Fifth of mobile phone users surveyed pay more for their carrier service than groceries
--Nearly Half Pay $100 or More Per Month; 13 Percent Pay $200 or More Per Month--
WHITING, Ind., Sept. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As many new versions of smartphones hit the market this fall, a new survey from CouponCabin.com takes a look at the high costs of being connected. Nearly half (46 percent) of mobile phone owners surveyed pay $100 or more per month for their mobile phone service. More than one-in-ten (13 percent) pay $200 or more per month. This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of CouponCabin from September 4th – 6th, 2012 among 2,310 U.S. adults ages 18 and older.
For some U.S. adults with mobile phones, the costs of their service plans are higher than many other household expenses. More than one-in-five (21 percent) of mobile phone owners said they pay more for their mobile phone service plan in a typical month than they do for groceries. When asked which other typical expenses they spend less on their mobile phone service, U.S. mobile phone owners said the following:
- Basic utilities like water, gas and electric – 33 percent
- Cable TV – 57 percent
- Internet service – 71 percent
"Mobile phones are ingrained in our everyday lives, but their high costs can do damage to a monthly budget," said Jackie Warrick, President and Chief Savings Officer at CouponCabin.com. "Many mobile phone owners are now revisiting their plans and looking at ways to cut back."
Taking the group approach is a popular option. Nearly six-in-ten (58 percent) of mobile phone users currently have a family/friend plan with their service provider. U.S. adults ages 35-44 are the most likely to have a family/friend plan as 64 percent report having one, compared to 59 percent of 18-34 year olds, and 59 percent of 45-54 year olds.
Others may stick to communicating the old-fashioned way. In fact, 63 percent of U.S. adults said they currently have a traditional, landline phone. That number was much lower for younger Americans, as only 39 percent of those ages 18-34 said they currently have a landline phone.
Whether it means joining a group plan or keeping a landline phone, there are a variety of strategies to help save on your monthly mobile phone bill. Warrick offers the following advice:
- Do a usage audit: In just a few clicks or a quick call, you can figure out your average monthly voice and data usage. If you're paying for a much higher plan than you use on average, consider cutting back.
- Cut your insurance: If you opt-in for a mobile phone insurance plan, you may be paying high monthly fees along with hefty deductible. Do the math and eliminate your plan if you aren't coming out ahead in the long run.
- Change your habits: If you have free nights and weekends for your voice service, do what you can to only talk during those periods. If you have a limited texting plan, send more emails. Adjust your usage and stay within your limits.
2. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
i have 2 lines, 1 with o2 £20 a month with unlimited talk and text along with 2Gb net, and 3 with unlimited data and 2000 minutes for £20. bargain.
4. eisenbricher (Posts: 923; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Welcome to India then... telecommunication services are at rock bottom prices here. And when you see that after putting '$$' glasses that will look even smaller amount to pay.
7. PotDragon (banned) (Posts: 214; Member since: 22 Jul 2011)
The 18 year old CHILDREN of 2012 live with their Mommy, so she pays for groceries. She probably bought the phone and pays for that service too. Sigh.
Let's check it. Spend $10 a day on breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, cleaning supplies, and cosmetics. TEN BUCKS A DAY! Good luck with that. Ten a day, 30 days in a month, $300. If you tell me anyone has a single phone plan over $300 a month I will call BS.
Only people who don't pay for groceries would take these "results" as credible. If you are 25 and your cell is the only bill you pay with your $9 an hr job, then your answer is meaningless.
12. SugarShockFrantic (Posts: 64; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
i work for a phone company and trust me i see bills over $300 month...the higherst i've ever seen was over $1200 but that was due to overages so maybe that doesnt count?
17. items17070 (Posts: 70; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
well its probably better then your $7/hour job!
8. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
People should switch to Virgin Mobile. $35/mth unlimited everything. Why pay $100-$120/mth with ATT with all sort of restrictions?
9. papss (Posts: 2192; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Because Virgin mobil sucks.. sorry but they dont get the phones that i want to buy and when they do get phones its late.
10. downphoenix (Posts: 1996; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Well if you have to be prissy and get the OMG Galaxy S3 right away, then yea, they get good phones late. Still, they got the Evo 3D, which is a pretty powerful android phone, and the Iphone 4S for Apple lovers, same Iphone the other carriers get but with a much lower bill.
13. papss (Posts: 2192; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Yes I do need the latest phones and no the evo 3d wasn't and isn't a good phone.. I love HTC but it was a dud
15. items17070 (Posts: 70; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
yeah, your the 'MUST HAVE' IDIOT who will have to work til you DROP DEAP! BECAUSE YOU MUST HAVE! :-)
11. downphoenix (Posts: 1996; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Anyway, this article just goes to show that Cell Phone service is TOO expensive here in the US. Its more expensive here than anywhere else in the civilized world. We may gawk at Europeans paying $700+ on a good smartphone over there, but they also pay like 1/3rd of the bill we did usually
18. deanprochnow (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
*NEW* Turn your cellphone into a source of income for you and your family (an asset)... instead of a bill you pay every month (a liability)!
Solavei - Unlimited 4G Voice, Text, and Data Cell Phone Plan for $49
Solavei offers unlimited 4G voice, text, and data cell phone service for $49. When you share Solavei with others and they join, you earn real money.