Verizon's Samsung Galaxy S4 first handset to work with Big Red's next-gen LTE
Once the phone is updated, it will work over Verizon's Advance Wireless Service (AWS) pipeline enabling speeds to more than double. Verizon is quietly putting together the network now, thanks to AWS spectrum it acquired in a deal with Comcast. New York City will be the first market with the faster data speed.
Verizon says that of its current line-up of LTE enabled smartphones, only the Samsung Galaxy S4 is equipped to be just an update away from working over its next-generation LTE network.
source: Bloomberg via SlashGear
1. Malique001 (Posts: 58; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Shouldn't the iPhone 5 on Verizon also be able to support AWS bands?
4. HASHTAG (unregistered)
And why should the iPhone 5 be able to support the AWS bands? Is it because it's an iPhone?
But the article makes it pretty clear that the S4 is the only phone with the ability to support it.
6. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
From apples past you will be lucky if the iphone 6 has AWS support, they will probably pull another hipster move and put dual lte radios first because the people working for them are idiots.
26. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
And all the bunch of unsmart, uneducated average joes®
40. Penny (Posts: 1309; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Can't always trust what you read on this site. The S4 is not the only or even the first device released that will support Verizon's AWS. The Lumia 928, Blackberry Q10, and some other devices also support it.
18. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3043; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
LOL even if the iPhone 5 could do you think Apple would actually allow it? No, why give a major advance upgrade to an old or existing device when you can save and reserve it for the next? Apple needs a selling point for the next iPhone, ya know.
25. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 268; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
you are 110% right Apple would NEVER give a major update like that when the iP5S is waiting in the mist.
34. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4504; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
The next phone that will be compatible to Verizon's new LTE service will be the Samsung Galaxy Note III.
Man I can't wait for that phone!
36. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
iPhone 5 will be able to support AWS bands just by connecting your iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S4 via a special Thunderbolt to Micro USB adapter (sold separately) and syncing it via KIES.
38. nofear (Posts: 151; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Lack of features and customizable and small screen. that's not worthed to be included.
41. jbreault (Posts: 25; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
iphone 5 is old tech this story is about new tech lol
2. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 268; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
VZW is moving fast with this LTE business, hate their prices but they dont play around when it comes to coverage .
7. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
It depends where you live, where I live VZW service is horrible, tmobile and ATT here are better and cheaper.
9. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I agree to a certain extent. Where I live and work Verizon isnt all that great. I think AT&T has better coverage here. At the same time....I think Verizon has less dead zones than other carriers. Or smaller dead zones.
T MO and Sprint suck here, Verizon and AT&T dont.
10. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Sprint sucks everywhere. IT really depends where you live, all carriers have about equal coverage in major cities then smaller ones usually have one carrier with better coverage.
19. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 268; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
i live in upstate NY and they are all good with sprint and tmo of coarse being the worse pair and i agree with you guys it really just depends where you live . and i was talking about LTE coverage att is catching up but now there playing "catch up" just like the other two are now paying catch up.
28. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3043; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Yea T-Mobile only offers EDGE and Roaming in my area, Sprint only has 3G but small parts around have LTE as my friend was able to pick up 4G LTE in some roads and got 16 down 10 up. I KNOW that wasn't wimax, lol he was using the Galaxy Victory LTE phone on Virgin Mobile.
Verzion has LTE and gets really amazing download speeds here, AT&T is a hit and miss where some places I can get 10-12 down and other times as low as 1-2 down. But it is always constant and never goes to 3G or Edge, thank god.
29. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 268; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
LTE has been in the Albany "Capital" area but has recently expanded so im constantly getting 20-30 down with about 15-20 up. verizon LTE im not sure about them but sprint is total trash (dont get me started on wimax availability) and tmo is eeeh .
30. mcshank (Posts: 47; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
Sprint only sucks for 4g due to clearwire. If they weren't s**t and could figure their finances correctly, wimax would be finished by now instead of dead in the water. I work for sprint and I hate them. I love verizon and its Great to know that my Droid X on 3g beats 80% of sprint customers around the US.. They will get better but its going to take at least 6months to another year before majority of the states see it and until then its only going to get worse. I wouldn't be surprised to see sprint drop to 4th place carrier before they start seeing major improvements and growth again... If clearwire goes through and sprint and softbank combine.
3. papss (unregistered)
I'm pretty interested in seeing what their next level of LTE is
8. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
LTE advanced which is basically what 4g should of been. The carriers are lying filth, their current speeds are still considered 3g and they falsely advertise it as 4g/lte.
12. papss (unregistered)
I've gotten some amazing speeds on AT&T LTE that is faster than my wifi at home so I don't agree with that statement.. Might I add I have an amazing router and Roadrunner with boost..
13. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Yes but it is FAKE 4g, real 4g is 100Mbps. Is it possible to get 100Mbps on 4g? No. you are lucky if you can get half of that on lte.
20. stevenandrade3 (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 May 2013)
Those are theoretical speeds. Hints the words "theoretical" duh!
22. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 268; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
100mbps is the theoretical max not a (congested network average ) ive agreed with you in the past HDShatter but i gotta say nay on that last one
5. Omarc07 (Posts: 279; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
thats awesome i just cancelled tmobile and att and will be getting Verizon next week was gonna get iPhone 5 now i think ill get the s4.
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9093; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If you love Android, S4 or One is the way to go. If you like Apple, iPhone 5 without a doubt. Can't go wrong with either choice.
14. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Wait for snapdragon 800 or intel phones if you want a real reason to upgrade. Snapdragon 600 is a small improvement over the s4 pro.
27. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I gave you a green cause of S4, or else 5 Reds!
16. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
So basically they're getting the original LTE speeds that they started off with, before everyone got an LTE phone, right?
17. BigRed83 (Posts: 143; Member since: 19 May 2008)
"Verizon says that of its current line-up of LTE enabled smartphones, only the Samsung Galaxy S4 is equipped to be just an update away from working over its next-generation LTE network."
An update S4 owners will receive when the S6 is released. Remember the Thunderbolt and BIONIC. Be fearful or skeptical.
23. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 268; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
after that Galaxy Nexus incident how could anyone believe a rumor/statement the includes both Verizon and Update in the same sentence.
21. Danishs (Posts: 147; Member since: 23 May 2013)
I don't know about you guys, but over here VZW is just 5-10$ more a month over AT&T
24. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 268; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
i doubt its a location thing but where i am my att bill is about 100-103$ while my friends bill is about 130-140 i dk why but it is.
31. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 301; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Curious to know what additional chips the s4 has that the note II doesn't.
33. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
i have both verizon and att. overall both are expensive. however att caps after 5gb so verizon is cheaper
35. roldefol (Posts: 3228; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Exclusive to the GS4? Is this something its radio chip supports that embedded SOCs like the S4 Plus do not? Makes me wonder about future releases like the Motorola XFON that 'only' have an S4 Pro. I can't see Motorola missing out on its major benefactor's latest network innovations.
39. Penny (Posts: 1309; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
I believe the Lumia 928 came out before the S4, correct? The Lumia 928 will also support Verizon's AWS, so why the misinformed article?