Retrospective: LG's best phones from the last 10 years, culminating with the new G3
The new G3 is LG's flagship for this year, and seems to be one of those devices that history won’t forget too soon. So we thought that its announcement day would be perfect for taking a look at LG’s best handsets introduced in the last decade - from 2004 to 2014 - and see how the South Korean company evolved to become what it is now. It’s nothing short of amazing how far technology has changed in only 10 years (which isn’t that much if we think about it in the grand scheme of things). Of course, this is true not just for LG, but for most manufacturers out there.
The handsets seen below may be different from your favorite LG phones, and, if that’s the case, feel free to leave a comment and mention what LG phones from over the years you liked best.
LG's best phones from 2004 to 2014 Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
LG G3 - 40 Tips & Tricks for LG's most powerful smartphone ever
25 Jul 2014, 01:36
5 Android L themes, launchers and icon packs to install while you wait
25 Jul 2014, 03:23
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
LG G3 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: vote for the better phone
25 Jul 2014, 06:01
The best Android browsers, 2014 edition: design, features, and performance
23 Jul 2014, 09:49
Here’s how to record screen video on Apple’s iPhone and iPad
25 Jul 2014, 09:11
LG's best phones from 2004 to 2014
1. LG VX-8000 (2004)
2. LG VX-8100 (2005)
3. The LG Chocolate sliders (2006)
4. LG Prada KE850 (2007)
5. LG Renoir KC910 (2008)
6. LG Arena KM900 (2009)
7. LG Optimus One (2010)
8. LG Optimus 2X (2011)
9. LG Optimus G (2012)
10. LG G2 (2013)
11. LG G3 (2014)
2. joey_sfb (Posts: 2524; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
LG Optimus is also the first to use dual cores cpu for Android phone.
27. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 718; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
But quite a crappy implemention to be honest, i had one and i couldn't even keep LG's buggy crappy software on it, had to change to CM to get a STABLE experience, not to mention the longer than one year wait to get ICS...
31. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5538; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
T-Mobile's G2x was an Optimus 2X with Stock Android.
THAT was a really likable phone in the day.
4. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2611; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
The optimus G was awesome. I was thrilled at that time, seeing an android so fast.
8. sinple (Posts: 98; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
lg g2 was the world first 13mp OIS. exluding 20mp, 40mp, 8mp
10. R-vjn (Posts: 161; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
I still have the Optimus One (P500), and is still going strong with Gingerbread on board. The battery life is still great and btw I've never had one single complaint about that device.
37. Mittal (Posts: 427; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
yes the build was totally stable...commendable job
13. Lauticol (Posts: 179; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
I think LG MU500 should be here. It was a flip phone with a rotating Camera (similar to the one in Oppo N1), it had 3G and was very good overall.
14. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 885; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
yeah the good ol'days, flip phones and antennas still been used till to today,wow..
19. refillable (Posts: 583; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
You clearly don't have any Idea why these pictures were posted here.
17. nomancool (Posts: 20; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
i still have the lg optimus one !
Running cm11 without any problems ...
used froyo , gingerbread , ICS , JB and now kitkat on this device ....
18. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Where the heck is the LG Voyager or even the LG EnV Touch? LG Voyager was amazing at the time, one of the best qwerty keyboards there was.
20. snowgator (Posts: 3187; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Not a bad list. The Optimus series had a nice run. And LG could put out some nice basic and feature phones.
On the flip side, the list of worst LG phones would be impressive for oh so many different reasons, but impressive none the less.
21. aco96 (Posts: 184; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
My dad had LG Renoir. It had awesome camera and nice UI, but resistive screen was awful.
22. Klamba92 (Posts: 195; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
I had the Renoir as well, the last dumb phone it had a great camera for its time but yh touch screen was very annoying to use! But then moved to android with the Samsung Galaxy S being the first android I got!
23. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 769; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
What about the popular LG Chatterbox??? One of the best selling low end QWERTY phones around, in 2009.
The LG Arena was a beast, even though it wasn't a smartphone I remember it packing so e great hardware and an incredible camera.
24. RohanM (Posts: 119; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
Wow, Well done LG.
Proud to see My Beast G2 in the list (offcourse ;)
This is my third LG in a Row.. LG-P690 => Nexus 4 => LG G2.... :)
25. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1107; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Great article. Hope you write the same for Samsung, Sony (Ericsson), Nokia, etc.
26. AfterShock (Posts: 2092; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Forgot the LG Expo/IQ.
First 1ghz WM powered phone.
Had a Pico projector option.
29. Crispin_Gatieza (Posts: 71; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Correction. The LG Fathom was the first 1 gig WinMo phone. Awesome little phone. The Expo (LG Monaco) was an improved Fathom with a better camera and the pico projector but the Fathom had WM 6.5.3 (another first)
33. AfterShock (Posts: 2092; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I stand corrected.
Where was that phone sold?
I missed it in XDA and obviously everywhere else.
Thanks for the clarity though.
28. E.S.1 (Posts: 289; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
We all can argue but LG does make really good phones.
I love my G2 and would never switch back to Samsung or iPhone. It would definitely be a downgrade.
30. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1044; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
The second phone, from 2005, had stereo speakers... Most phones today dont have that. :-(
32. gigaraga (Posts: 472; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Excellent evolution of their phones. Ever since the Km900 (which was the first phone i wanted), their phones have been getting better and the LG G3 is clearly H1's best phone (next to the GS5 ofc)
38. ilgenio (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
LG prouved for every one that it could be the leader in smart phones, curently i have the G2 and it's performing verry well