Samsung scores a 3G patent litigation win against Apple, will seek compensation
1. pongkie (Posts: 516; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
it may be not much of a compensation if under FRAND. like chump change for apple
4. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
iDisAgree, given all of the iDevice users on 3G iDevices over the past 4 years these 'adequate damages' will be iNcAlculAble. Perhaps in the triLLiOns.
14. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Chump change for both Samsung and Apple. Remember Samsung Electronics is just one subsidiary of Samsung, comprising of more than 80 companies.
Look at the financial reports. Samsung is 3 times that of Apple; revenue, assets, equity, profit.
2. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Still...Eat it, Apple. how does your own medicine taste???
98. plgladio (Posts: 314; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Yeah, eating others patents will be like cake only. yum yum!!
8. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
It's under FRAND -- Apple has been complaining Samsung and Moto wants a king's ransom, which is against the FRAND standard.
Also, Apple does not sue under FRAND patents.
16. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
And apparently the court disagrees. Samsung was not asking too much, Apple just didn't want to pay. Typical Cupertino move.
Apple does not sue over FRAND, they sue over basic geometric shapes and "zero length swipes."
21. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
How said that you may actually believe that
24. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
better than believing anything that comes out of your troll mouth
25. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
which is worse.. suing for a patent, or suing for a napkin with a rectangle on it?
41. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Again said if you really believe that. The courts agreed with Apple.
55. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
And OJ Simpson is an innocent man.
You are such an _________.
53. rf1975 (Posts: 253; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
That mean you are saying Samsung can not design a rectangle napkin without copying others napkin design?
3. RoundBallmer (banned) (Posts: 43; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
LOL? Apple making use of Samsung's innovation?
Samsung copies Apple rather, FRAND patent is just minor where Samsung can throw in anything while the standard is bring created without any innovation.
Samsung can at most get just 5 million dollars off this patent. still way lesser than what they pay for their lawyers. Serve Samsung right for not admitting to copycat.
10. 14545 (Posts: 1282; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Jealous much? We are always told how "apple doesn't steal, they just innovate". Yet, somehow they have managed to infringe on both Moto and Sammy FRAND patents. Keeping in mind that it IS APPLE that started all of these lawsuits to begin with, not to mention they have tried the hardest to get their competition banned from sale. So please give us all a break.
17. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
the ones that have told you that Apple doesnt steal is the fandroids being sarcastic.. wow..cant tell when sarcasm is used.. huh?
15. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
At least Samsung's patents are something that involves real science and technology; which of its concepts can be measured, quantified, materialised, and grasped, thus cannot be disputed in courts.
Half of Apples patents are just pies in the sky and questionable patents. And no, you can't patent rounded corners and wedge shapes.
91. RoundBallmer (banned) (Posts: 43; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Now if Samsung didn't copy, why would apple even score something in court?
Obviously Samsung is the copycat
9. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
Lol. I'm starting to feel that Apple will take a nice beating on Samsung who owned 10% of LTE Patents when they release their "LTE capable" iPhone 5.. You better watch out iFans..
66. aikonix (Posts: 59; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
samsung owns 12% of lte patents, and yes, i cant wait for the battles to go on with this. lol apple, get ready ifans, the bigger you are the easier you will fall
11. GellerDoesDallas (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
This is great news, can't wait for Samsung to sue them for their 4g IP that will be the next lawsuit looks like Apple is going to learn the hard way. LMFAO!!!
12. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
This is like buying off the dollar menu to apple.....
13. ilia1986 (unregistered)
18. andro. (Posts: 1990; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Insert Homer Simpson style uncontrollable laughter here
19. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
poor fandroids holding on to a little victory while Apple wins the big ones. ohh yes fandroids hold on this.. and don't let go... lol
20. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Please enumerate these big wins of Apple's. I must have been in the real world when they happened.
23. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Ted your opinion is really invalid. You won't even admit Samsung copies Apple which anyone with two eyes can see. Did you see any S voice videos? Why does the interface look just like Siri.
26. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
technically, you ignorant troll, Siri looks just like Vlingo, an android app thats been around since android 1.6, which is what S-Voice actually is.
31. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
and now that Apple made it popular.. Samsung of all manufacturers and known to follow Apple foosteps is now on the SGSIII. Vlingo was a forgotten App and so was Majel.. brought to life by Apple.
97. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Technically vlingo has been out since blackberry were born. Not to upstage remixfa just backing him up. When vlingo first came out no one wanted it because it was 20 bucks for the app. IF anyone actually googles anything and does there research they will see apple either copies or steal from everyone. Siri was original developed by some small nobody 3rd party and was on the iphone 3gs and people who had the original iphone 4 were able to download it but nobody new of it. Apple loved the app so banned it from the store then stole it and changed the name after denying the developer any rights to it. Then they comercialized the hell out of it. thats why everyone thinks they made it
99. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
well, your mostly right and thanks for the backup :). they bought the company and then removed it from the app store so they could rebrand it as an "exclusive" app to the new OS. There wasnt any denying of rights to it. the company is now officially part of apple. But yes, apple definitely likes to pretend that they actually made it when it was nothing more than an acquisition of an already existing product.
Vlingo is awesome. And thanks to huge pressure from Google Voice Actions, they were forced to make the App free since no one would pay 20 bux for the darn thing (or 10 on Android). I had totally forgot that it was on RIM, but your quite right.
35. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
My opinion is invalid? You still haven't admitted you were wrong about user agent spoofing. You claim reviews say things they don't.
Trust me, everyone else on this site has more credibility than you. And anyone with unbiased eyes does NOT see that Samsung copied Apple.
42. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
And yes it's plainly obvious Samsung copies Apple down to their charging ports and packaging.
43. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Going to act like you don't remember that argument? I don't blame you, since you showed everyone you know absolutely nothing about anything, but it never stops you from just making stuff up.
And, it's only obvious to those with their heads implanted firmly up their RDFs.
30. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
well if you have been in the real world then I don't need to show you anything just use Google it. trust me is there.. glad you are back from fantasy land
36. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Then you should have no problem naming a few of them for me. Right?
39. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
i dont have a problem but is irrelevant to the topic in hand.. but here is the most recent
Apple Wins Ruling, Sanctions in Samsung Infringement Suit
there Apple bigger win..
40. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
OK, Apple iCloud banned in Germany. There's a nice one for the Android side. That's 1 to 1.
51. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
see thats why I dint want to play that game is not about that.. is about this being a little victory for Samsung..
but I can play to
thats makes it Apple 2-1
54. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You do realize that was a simple tweak, and didn't really affect Samsung at all? How is that a major win?
Following up on the Netherlands...
We can keep going back and forth forever. The fact is Apple is batting under 500 on it's lawsuits.
62. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
thats why I didnt want to start this. told you.. bottom line this is a small win. but you want to dispute everything not in Androids favor..
63. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I agree this is a small win. I don't agree Apple us getting any bug wins, and recently are losing much more than winning.
72. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
we will put this talk on hold and we will see how it turns out
87. spoks (Posts: 44; Member since: 01 Jun 2012)
"Apple Wins Ruling, Sanctions in Samsung Infringement Suit"
- this is it? really?!? what happened then? this is a vague statement.. please specify?
33. matrix_neo (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Nope, it's just a start of victory not only for Samsung but also for Android as a whole. Don't expect that Apple will have the big wins. They started this war, Android will end it, with laurels in their head. Just because they are "apple" can't be put to justice?! It's ridiculous. Consumers should be given priority, not those bunch of iDiots trying to grow a rotten fruit.
22. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Same song and dance. Apple gets sued and fandroids celebrate. Apple sues and they troll and hate.
29. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Because Apple constantly sues about ignorant bulls**t and then Android phone manufacturers sue for something that Apple actually copied (when Apple copies WAY more than any Android manufacturer) or to give Apple a taste of their own medicine. Or both.
32. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
coming from someone that has a android as its avatar. i will need proof of what you just said...
38. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Google their lawsuit for violating their "swipe to unlock" patent (which was copied to begin with), in which they claimed that tapping an unlock icon was a violation because "a tap is just a zero length swipe."
Please defend that as a valid use of the patent and legal system.
44. gallitoking (Posts: 4717; Member since: 17 May 2011)
sorry but I ask for facts not personal opinion.. show me a link... typical fandroids need to tagteam to beat one Apple fan
47. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
He's not interested in facts. He won't even admit Samsung copied anything from Apple even though it's obvious to anyone with two eyes and they've lost multiple lawsuits.
49. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
How's that email about user agent spoofing coming along?
You wouldn't know a fact if it were able to penetrate the RDF and smack you in your empty head.
48. tedkord (Posts: 7954; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It's not opinion, it's fact. You just don't want to accept it. So, here's a link to a story about it. The judge in the case, Posner, even commented on how silly it was for Apple to sue claiming a tap is a "zero length swipe".
Now, please defend the zero length swipe as valid.
BTW, I find it ironic that you feel it's ok for you to make a claim that Apple is getting the bigf wins, then tell me to google it, but you demand links for my claims.