Manually update your DROID to Android 2.1 ESE81
Motorola DROID owners, your wait is over! After a slight delay, Verizon started to officially deploy the Android 2.1 (ESE81) update yesterday, first to 1000 users at noon and then to 9000 more at midnight. If you were not one of the lucky DROID owners that got the over-the-air update yesterday, and don't feel like waiting around any more, you can now manually update your phone to Android 2.1 (ESE81). We should point out that this is based on our instructions for the manual Android 2.0.1 (ESD56) update that we posted last December, but it still works with the 2.1 update.
*Before you do anything, make sure that your DROID is NOT ROOTED and doesn't have a Custom ROM, and if it is, you must return it to stock Android 2.0.1 (ESD56) status first (follow the steps posted on Droid-Life.com). If you haven't rooted your phone or installed a custom ROM (or not even sure what that is) then you can proceed with the steps below.*
Here's what you'll need to do:
1) Make sure that you don't have any past update.zip file located on your phone's microSD memory card. If there is one, delete it.
2) Download the new update.zip file using your PC and transfer it to the main root directory on the DROID's microSD memory card. Do NOT place it in any sub-directory or rename the file to something else.
3) Power the phone off.
4) Slide open the phone so you can see the keyboard.
5) Press-and-hold the letter X on the keyboard and press the Power button until the device powers on.
6) Continue to hold the Power and X button until the screen shows a triangle and exclamation mark.
7) Release the Power and X button.
8) Press the Volume UP *and* Camera buttons at the same time. Be sure to keep the phone open.
9) On the screen you will see several choices, use the d-pad on the keyboard to move down the list and select the "update.zip" file.
10) The update process will begin and will take a few minutes to load.
11) Once it is done, select the 1st option on the screen to Reboot the phone - NOT Factory Restore.
12) The phone will turn off and then restart, and the "DROID EYE" will show for about 2-5 minutes.
13) After the Home Screen loads, everything will be intact, including programs and settings.
14) Turn phone back off, remove the battery, wait 1 minute, replace battery and turn phone on.
15) Go into Settings, About Phone and scroll down. It should list Firmware version 2.1-update1, Build number ESE81.
We installed this on our DROID demo unit (which was never rooted) and did not encounter any problems. The PDF file on Verizon's site list what changes are in Android 2.1 (ESE81) for the Motorola DROID. We've tried it out, and there is pinch-and-zoom in the Web Browser, in the updated 3D Gallery, and in Google Maps. There is also a new News and Weather app with widget, voice search in more areas, and 11 Live Wallpapers for the desktop. We were also able to go to the Android Market and download the Google Earth app, which also uses pinch-and-zoom. Unfortunately, this update to Android 2.1 for the DROID does not include the 5 home screens (you are still limited to 3), nor the 3D scrolling programs list that is on the Google Nexus One. We can only hope that both of these features will eventually make its way to the DROID in the next update...whenever that is.
Let us know what you think of the DROID software update in the comment section below.
Motorola DROID Review | Specifications
source: AllDroid via HowardForums
1. ecml (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Mar 2010)
It works, does everything but extra home screens, got live wallpaper, pinch to zoom and all the other features.
3. chuck (Posts: 4; Member since: 31 Dec 2009)
Everytime I try to download the file it keeps saying the content is not supported on my phone. What am I doing wrong?
4. PhoneArena Team (Posts: 238; Member since: 27 Jun 2006)
Download the update.zip file to your PC, then transfer it to the memory card on the DROID.
5. ben10 (Posts: 6; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I just saw a video where the guy showed that there was an option in the settings menu to activate up to nine screens. But that was on the EUR version. Couldn´t the option be hidden in the US version as well? Maybe deep in some menu?
21. stix26 (Posts: 21; Member since: 03 Feb 2010)
Go to this site on your phones browser http://www.androidcentral.com/
how-manually-update-your-droid-android-21I did that it only took 6 minutes.
