This metal-clad Galaxy S IV concept render should be framed at Samsung's design desk
1. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Take note, Samsung. This thing is beautiful.
10. fugglyPhone (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
the s4 will have LAST gen GPU!--- all you samsung sh33ps can only dream of these specs... when the next iphone comes out it wil have the world fastest gpu period and will crush the likes of g4. BWAHAHA.....drool :D
41. iphoneluver (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
the only people who needs help are android users with their buggy os snd last gen gpu
15. ama3654 (Posts: 249; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
The iphone 5 has a very good gpu no doubt, but its still the worst and most boring smartphone you could ever use with its puny little lcd screen, hmmm what can i say to the next iphone....you can wear a tuxedo on a goat, but its still gonna be a goat!
22. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Actually, the next iPhone will probably have a PowerVR SGX554MP4, the same as in the iPad 4. Or maybe a SGX554MP3, like they did with the iPhone 5; previous iPad's GPU -1 core and up the clock speed. The next iPad will probably have the Rogue series, which will be the most powerful GPU, but certainly not the next iPhone.
All evidence seems to point to the Exynos 5 Octa (which will most likely be in the GS4) having a PowerVR SGX544MP3, which certainly isn't bad, but still not very competitive seeing as though it's not up to par with even the current iPad's GPU, and will get demolished by the next iPad's GPU.
Seems like a bad move by Samsung.
38. iphoneluver (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
yes the s4 will have the 544 but the fact still remains its last gen gpu and will be crushed when the new iphone comes out with the powervr sgx 554
42. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
That's why I hope that the evidence is wrong and the Exynos 5 Octa will have a Mali-T678 instead of the PowerVR SGX544MP3. Though I haven't seen any official benchmarks or performance claims for the Mali-T678, except for vaguely remembering reading something about the Mali-T658 being twice as powerful as the T604 on Anandtech, and the T678 being 50% more powerful than the T658; so the Mali-T678 should be about 150% of the Mali-T604 if I'm remembering correctly, I wouldn't count on that though.
If Samsung doesn't use the PowerVR Rogue series or the Mali-T678, they're basically handing over victory to Apple in terms of GPU power.
But, I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Samsung, so I don't see why I'm thinking of this. I want to see how the Adreno 330 stacks up to the competition.
68. Taters (Posts: 3518; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Um the iPhone 5 doesn't use the 554 and neither will the iPhone 6 unless the battery is huge and the screen res is jacked up to iPad 3 red, which has a zero percent chance of happening.
Besides, Samsung doesn't exactly need the best GPU with a quad core A15 set up.
47. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
How do you know next iphone will have the world fastet gpu in the world ?comparing sgx 554 to gtx690 the sgx is just a toy if you talking about mobile gpu the novathor a9600 soc will use next gen power vr rogue gpu
57. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Your thoughts are more fuggly than your name!
60. Jphones (Posts: 235; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Are you serious? ohh the iphone is more powerful. I could put a rocket engine in a Volvo still a Volvo. I'd rather have a farrari engine in a farrari. It could always be faster doesn't matter its still boringgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg 5s will be a 4 door rocket volvo
45. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I'm pretty sure that was only if metal was on the back plate of the device, not the sides like it is in the render. As long as there is no metal over the NFC chip, which it isn't in the render, I think it's fine. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
There's metal around the sides of the render and matte polycarbonate (I'm guessing) for the actual back plate which doesn't interfere with NFC. This design seems very nice, especially when compared with the glossy polycarbonate and faux brushed aluminum band on the GS3. The front speakers are also a nice touch.
48. takay0 (Posts: 144; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
oh so thats why HTC stop doin metal uni-body to their phones?! i kept wonderin why because it was great! but it the NFC cant work with it- it make sense now =\ i liked it
2. saffant (Posts: 228; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Actually looks pretty good. Albeit somewhat iPhone 5-ish at the bottom. But I guess the 5" Full HD screen soon clears up the difference :P
16. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
We aren't discussing iCrap history here so please refrain yourself.
21. ama3654 (Posts: 249; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
in your dreams ish33p, go to a corner and use your little toy iphone ok, allow the big boys and girls to use their proper smartphones
63. s.mrabet (Posts: 117; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Sure its a phone, you can call and text, but is it a SMARTphone??
30. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
How can you call it laggy when all the reviews on it are based on pre-production software? Wait for reviews of the official release model with final software before calling it laggy.
36. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
and if you take a look at those specs near the picture, you see that there is no great difference between these specs with those of SXZ
56. HouTexan (Posts: 315; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
Sammy separates from the competition with SOFTWARE. And it isn't even close.
