Red Sox star David Ortiz signed deal with Samsung just one day before he shot selfie with Obama
When the White House photographer was about to snap a group picture, Ortiz interrupted and asked if he could take one of his own. The selfie of Ortiz and Obama had over 40,000 retweets at last count, far fewer than the millions that retweeted Ellen's now famous Oscar selfie. That picture set the record for the most popular tweet ever, ironically replacing one of the president and the First Lady embracing after he won his second four year term in office. Samsung quickly retweeted the Ortiz-Obama selfie to its 5 million members.
A White House official said that the president had no advance knowledge of Ortiz' decision to take a selfie with him. Samsung later confirmed its relationship with "Big Papi." Ironically, the president sided with Apple and against Samsung last year in a case involving the ITC. Apple faced injunctions against some of its devices including the Apple iPad 2, Apple iPhone 4 and other models. Under the law, the president can veto the sales ban, which he did.
More popular slideshows
Samsung signs deal with David Ortiz one day before he shoots selfie with the president
1. David Ortiz and President Obama smile for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...
2. ...and the result is this selfie
source: @davidortiz via NewYorkPost
2. ScottSchneider (Posts: 312; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
Wow... Now thats a Home Run for Samsung...
3. Sauce (unregistered)
Now Ortiz needs to do some convincing to MLB.
Apple's devices and iBeacon in them ballparks are really neat.
4. SPASE (Posts: 75; Member since: 03 May 2013)
I tried zooming in on the pic, sorta looks like S5
5. superduper (Posts: 121; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
If Samsung had to teach Ellen how to take a selfie on their phone, it doesn't say much for its usability.
6. SPASE (Posts: 75; Member since: 03 May 2013)
I have to even teach some customers how to use feature phones
7. androiphone20 (Posts: 1394; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
That was kind of the idea when the first generation iphone came out, make it easier for the consumer because most feature phones were not smart and hard to use
9. SPASE (Posts: 75; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Beg to differ, no matter which phone or sys, I've had customers new to tech always asked for help,, even iphone.
10. HTCOE (Posts: 407; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
Samsung wins in the marketing category and all fall blind to it
11. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 501; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Oh yeah, and Apple is any better with its sheeep? Spare us troll boy
12. darkkjedii (Posts: 10128; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
As a Yankees fan, I hate the Sox, but I love Big Papi. Cool pic, Obama's the man.