7. doitall76 (Posts: 17; Member since: 22 Nov 2009)
my issue is that Astro isn't allowing me to move the update.zip file to my root directory. Can anyone help me? Doitall76
29. vzw fanman (Posts: 1973; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
i'm rooted. i have a rom called smoked glass v6. here are some pictures:http://www.facebook.com/photos
34. chuck (Posts: 4; Member since: 31 Dec 2009)
I've always had 5 wallpapers. Download openhome from the android market
37. vzw fanman (Posts: 1973; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
i don't like open home. it made my phone laggy.
46. PapaJay224 (Posts: 866; Member since: 08 Feb 2009)
FYI ALL THINKING OF DOING UPDATE **IF YOUR ROOTED THIS WILL PLUG YOU EXPLOITED WORM HOLE ALLOWING ROOTING UNTIL A SPECIFIC ROOT IS CREATED FOR 2.**
9. harpdoc (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Help! After following the instructions, on reboot my phone is stuck bouncing between the Droid eye and the word "Droid." Just keeps going back and forth. I've tried the sequence all over again, several reboots (by removing battery), and keep getting stuck here. Any suggestions?
13. PapaJay224 (Posts: 866; Member since: 08 Feb 2009)
You stuck in whats called a "bootloop" Reset your phone using (up arrow)(Alt) and Delete, Then hold "X" and Volume up BEFORE THE MOTO Sign Shows up! Choose back up/restore option and choose the last point before you changed files. Note: If that doesnt work: Follow steps again and choose wipe data/factory reset... Apps you bough are saved in the store and contacts are backed up through gmail, so really resetting your homescreen and notification settings is the only set back to a factory wipe. Good Luck hope this helps!
15. harpdoc (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
PapaJay, thanks for your help. I did the reset, then held X and Volume Up. Gets me to the triangle with ! inside. What do I do from here? If I hold Vol Up and Camera key, the screen does not give a Back Up/Restore option. How do I get to that?
26. Cali_E (Posts: 196; Member since: 24 Sep 2008)
puss them firmly at the same time and then release and the menu comes up. took me a few times to get it myself but this little blue menu should pop up
30. Trobes05 (Posts: 106; Member since: 01 Aug 2009)
I pushed volume and held it for a sec before hitting the camera button and then released...that seemed to work well
47. PapaJay224 (Posts: 866; Member since: 08 Feb 2009)
Hold Volume up and click down the Cam key. It should take you to the recovery screen. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org email me if you have questions.
17. vzw fanman (Posts: 1973; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
you were rooted before without having 2.1 on it?
19. warhed (Posts: 56; Member since: 07 Mar 2010)
Yeah I was rooted. Had to unroot. Just had it rooted w/just a changed theme... skull theme no other roms or overclocked
28. vzw fanman (Posts: 1973; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
you should have gotten a rom with 2.1 already on it. i have mine overclocked to 800 mhz, sometimes 1 ghz. :-)
14. MR521 (Posts: 47; Member since: 12 Jun 2009)
Does this update allow you to zoon in and out even when viewing an email? how about copying and pasting something from an email? It really bugs me that i cannot zoom in or out when viewing an email and it also bugs me that i cannot copy and paste from an email. I also have it rooted and i dont know if i should do the update since my Droid overclocked at 900mhz.
16. numberonenygfan (Posts: 211; Member since: 19 Oct 2009)
you guys should all just wait for the official update youll have it in a day! cool your jets and wait.. its the best thing for your phone and your peace of mind.
18. kellex (Posts: 4; Member since: 04 Feb 2010)
Just wanted to thank you guys for the link to our manual unrooting instructions. Keep up the great work!
48. PapaJay224 (Posts: 866; Member since: 08 Feb 2009)
Youll regret it rooted ROMS and UI include everything you get here and you can Overclock the rooted phone. 2.1 is un rooted right now and you cant go back to rooted until someone cracks 2.1 which probably wont be long but still, if your rooted your far past 2.1 capabilities already. I lost my root when going to 2.1 and I miss all the even more custom things I could tatoo my Droid with.
