist (Posts: 138; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
Well, iOS betas always expire. If you have no idea what you're doing, but still want to put a pre-released beta software on your main and only device, you kind of deserve it.
Hilarious to see all those hating comments, though. lol
21. BillyG (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
what do you expect from fandroids? all they know are specs, higher specs, and laggy performance, and thats it
28. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1916; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
lol that's about the dumbest remark I have seen in a long time. And I'm an iphone user
33. androidfanboy (Posts: 162; Member since: 24 Jun 2013)
You really are a stuck up and blind fanboy
39. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
My friend had that problem. He never updated his beta. You have two choices you can register your device with the developer kit, or
You can reinstall iOS 6.
30. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
it must be a bunch of 10 year olds in here? Always some android fan in apple articles cracking jokes.
But its good to see feedback from users who knows what's causing this problem.
31. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
iOS has actual Developers??
Personally, it'll be interesting when the final build gets pushed to all the new iPhone 5Cheapsies and the iPhone 5S'sssss; we will bear witness to history's biggest Nucular' core meltdown.
Then Apple will say, you updated wrong, not our fault. No Applecare: no replacement.
32. Ninetysix (Posts: 1890; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
I don't think you have a brain or maybe your parents dropped you when you were a baby. Developers profit more on iOS vs any other mobile operating system out there.
35. raghu67 (Posts: 26; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
innovative feature of IOS 7...
phone bricks itself if not updated...
38. Ninetysix (Posts: 1890; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Apple: EclipseGSX, you're too poor to be a developer so please don't install a beta version of the mobile OS that you're not supposed to have access to.
You're updating wrong.
40. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
My friend had that problem. He never updated his beta. You have two choices you can register your device with the developer kit, or you can reinstall iOS 6.
41. SeepMan (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
This is what we get for not being developers
43. jbags (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
I'm going to get flamed for this, but hell, I'm too old to worry about what people think of me. Who the hell cares which OS is better? If it works for you, congratulations. Go use it to actually do something with your life. "But my OS is better and I have to make sure everyone knows about it!" Pathetic. Really think about what you're arguing about. It's stupid, and really doesn't matter. iOS and Android will keep going on no matter what you bicker about. Different OSs work for different people. It's like trying to argue which is the best flavor. Just pick what works for you, and there you go. Arguments like these are why America is going down the crapper.
45. profperez1 (Posts: 52; Member since: 08 May 2012)
Perhaps everyone should go to Wiki and understand what beta means. My 2nd graded is out of school in a couple of hours---she can explain it to you.