Samsung Ativ S is official, becomes the first Windows Phone 8 handset
1. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Holy s**t. I may actually consider a Windows Phone...
Thank you Samsung! Figures my last Winmo phone ever would be the Omnia and then maybe Samsung is the one to get me back in the game...
22. haseebzahid (Posts: 1839; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well happy time starts today nokia reveals next week thats will bring more options HTC coming soon its gettting better now for wp8
26. -box- (Posts: 3912; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
So we were right, it's a GS3 running WP8. Sweet. Obviously a T-Mobile unit with the HSPA+ radio
34. remixfa (Posts: 14223; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yup, hspa+ 42 means its a krait. the big question is if its the standard krait or the pro. however, that's the upgraded HD screen, meaning RGB, not pentile, unless i completely missed something.
48. Mittal (Posts: 451; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
i think krait pro is quad core, n this one is dual core
63. amish1512 (Posts: 28; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
yes its dual core cuz let me remind you that windows os (mobile os) doesn't support quad core but may be in future we will see soon.
56. AstronautJones (Posts: 274; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
No, same screen as the SGSIII-4.8 " SuperAmoled, NOT a plus. Means pentile
59. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1097; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I think you missed somelthing: they said it´s the HD Super AMOLED display. If it was the RGB one Samsung calls it hte HD Super Amoled PLUS display.
So it´s exactly the S3 with windows in it.
36. MeoCao (unregistered)
Looks like SS does not have very high expectation for WP8. Very low key presentation, just a few words and was drown in a sea of information. The real star of the night was Note 2.
2. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Great Phone, This is your Galaxy 3 replacement
65. MeoCao (unregistered)
Will people pay 100 bucks more than GS3 for it?
3. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
It's strange how only PA and WTB are stating this device as announced, rest all are showing a leaked/rumored status.
5. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Correction, most of them are showing its official
20. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 367; Member since: 07 May 2012)
it has been anounced check engadget.com
4. redmd (Posts: 927; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I'll have to wait to what Nokia had to offer on the 5th of sept. nicely done Samsung.
8. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Nokia may just bring up WP8 up from the Ativ
6. itiswhatitis (Posts: 423; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Great design,looks luxurious cuz of clever choice of materials! Good job Samsung!
7. thebest (Posts: 231; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
this is a good phone, but if nokia's first wp8 phone comes with pureview, then it would definitely be the winner.......
35. bbblader (Posts: 584; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
it can be the last introduced wp8 phone too just has to be on 5th sep
67. Mittal (Posts: 451; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
if nokia's first wp8 phone comes with pureview, it will be really thick and a put off for folks not much interested in a mobile camera.
68. thebest (Posts: 231; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
it would be thick, but not as thick as the symbian version because they would give it a smaller camera and more effort
9. Bfrenz (Posts: 106; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Build qualitty is a concern for me.. Waiting for Finnish unveil..
23. thebest (Posts: 231; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
this phone has got a better build quality than the galaxy s3 and the note2.......this phone comes with a metallic body unlike those two, but yes, we can't say anything until the nokia's version is released
27. haseebzahid (Posts: 1839; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lolz for me samsung is a defector always i no longer trust in their devices as i had issues with their 4 of different devices 2 moblies 1 camera 1 TV i go for nokia
57. AstronautJones (Posts: 274; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Haha, 2 phones, 1 tv for me and NO issues. My Nokia N97......big FAIL!
66. haseebzahid (Posts: 1839; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
why me no get bug free samsung device then thats not fair :(
10. Aeires (unregistered)
Love that metal back with the huge speaker. Samsung, make a Nexus phone like this one, please.
38. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
I'll be selling my GNexus in a heartbeat! Samsung only uses metal on flagship WP and Bada, what a shame.
12. FranksGT (Posts: 167; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
Very nice phone, like the premium finishes, this aint exactly like all the other samsung devices surprisingly. I might actually consider switching OS//
13. Bfrenz (Posts: 106; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Hey.. Its metal back.. Considering now.Any word on U.S. Availability
14. frydaexiii (Posts: 1241; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Woah woah woah, is that actually aluminium? or is Samsung playing that plastic with brushed metal like coating again?
If it really is metal I won't mind switching to WP8, look really premium.
15. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
It's actually a real aluminum.. It's really surprising! lol
19. frydaexiii (Posts: 1241; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Dayum, they should have used this body for the S3, would have probably doubled the number of sales lol.
If all WP8 devices looked like that, I can see WP snatching up quite a huge chuck of that marketshare.
16. hdikenli (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
I hope Nokia delivers something with 4, 4.3" display size, with ClearBlack, and a nice design (I still like N9's design), great call quality, and sound. And a decent camera. And battery life please it can be thinner, I dont care about the extra thickness, just give me at least two days of battery life with moderate use.
17. ahhxd717 (Posts: 323; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
Wow, this is one of the few Samsung phones I really like the past year- in terms of design. I bought an unlocked Galaxy Nexus to tide me over on Android til next year sometime (since it'll get the next version) so I could use my January upgrade for WP8. Can't wait to see what else comes from other manufacturers.
18. Osman (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 May 2012)
IMO, its a better design than SGS 3!!! Good work samsung
21. Dameon (Posts: 31; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
phone looks nice. i wanna see what nokia has in store next
29. twenti7 (Posts: 152; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
This is how the Galaxy S3 should have looked. The design is a perfect evolution from the Galaxy S2, with a more premium look.
