Judge fines himself for contempt after his smartphone disrupts court
It seems that Judge Voet had been a BlackBerry man for years and wasn't familiar with these new-fangled touch screen phones and might have set it off by accidentally bumping into it. "I'm guessing I bumped it. It started talking really loud, saying 'I can't understand you. Say something like Mom,'" he said. Still, he had no choice but to fine himself $25 for contempt of court during a break, even if it was an accident.
In the past, the judge has taken away handsets from cops, attorneys, witnesses and friends. His final words on the matter? "Judges are humans," he said. "They're not above the rules. I broke the rule and I have to live by it."
source: AP, Telegraph via Pocketlint
1. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5282; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Props to the judge for living by his rule.
2. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4820; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Hmm.....this is an embarrassing and bad news for the judge!
Anyway, is there anyone gonna say OBJECTION right now? :)
21. JC557 (Posts: 702; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Where's the guy with the Phoenix Wright avatar?
19. dsDoan (Posts: 212; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
It's not bad news for the judge. As he says, he's human, he made a mistake, he's paid for it (literally), and he's moved on. It's not a big deal, and only worthy of the article because of the ironic humor.
3. jaabubby (Posts: 32; Member since: 16 Jan 2010)
He'll use that as fodder when he runs for Superior Court judge! lol Nice move judge!
11. aguilitas (Posts: 8; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Yeah. Wonder why PhoneArena missed this detail...
17. tedkord (Posts: 3919; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Because it had nothing to do with the story?
26. downphoenix (Posts: 2232; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
because it would just serve to be bait for whoever hates said phone type.
7. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5639; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Only 25$ thats chump change. At least he admits wat hes doin is wrong
14. biophone (Posts: 1884; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
It wasn't about the money. It was about the message
9. jacko1977 (Posts: 377; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
anyone else he would of fined them $500 i bet
12. ZeroCide (Posts: 677; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
This is the awsomest judge ever. Just the fact that the fined himself deserves a +1.
15. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
"In the past, the judge has taken away handsets from cops, attorneys, witnesses and friends."
So.... If it is committed by others, he will take the handset away. If he does it, it will be just a $25 fine?? hmmmm.. I can sense special treatment in the air.. (deep breath)
I'll dig deeper into this case and contact my best buddy Chuck fuc*** Norris. In case thing get messy..
18. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Well... could have been worse. Imagine a booty call...
23. axllebeer (Posts: 260; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
Did he also confiscate his own phone for the remainder of the session? ;)
25. Bernoulli (Posts: 1399; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
That's what I call a judge! haha and I'm guessing the BlackBerry Z10? you have to hold the side button to activate voice command, so not necessarily the touch screen part lol
27. downphoenix (Posts: 2232; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
I doubt it was the Z10. He said he was a blackberry man and is not used to touch screen phones. WP or Android is the likely bet.
30. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
self pah-pah-pah-PAWNAGE! *Quake voice*
P.S: jokes aside kudos to the judge for playing by the rules