Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) is now receiving the KitKat treatment
As you most probably know, the latest version of the Android platform comes with lots of performance and a few visual improvements. The changes to the user interface enable users of the Galaxy S4 to select a default launcher and switch between the native SMS app and Hangouts. The default Samsung keyboard has been renovated, too – it has received an enhanced gesture input in landscape mode. The camera can be easily accessed via a dedicated shortcut on the device's lock screen. One of the biggest visual improvements is the changed color of the status bar icons, which are now white. The immersive full screen mode is on board, as well.
Samsung Galaxy S4 devices in some regions have already received the Android 4.4.2 update over-the-air, but you might not get it right away, as it has just started rolling out. If you sport a carrier version of Sammy's flagship, you will need to be even more patient.
Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat
1. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 383; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
Update policies on Android are a shame. KitKat came to market in October 2013. Only now, 2 or 3 weeks before the S5 is released, the upadted arrives for its successor.
9. Jayshmay (Posts: 65; Member since: 27 Mar 2011)
The s5 is being ANNOUNCED, not released, released means you can actually go buy it. All that's happening Monday is an announcement.
2. skymitch89 (Posts: 1063; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Not only the GS4, but the Note 3 is getting it as well. I'm in the process of downloading it for my Sprint Note 3 now.
12. skymitch89 (Posts: 1063; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Got it installed and have only noticed that the lock screen is a bit more responsive (less lag when turning on & off and unlocking) and the icon colors in the notification bar, as well as some apps opening a little faster.
3. jskates420 (Posts: 40; Member since: 29 Jun 2013)
I wonder if the Gs4 mini for sprint will get it soon..
5. skymitch89 (Posts: 1063; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
And people, if you don't like waiting 3-4 months to get the next version of Android sent to your device by the manufacturers, then you should either get a Nexus device or install custom ROMS. It takes that long for an update because they need to make sure that the update is "quality" & "bug free". Also, they need to put their custom UI skins in with the update as well.
18. davenycept (Posts: 173; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Thank you.. I mean yes Samsung use to be worse on their updates..my stock S2 I have laying around is running 4.1.2 do they've done a great job improving the updates..it's not perfect but it's much better... get a nexus if you want to always be on the latest
6. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
I would love for updates to be super fast but I knew going the non nexus route I'm on a different time table. If I or anyone wants updates ASAP then that's what's the nexus line is there for.
10. decent4u (Posts: 73; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
So no news on the Note 3 Exynos variant? :(
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Update was released awhile ago if I remember correctly...
13. decent4u (Posts: 73; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I have the international exynos variant and i have not received the update.
still running 4.3
BTY I live in Pakistan
20. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 213; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Same here. Yet to receive. Live in Saudi Arabia
15. Carlitos (Posts: 327; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I am pretty certain the update started to roll out back in January. Second to third week of the month I believe.
19. decent4u (Posts: 73; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I have checked this on Sammobile and the update is only sent to some regions most regions are still pending :(
14. mrvid (Posts: 75; Member since: 02 Oct 2008)
Verizon won't update the S4! Stuck in the damn dark ages wating for them to update phones!
16. eddie809352 (Posts: 4; Member since: 20 Feb 2014)
Me and my Moto X are laughing at all you Samsung Fan boys
Stop wasting your money on high ends that take forever to update their phones and buy a phone that knows how please their customers with fast updates
17. joey_sfb (Posts: 2931; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I know Moto X is a cool device but I still need removable battery and micro SD memory. I am out station most of the time those item meet my requirement.
So far, only Samsung is willing to meet those requirement..