67. motty (Posts: 84; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
So true, xperia z is beautiful smartphone ever... And take note of water resistant
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 1497; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Manufacturers should take time to look at concept renders for them to make a phone with an excellent design
5. roscuthiii (Posts: 1863; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Looks nice... but the speaker design at the bottom could use some more streamlining; the angles clash.
6. ama3654 (Posts: 249; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
OHHH! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL, pls pls Samsung use this or better yet ceramics:)
7. hung2900 (Posts: 817; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Just a rumor: there is nothing as Exynos 5450 Quad-core 2GHz CPU or Mali-658T availble yet
29. Topcat488 (Posts: 1170; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Shut-up, from Germany... Now we drink our beer yeah? :)
8. sonofzeus (Posts: 95; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
one department in which the samsung is lagging behind others is the design department
They should start thinking about hiring some good designers into the team
12. fugglyPhone (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
well samsung is limited now that apple has all their great designs patented. TAKE THAT SAMSUNG
19. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
That useless piece of iCrap metal you call design? When being pathetic became fashion?
9. ffaarrooqq (Posts: 64; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Nice Concept. I would wish to see samsung s4 with some eye catching looks and premium feel. And I am 100% sure, S4 is going to beat iphone5 with a margin.
13. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
now after so much advancements and this being "2013" what i and almost everyone else wants is, 1-A real SOLID build S4, 2-Mali 658, 3- 2Gb plus RAM, 4- starting from 32GB memory 5- at least 4000mAh battery! and ofcourse better and frequent Software Updates!!!
im really pissed at sammy's all plastic s**t now! if S4 would be all plastic like before, boom, sammy will lose a very loyal customer! and im sure there would be a lot here who will agree with me!
26. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
I really dont mind the plastic like most samsung users because like the rest of the world i cover my phone with a case and screen protector.
When someone comes out with a unbreakable screen then maybe i would care but then again i might just use a smaller case or a full body screen protectors which would defeat the whole premium feel to a phone.
17. amozhi (Posts: 105; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
If this is S4 I'll give my S3 to my wife and I'll buy S4.
18. rustyimtiaz (Posts: 44; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
if samsung takes this design then SIV will be really THE NEXT BIG THING!!!! :P
23. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3023; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
This is good...
I hope Samsung doesn't take anymore clues from the SIII (it's good looking too but now it's getting overused).
25. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Um, no. I dislike this design.
Lacks the subtlety, cohesion, and attention to details.
Look at those bottom speakers, they're just too big and squared.
It would be good only if the screen would be completely black and even closer to the bezel
27. tedkord (Posts: 5113; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Front facing stereo speakers - yes please.
28. Loubielou (Posts: 239; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Just hope this is the Real Images of the S4, but we know people come up with different images of the correct item on the internet,we all know Samsung is going to Release something Special with the S4,so lets wait an see before getting to Excited
31. sportsinger75 (Posts: 71; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Damn... I legit want this render. Lol
32. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
That's my frickin render man! I posted it on The Verge forum first, why not give some credit on me? Lol. But seriously, that's one of my artworks. Here's another two sets of my render:http://img18.imageshack.us/img
33. schinnak (Posts: 83; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
How many of you think S2 had a better design compared to S3?
34. pyradark (Posts: 781; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
its beautiful on render, same as last year, but on final concept "Hello Plastic"
hoping this is final, or else
bye bye sammy
35. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
this is beautiful but i don't like those speakers under the screen.
i think this design will be for note 3 because it says 3100 mAh battery.
37. wando77 (Posts: 311; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Amazing! Hope Samsung is looking at this especially the front facing speakers as that has been a wish if mine for a while
40. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
take note....samsung will never produce any of this...they are accustomed to cheap and feeble plastic world in which they're drowning daily
44. shuaibhere (Posts: 1659; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Forget the milky way galaxy...
Get the samsung galaxy...
In other way....
If you get the samsung galaxy...you will forget the milky way galaxy....
46. AshishRomea (Posts: 145; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
people who feel XPERIA Z design is not BETTER THAN THIS , means they have no knowledge about what the phone is made of , whats the meaning of OMNI BALANCE and how difficult it is to make WATER PROOF , DUST PROOF , SHOCK PROOF & SHATTER PROOF phone @ 7.9 MM THICKNESS !
54. pyradark (Posts: 781; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
yah not shatter, but lets see on the drop test
dont forget the tempered glass
72. AshishRomea (Posts: 145; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
then y will sony claim to have put "SHATTER PROOF SHEET" on the phone ? coz its water proof ?