White Google Nexus 4 unboxing and hands-on
We are calling it a beauty because the white Google Nexus 4, as all other white models of popular phones, is truly more eye-catching than its black counterpart. It is like yin and yang coming together when we put the two models next to each other. But at the same time, we're underwhelmed by the fact that only the back plate and the phone's sides have been given a white paint job, while the front side has not been touched at all.
Still, the glittery white Nexus 4 is a looker. LG's trademark Crystal Reflection pattern applied on the phone's glass back bumps the bling factor to over 9000. But while its glass surface feels premium to the touch, some might find its slipperiness rather annoying. In fact, putting the phone on anything that isn't perfectly flat will cause it to gradually slide off, as the case is with the black Nexus 4 smartphone.
A white phone needs a white case, doesn't it? Along with our white Google Nexus 4 we were sent the official white bumper case as well. It provides solid protection for the phone's sides, reducing potential drop damage to a minimum. On top of that, the front and back sides are also protected against scratching while the smartphone is resting on a flat surface. At the same time, all of the phone's buttons and ports are easily accessible. However, keep in mind that even with the bumper case on, the screen and back side of the Google Nexus 4 are still pretty vulnerable, so avoid putting the handset in the same pocket with your keys.
Nothing has changed under the hood of the Google Nexus 4, and it even comes in the same 8- and 16-gigabyte varieties. Nothing new has been added in terms of accessories either. Tucked in the box are the usual wall charger and microUSB cable, both of which are black in color, a quick start guide and a SIM card ejector.
Want one of these? Well, the Google Play store is the place to go. The white Google Nexus 4 is now available for the low off-contract price of $300 and $350 for the 8 and 16 gigabyte versions respectively.
White Google Nexus 4 hands-on Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
White Google Nexus 4 hands-on
3. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
I'm detecting some racist undertones.....
12. valapsp (Posts: 469; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
Blue is glue. (Mission Impossible:Ghost Protocol)
14. dorianb (Posts: 347; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
15. Rorschach (Posts: 37; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
You've got to be kidding me. This phone isn't fully white. It actually looks half black than anyone can see. Is the color really determined by only half as much to use with that? Not at all. My guess is that they decided to use two-toned as people want, otherwise, LG really decided to give a different appearance to go and want a change to do look more like. It's just that simple.
43. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 359; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
The latest white color phone that looks good would be the Pantech Vega A870
40. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3736; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Let me guess you look like Powder right? lol
52. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Indeed, I love chopping up powder with a razor on my nexus 7 with gorilla glass, My Ipad 2 sucked because I could only use a credit card. From now on gorilla glass is a must on my tablets.
2. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Either go all the way and make the whole phone white....or don't do it at all...I love the nexus 4 with all my heart but it just doesn't look right...
6. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I dunno, I think the two-tone look works on the right phone. It's pretty snazzy on the Lumia 928. But in both cases either they didn't want to or couldn't afford to make multiple faces for the phone.
16. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Yeh and have you seen the htc 8s ......gorgeous!!!
25. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The 8s isn't bad, but the bottom of the phone reminds me of the lip on a 2009 HTC Hero. I prefer the hint of color on the front of the 8X.
32. rahulz (Posts: 116; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I think it (half white) has to do with the OS itself
they want it to match with android jellbean's holo UI
and yes like you mentioned making the whole phone white sounds alot better.
53. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Bob marley edition nexus 4, black+white=better than both
5. _Bone_ (Posts: 2103; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Is it safe to say that since no Android version is mentioned, it runs 4.3? (which would only make sense if Google said not to talk about the OS version).
33. rahulz (Posts: 116; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I don't think so but i really want to see what next android version bring over current JB
my guess is 4.3 will be a minor update, 5.0 will be a giant update.
54. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I'm expecting a new edition gapps, maybe something new notification wise, maybe some new location settings.
9. donjunior (Posts: 50; Member since: 28 May 2013)
Samsung S4 is 50x better than this flop nexus 4.
11. SleepingOz (unregistered)
50x? That's a lil exaggerated, don't you think?
26. bucky (Posts: 1280; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
You can have all the craziest specs in the world but the nexus is still a smoother experience. Smoothest android phone i have ever used and if it wasnt for the crappy speaker and so so camera, it would still be in my pocket now
46. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Iv'e spotted a brainwashed b@@ fanboy™
10. clevername (Posts: 1427; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Why is this a thing? The unboxing of a different color? Its the same as the black one. There's no separate unboxing for a white iPhone, a blue razr, or a yellow, cyan, red, or white Lumia...
13. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Am I the only one who finds it better looking with the bumper on?
18. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I always wondered about these all-glass designs (iPhone 4, Nexus 4, etc). It may look pretty and "premium", but how is it practical? Why spend so much money or attention on a feature that's going to get covered up by a case?
21. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5379; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Why spend so much money or attention on a feature that's going to get covered up by a case?"
It is not a rule, it depends on owner.
24. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
True, but I bet a lot more people were willing to toss around a naked iPhone 3 than the 4. It's inherently more fragile. I think LG could have gone in a different direction with the Nexus 4, even if it was just a nicely textured premium plastic.
23. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5379; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
For me LG Nexus 4 looks better without a bumper. :)
19. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Half black, half white, doesn't look nice! All white looks much better!
Black looks nice to!
20. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Too much thumbs down
27. Rorschach (Posts: 37; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
it's due to the large number of people at work who grew tired of sitting on their hands so they do it here.. either you put your thumbs back in your trousers or be positive and leave some good feedback :)
28. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I thumbed him down for whining about all the thumbs down.
29. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5379; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"it's due to the large number of people at work who grew tired of sitting on their hands so they do it here..."
Or maybe people thumb down because some commenters deserve to be thumbed down? :)
31. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I thumb up and down based on whether or not it's a valid comment. The first thread here is crap (including my comment).
42. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Need more thumbs down. C'mon Samsung fans are you sleeping?
30. imkyle (Posts: 968; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
U G L Y you aint got no alibi.
Seriously though, make the front white too.
34. Taters (Posts: 2579; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It would look ugly if the frame surrounding the screen was white. The whole point of the Optimus G/Nexus 4 and Xperia Z design is that the screen is completely invisible with the phone turned off. You put a white frame in and you can clearly see where the screen is and the whote frame would look whiter than the rest of the phone because that pool of deep black would create crazy contrast with the white frame.
The white Xperia S, Xperia Z, and LG Optimus G looks much better with an all black screen.
I think the mainly black screen works well with the Nokia and HTC Window phones too. Sure you can see a very thin color frame surrounding the mainly black but it is still predominantly black on the front of the 8X and 920 as well.
It's in right now and lets just leave it as that.
36. Cesar (Posts: 125; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
should be all white and not only on the back
37. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 110; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
I've had the white Nexus 4 for months. Well, I only put a white decal on mine...still counts!
38. at_newsolavei (Posts: 10; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
my49monthly.com PERFECT FOR MY GIRLFRIEND ON SOLAVEI
41. KickRocks (Posts: 104; Member since: 22 Mar 2011)
When will this be released in the US????
45. BesnikRrustemi (Posts: 43; Member since: 08 Jan 2013)
it looks Great,but why black on front ??
with this black front it really looks like the iphone 3g/3gs did.
why not all white ?
49. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
To me, it just looks like it has a white phone case over the original Black Nexus 4.
51. fishywishy (Posts: 6; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
I really don't get the big deal... its white... O M G! -_- next...
55. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2280; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Why the front body is black except glass?
56. mydi.maus (unregistered)
haha its white and same spec..