Xperia Z1 coming with the “world's leading camera in a smartphone” according to a Sony press release leak, full specs list also in tow
A Sony press release concerning the imminent unveiling of the Sony Xperia Z1 has been leaked and obtained by the folks over at the XPERIA Blog, and it confirms a bunch of things, some juicier than other. Of course, with less than 4 hours left until Sony's event starts over at IFA 2013 in Berlin, the fact that said press release confirms pretty much everything that we knew is less interesting, so we won't go into too much detail on the things that we do know.
Fortunately, there are quite a few things that we didn't know, or simply things that needed a more clear-cut clarification. One such example is that the now confirmed 20.7MP shooter has been proclaimed by Sony (basing this off of a consumer study carried out by Strategy Analytics) as “the world's leading camera in a smartphone”. Of course, while the 1/2.3''Exmor RS sensor- and G Lens-touting unit sounds quite impressive, we'll gladly give credit to Sony, though only once we've had a chance to confirm the capabilities of the Xperia Z1's snapper for ourselves.
The press release also puts the weight of the Sony Xperia Z1 at 170g, with dimensions of 144x74x8.5mm, so it's a fair bit heavier and a tad bulkier than rivals (and even its predecessor, the Xperia Z). The Z1 will ship with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean running under the hood, and is slated for a September launch, meaning the wait will very soon be over. So stay tuned, for we have a lot of Xperia Z1-related coverage we'll be sharing with you very soon!
Sony Xperia Z1 press release Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
HTC One 2 aka HTC M8 rumor round-up: camera, specs, release date and design
05 Dec 2013, 10:44
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
Sony Xperia Z1 press release
via: XPERIA Blog
3. PunyPoop (Posts: 506; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
3 Hours to go! It's gonna be an expensive month for most of us!
9. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
I WANT!! And the mini version!!
34. akki20892 (Posts: 1680; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Sony Sony Sony.............Xperia Z1 is coming in my home soon........!!!
Sony it's time to show your "Z Class"
35. alexfiran (Posts: 40; Member since: 13 Jun 2013)
in a couple of minutes you'll change your avatar image:)))
38. akki20892 (Posts: 1680; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
this is iconic image for me or anyone bcoz......this both giant thing combine in one place - Nokia & Android.
i'm a fan of Nokia,
i love sony and
i like Battlefield Bad Company 2 Multiplayer.
49. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5177; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
MAKE BELIEVE! Can't wait till this phone launches
2. someones4 (Posts: 607; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
and i already have at least six devices competing to be my new friend
21. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Or maybe still x7 just x3 of x7 are clear?
6. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3742; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
The power, the camera, the splash, the elegance, the experience, the awesomeness.
The All In One Sony Xperia Z1.
18. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3742; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh, be quiet Crap. Go back to your room and wait for the Galaxy Note 3 announcement.
50. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5177; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
XperiaDROID don't forget the WATER PROOF base
7. Switch00 (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
If I see it correctly, no headphones in the kit? Hahaha... what a shame.
32. Lyngdoh (Posts: 163; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
You won't be laughing anymore when this phone is released.
36. vikas.rrr (Posts: 9; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
i can't say about Sony but usually most of headphones bundled with a new handset are crap, barring htc who i think bundle beats headsets do they or do they not?
8. FeRoZ (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Only 16gb internal ?? When will consumer get full payback by companies ?? Come on its almost 2014 the minimum internal should b 64gb n don't tell me of micro sd card bcuz U can't move ur big apps n games in dat
53. FeRoZ (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
I no sd card expandable im talking about internal storage bcuz u cant move ur big gamez n appz in sd card got it now :)
11. fanboy1974 (Posts: 820; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
If it comes out on Verizon I would consider it.
12. wicpromd (Posts: 242; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
sony didnt claimed it yet PA
so it is not suitable to post it yet
14. papss (Posts: 2182; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Worlds leading camera? I can't wait to see if true or if marketing hype.none the less it has my attention.
43. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I'm right there with you. Mildly interested, but hardly intrigued. Especially with just a 1/2.3 sensor. Yeesh.