33. remixfa (Posts: 14223; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
of the international SGS3, not the american version. the sgs3 looks like an evolution of the american sgs2 skyrocket.
does look nice though.
42. twenti7 (Posts: 152; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
Ya I can see the GS3 as an evolution of the Skyrocket or T-Mo's version of the GS2; but those are only half of the GS2 models stateside. The SGS2E4GT is just a slightly larger version of the i777, which is the international model sans the home button.
But I suppose if you look at them based on chronological release (SGS2>Skyrocket>SGS3) there is a bit of a visual evolution going on, so I guess you're right. I should know better than to try to argue with you, remixfa ;D
Also, even though I do think the GS3 is a bit plain visually, It is, without a doubt, the most comforable large-screen phone currently available.
30. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 535; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
I think it's actually more attractive than anything in Sammy's Android lineup. Apple will probably make sure that there are many more Samsung WinPhones in the future.
32. e.wvu (unregistered)
Yep. They actually confirmed that it's metal. Makes me more interested in this phone if it comes to the U.S.
37. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
every windows phone is same,
different only by screen size, build material and design
51. Pdubb (Posts: 239; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
This phone is exactly like other WP device how? By that logic every Android phone is the same- every car is the same.
39. Gcombs (Posts: 133; Member since: 22 Aug 2011)
I hope Verizon gets this phone. Good job Samsung on all the product announcements today!
40. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 166; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
ATIV, A Timeless Intercourse Vessel???
41. KLikePhones (Posts: 5; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)
This is exciting. This is hopefully the start of some real variety in the smartphone market. WP8 probably won't catch on the way IOS and Android have but it'll maybe be a nice darkhorse alternative for those who just don't want the aforementioned operating systems. With some nice stylish hardware and high end insides, this is something to look forward to.
43. clarkja72 (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Dec 2010)
I have been a Windows Phone User since day one, and prior to that Windows Mobile. My first device was the arguably the best 1st gen WP, the Samsung Focus, my second was the HTC Titan, and my current device is the Nokia Lumia 900. I have been pleased with all of my past devices. There are certain things I liked about each, that I wish I could wrap up into one perfect phone. This Samsung seems to have stepped up on build quality, but I find it hard to believe that they omitted LTE. Everything else seems top notch, especially the display. Over all a pleasing design, but the HOME button looks kinda odd. Holding final judgement until I get one in my hands. Samsung appears to have raised the bar for HTC and Nokia. Can't wait for September 5th to see what the Finns have to offer!
45. Ueliton (Posts: 34; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
I disagree with the friend who said that samsung has low expectations with the WP8 device.... I believe that they didn´t talk too much about it due to Microsoft restrictions, because both W8 and WP8 weren´t officially launched. If Samsung is not really looking forward to WP8, they wouldn´t have crafted such a premium devide. I really think it is way more beautiful than the SIII. My opinion though, you may disagree...
46. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
The specs rock, no doubt about it, but the design... its soulless imho, cant wait for nokia to rock the world :)
47. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5653; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
from this day forward is when i start taking WP seriously. i would kind of like to see how development does so i might stick with one more generation of Android but after that my future with Android will be questioned but not because of Android, i love Android but if i can ween off of the third party support for Android then i would really benefit from having a WP device being that i'm more integrated with Microsoft services than Google. i have an Xbox 360 that is actually using Beta Software right now actually, i primarily use Hotmail and i use Skype frequently and Zune from time to time. Drive can be traded for SkyDrive, there's no Flash in Chrome so the new IE will probably be better with the new WP8 supported hardware and lack of actual multitasking which brings me to what i would miss from Android but i might be able to give up and that is the Multitasking, the Modding, the Third Party Support and the Google Search Engine along with Now/Voice and i'd miss not having Chrome sync but i'm sure Google will eventually bring Chrome to Windows 8 RT so that's not a big concern. the third party support is what'll make or break my decision to switch.
50. Ueliton (Posts: 34; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
I´ve always seen potential in WP since its debut, but now it has really unleashed its true power! UPGRADE ON THE WAY! But I´m still waiting for what HTC, Nokia, Huawey and other OEMs have to offer!
In either way, it´s gonne be a difficult choice! If the first device announced looks like this, imagine the latter ones! (is "latter" used correctly? or would it be the "latest"? sorry for my poor english!)
61. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5653; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
me too but it just wasn't there enough for me with 7, now i can consider a WP legitimately. Samsung doesn't really offer anything real compelling in the WP space because there's a spec requirement and they can't modify the software too much. Nokia has PureView, unique designs and their close partnership with Microsoft and HTC has nice design languages too along with better build quality and Beats Audio. if i had a choice it would probably be between an HTC and a Nokia device.
49. hssncy1957 (Posts: 8; Member since: 02 Apr 2012)
I hope Verizon carries this phone, I think a lot of people are over looking the fact that with release of win8, the wp8 will be familiar os to every w8 pc users. I had Focus but gave it to my wife(she loves it,too boring for me) and got myself S Note(best phone in my opinion, I have had IPhone before also). I have been waiting for something like this which I can transfer, copy and do my work either pc or phone, then transfer files back and forth, and print with out using 3rd party app or learning whole new OS.