20. jskrenes (Posts: 209; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
If you have downloaded the launcher from the 'give your droid some 2.1 lov'n' article, this thing will force your phone into a perpetual force close cycle. You'll have to reboot and restore, meaning you will lose all your settings. Also bear in mind that you'll have to manually restore all your apps.
25. ecml (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Mar 2010)
There's this free app in the android market called Helix Launcher, it's just like android 2.1 and it gives you up to 7 home screens.
27. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
The whole process worked perfect on mine. I take back all the nasty things I said about you PA.
31. Trobes05 (Posts: 106; Member since: 01 Aug 2009)
I can not seem to figure out how to pinch zoom. I have been trying to do it like I used to on my ipod touch but it does not want to work. Am I doing something wrong. Everything else for the update is fine I just think I'm doing it wrong. Edit: Nevermind...I found out I was on a mobile site and it wouldnt let me but all of the other sites I use do. Just seemed to be the ESPN website.
33. dougiedoug24 (Posts: 9; Member since: 09 Apr 2008)
Got the 2.1 installed, it seems a little sluggish moving between home screens and i get a force close very time i try to open the gallery. If i go through the memory card and view pictures that way there is no problem, got the pinch/zoom even. It just won't let me start in the gallery app. Anyone else having the same issue?
35. Cali_E (Posts: 196; Member since: 24 Sep 2008)
no. my gallery works great. its pretty sick too. way better than before
36. infinitiboy92 (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Nov 2009)
worked perfectly on my droid, took like 3 minutes. Has live wallpapers, voice search everywhere, pinch to zoom, some new apps and the 3d gallery. love it, jus wish it had more homescreens
38. jskrenes (Posts: 209; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
I root hacked mine, unrooted it, did this install, and now I can't root hack it again. Not a big deal, found PandaHome and it seems to work for giving me more screens, but I had a few things I could do with a root hacked phone that I miss.
39. 3watts (Posts: 56; Member since: 28 Jul 2009)
speech to text is great! This took all of 5 minutes to do so thanks mucho.
40. LuvMyDroid (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 Apr 2010)
I just followed the directions here and it worked like a charm. I did have one question though. The live wallpaper seems to be working on the lock screen, but when I slide to unlock and reach the home screen I still only see my old wallpaper. Am I missing something or is the lock screen the only place I should see live wallpaper? Thanks for this tutorial. All the OTA update teasing was driving me nuts.
41. LuvMyDroid (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 Apr 2010)
Nevermind my last post about the live wallpapers. It seems to be an issue with Home++. When I switched to the default or Helix it works fine.
42. MichRick1 (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Jan 2010)
Everything seemed to go fine and I got the Firmware version and Build number listed above. My gallery is gone though. I had some pictures and video in there, and now instead of the gallery icon, there is a generic droid and when I touch it, I get a message saying the application is not installed on my phone. Any ideas how to get my gallery back.
43. apops (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Apr 2010)
There is a new one in the App drawer. Just delete that one and put the new on on your home screen.
44. mwilliam (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Apr 2010)
When I hooked my Droid up to my pc, I noticed that the update was already on my phone, so I just followed the instructions from that point. Love the new gallery and the live wallpapers!!
45. awirt04 (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Apr 2010)
hey i got two questions 1) i feel its a little sluggish so i was wondering is there to go back to 2.0.1 and 2) since i manually updated it, will i still get the update again?
50. dalanc (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Apr 2010)
I got the 2.1 update installed on my droid however when I click on the gallery app I get a Force Close message that says The application Gallery (process com.cooliris.media) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?
51. joeydina (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Apr 2010)
Help please, I'm going crazy!! I can't paste the update file into the root folder, it says its blocked or restricted. How do I get aroud it?
52. arkeangel22 (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Apr 2010)
I did the manual update to my droid and now my blue tooth isn't working any ideas on how to fix this. Everything else works great.