Verizon to say goodbye to 2G and 3G CDMA in 2021
Verizon no doubt will refarm the spectrum to expand its LTE footprint. Other carriers are closing down outdated technology such as the iDEN pipeline that Sprint is closing down next year, and by 2017 AT&T will shutter its 2G GSM network. The last of the analog networks already disappeared in 2008. With spectrum scarce and LTE coverage beckoning, carriers need to eliminate rarely used spectrum and refarm it to expand its LTE coverage.
By the end of next year, Verizon's LTE service will cover its entire 3G footprint and the carrier will introduce VoLTE in 2013. Currently, calls made by Verizon customers are routed over the CDMA pipeline but Big Red will eventually have voice and data carried over its LTE network.
UPDATE: So it turns out that a "decade worth of pre-warning" does not necessarily indicate that Verzion's 2G and 3G service will be around for exactly another 10 years. Here is an official comment on the matter: "The Verizon Wireless 2G and 3G networks will be available into the foreseeable future. Recently published dates are guidelines that we are giving customers who have to plan, fund, and transition large enterprise projects to the faster speed networks. The Verizon Wireless 2G and 3G networks will be available as long as necessary to support customers who may have mission critical projects on those networks."
1. KParks23 (Posts: 444; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
hopefully by then data will be really cheep... im unlimited 4G anyway :)
14. Castanedaa99 (Posts: 28; Member since: 07 Nov 2011)
By then the carriers will say we're in "5G." lol
2. Mark.J.Linskiy (unregistered)
Oh no, but the world is ending this year. Lol, just kidding.
3. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
And mind you, LTE as we now have it, will be 2G by then easily.
4. oldmandaddy (Posts: 64; Member since: 01 May 2010)
He does not have to give ten years warning to shut down 2G and 3G, I am wishing he will shut them down when they finish 4G LTE with voLTE in 2013 and expand LTE Advance next , that's the best plan than he said above.
5. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
reasonable!!! 2021 is still a decade (minus 3) away!!
6. Izzy_V (Posts: 216; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
By 2020 we might be using the technology Japan is using....now lol.
9. fanesxx (Posts: 66; Member since: 19 May 2011)
Samsung Galaxy S X........hot name, wouldn't get it, but hot name
11. -box- (Posts: 3709; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Will they offer simultaneous voice, data, and text over LTE? No? Ok, moving along...
12. christianqwerty (Posts: 460; Member since: 05 May 2011)
At&t already phasing out 2g and replacing it with 4g(hspa+) , little slow there verizon :p
13. HowMyDictate (Posts: 18; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
HSPA is not 4g, regardless of the brainwashing AT&T tries to fool you.
15. oldmandaddy (Posts: 64; Member since: 01 May 2010)
Conclusions , 3G sucks , phase them out now.