Motorola Mobility drops ITC patent claim against Apple
The case being withdrawn involved seven patents that Motorola Mobility claimed were infringed upon by Apple including patents on interactive voice commands, location reminders, e-mail notification and phone/video players. Back in August, the wholly owned Google subsidiary said it hoped filing the suit would force Apple to sit down and discuss licensing the patents involved. On August 24th, in another case, Apple was cleared by a judge of violating three Motorola Mobility patents although a fourth patent is still being considered a possible infringement by the ITC. This patent revolves around a sensor used to protect against accidental hangups,
FOSS Patents, this particular judge is hard on complainants which could be a logical reason for Motorola Mobility's action. Another speculation revolves around Motorola Mobility's inability to get all of the paperwork to prove its case and once it is found, Motorola will re-file the complaint. Or perhaps Motorola Mobility just wants to take the high road and offer this olive branch to Apple. Anyone believe that this is behind the move by Motorola Mobility?
Whatever its true intentions here, there are still plenty of courtroom battles to come between the two. A non-jury trial filed by Apple against Motorola Mobility is set to being November 5th in Madison, Wisconsin. Apple claims that Motorola failed to license some of its patents fairly based on FRAND rules.
source: Bloomberg, FOSSPatents
1. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Good. Less patent BS, more innovation.
Let's hope Apple does the same...
4. MATOZ (Posts: 71; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
Never gonna happen my friend...
Indeed, Their minds are blinded
Pray for a miracle, if you believe in... whatever!
5. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1104; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Take a cue Apple and if you still cant get it, well then Sammy, Moto and the team is always there to put you in your place!
21. Hemlocke (unregistered)
Like they have done so far?
29. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1104; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Exactly :) Sammy did replace Apple with the highest sales in smartphones and Apple responded by launcing an unfinished iPhone and iOS!
22. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Moto has really some bad luck when it comes to court hearings.
27. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
what is good? that Apple can do it and no one else can???
r*tten, greedy Apple very probably pays to all the judges....
2. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Well they probably wouldn't have gotten far on patents that are fair and reasonable.
6. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Maybe you're right, I don't know.
All I know is that I want these stupid patent wars to stop.
8. joey_sfb (Posts: 3245; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
lawsuits bring zero value to the consumer, hope to see less of it.
9. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Well they probably wouldn't have gotten far on patents that are fair and reasonable."
I also don't think that Apple's "rounded corners" patent was "reasonable".
10. Sniggly (Posts: 7182; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Except the chapter of using FRAND patents is pretty much behind them.
You can keep living in the world as of several months ago though.
3. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
good move by Moto.. they need to stop the Bs lawsuits and concentrate and putting a product that consumers can enjoy and not milk the RAZR brand..
11. Sniggly (Posts: 7182; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I don't mind them milking the RAZR branding as long as the phones are still awesome, which they have been thus far.
14. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Until they pull another stunt like they did with the Atrix phones and not update them.
Awesome probably isn't a word I would use.
25. networkdood (Posts: 6326; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
they are updated...even the atrix 4G received an update as well as the Droid RAZR..either way, who cares...go to XDA and grab the update there.
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
DUMB MOVE BY Apple for NOT DROPPING the LAW SUIT against Samsung
23. bucky (Posts: 1574; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
didnt they pull out over a billion from that?
24. networkdood (Posts: 6326; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
lol, G-King talking about B.S. lawsuits in reference to Moto...perhaps, he should look at his true love - APPLE
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
that makes me an expert and I call it as i see it
7. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
Great story... Butchered edit.
Please proof read before posting.
12. techguy22 (Posts: 227; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
they werent gonna win anyway.
Apple got the US government locked up.
shame to be an american :(
17. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
i was thinking the same to! Was just about to write that. I agree+1 from me.
13. theBankRobber (Posts: 649; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Its all about the Google and Apple talks for the past few months. I think there are both coming to an agreement and will leave the courts out of it.
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
If Motorola can drop a lawsuit can so the BIG GREEDY FRUIT
28. xfire99 (Posts: 570; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Just beginning of the neverending paten war. Apple started roll the ball and now will get attacked from all sides. Moto/Google, HTC, Samsung, Kodak and later more will join to attack Apple. Alot of Davids vs Goliath.
But its gonna be very hard to win a battle vs Apple in US soil, since they are protected by that corrupted land and they will protect US trademark. There are sure alot of money involved with Apple stocks and those behind it wont see Apple fall. There are no way, Apple stocks can get so high without rich/powerful peoples behind it and Im sure the US goverment are involved too.
Apple get all the benefits, patents first given is already a proof and everything to keep Apple stocks high up.