15. pwnarena (Posts: 438; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i'll laugh veeeerryy hard if this disappoints....
48. pyradark (Posts: 624; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Since S4 announced up to now, for note 3, Im still dissapoint
16. zachattack (Posts: 202; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Yeah worlds leading camera remains to be seen. Interesting how big a deal they make this phone, you'd think they'd put it on all carriers like LG. doubtful though since Sony never goes to Verizon.
20. omacmagic (Posts: 25; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
If it does end up to be good as the Lumia 1020 or close, I would like Google to partner up with them and make a Xperia Nexus 6 in 2014. If I so live, that would be my next phone : D
22. pwnarena (Posts: 438; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i think their promo material only says "best camera in a WATERPROOF smartphone." there's leak regarding this on esato.
looks like it's not going to be the best amongst androids after all.
31. Lyngdoh (Posts: 163; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Bigger memory > Bigger price point > Bigger price complain.
NAND memories are expensive buddy.
39. ila420 (Posts: 7; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
But there should me an option for those who need bigger memory and don't care about the price like S4, if Sammy will release i9506 with 32GB I will definitely get that instead of Z1.
40. FeRoZ (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Price doesnt matter if 1 can spend 600 to 700 $ on a smartphone he surely dont mind spending 50 $ 2 get 64 gb memory bcuz a smartphone is 2 b ur friend 4 nxt 2 yrz ...
44. ila420 (Posts: 7; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
If you are a gamer, you need bigger internal memory otherwise root the device to use apps like foldermount.
54. FeRoZ (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Y root a phone 2 void warranty ?? I no dis rooting stuff but seriously dis cant b a reason 4 a smartphone manufacturer dey just hired some bunch of idiots who really dont care about customers need n want look at xiami n meizu dey offer 64 gb n 128 gb is sony so poor dan dos 2 chinese companies so ridicoulous...
45. Lyngdoh (Posts: 163; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
The rich can afford anything. 16 GB minimum is good enough for those who already have a 64 GB memory card or those who prefer removable memory. I do agree with ila420 that they should give an option for 32 GB.
55. FeRoZ (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Its not about being rich r poor if u can spend 600 $ on a phone u surely can 50 $ more 2 get something better if not go n buy ur self a midrange phone like moto x...LOLZ...
25. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I don't like that (according to leaks) Sony Xperia Z1 is even bigger than Sony Xperia Z. Would be nice to see 5 inch display in more compact body. For example as Samsung did with Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 has 5 inch display while Galaxy S3 has 4.8 inch display but Galaxy S4 still has a smaller body compared to Galaxy S3. :(
42. jb4674 (Posts: 98; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Quit whining about this. This device isn't made for little kids.
26. daniel_bargs (Posts: 320; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
hate the embedded battery!!! ARGGGHH!!
27. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1531; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
One Sony is making everyone believe. The best of Sony is getting better. Taking revenge of XZ.
28. GMS85 (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Unleash the BEASTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Sony MAKE.BELIEVE
30. Switch00 (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
I'll bet Note III camera turns out better.
37. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 723; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Well we know that it'll suck when the lights really go low seeing how there's no proper xenon flash. Only question is what are they doing with all of those MP's. We know what Nokia is doing with all theirs.
41. sergiobr (Posts: 209; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Still ceptic, cause I have 3 Sony cameras (TX66 and DSC-HX200V and HX9V) at 100% crop is ... full of noise. I´m a user of Samsung (my S3 is fantastic !) but in photo quality my 808 is unbeatable ! Keeping the two with me, let´s wait for photo comparision between Lumia 1020 and new Sony to see what it brings. Hope Note III bring some OIS etc today. Sitting and waiting.
47. Edmund (Posts: 603; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Rubbish - It's the same crappy CMOS sensor. The Lumia 1020 has a bigger sensor and superior Zeiss optics
52. xtian1103 (Posts: 352; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
lumia 1020 is the best cameraphone in the world hands down. but this phone is a better all around performer. i'm not buying a phone with it's camera alone.