DROID beats out iPhone for Time Magazine's 2009 Gadget of The Year
Motorola DROID Specifications | Review
1. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
iPhone may add a key board to it phone some day in order to compete with DROID.
3. Trevsx1000 (Posts: 33; Member since: 08 Dec 2009)
I like the way you phrased that to sound as though the iphone must play catchup to the Droid. For that I shall +1 you!!!
4. hawk62 (Posts: 320; Member since: 21 Nov 2009)
Good for the droid. Half the credit should go to verizon since that is the reason they have sold so many. The real test will be how long the droid lasts. The iphone is in its third year and still on the list and still selling very well even with ATT bad network.
6. deschats (Posts: 193; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
very true but iphone has also released two new models since the original. maybe motorola shall do the same?
7. deschats (Posts: 193; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
sorry, apple has released two new models. hehe.
5. jundibasam (Posts: 119; Member since: 05 Aug 2009)
Droid seems to be doing pretty well despite all the iphone fannys grasping at straws to prove otherwise. The real key has hawk62 says is how long that can be sustained, especially as Android skyrockets to the top of the marketshare over the next 12-18 months. What may happen, which I hope will NOT happen, is that Android becomes fragmented with difference manufacturers, etc and go the way of Windows Mobile. I hope the Google/VZW partnership is really a strategic one.
8. bucky (Posts: 1907; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
say what you will about the iphone 3gs, but the droid wouldnt even exist without it. (coming from a nokia n900 owner)
9. tshow84 (Posts: 65; Member since: 11 Jun 2009)
thats just dumb - you're telling me that iphone invented the phone? or touchscreen? or are you saying that if apple never made the iphone 3gs, nevermind the other two iphones before that, then motorola wouldnt have made a flagship phone with the most up and coming operating system on the nations largest carrier? get a grip...
11. artz1986 (Posts: 453; Member since: 11 Mar 2009)
let's give the kid the benefit of the doubt and say they meant to say 'iPhone' period. iPhone 3GS has nothing to do w/ the Droid being released, the iPhone 2G however is another story.
13. Jyakotu (Posts: 824; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
Well, the iPhone did make touchscreen phones popular (even though they were around for awhile) and it did make App Stores popular.
10. artz1986 (Posts: 453; Member since: 11 Mar 2009)
Why would a phone that is essentially the same phone from last year be considered for Gadget of the Year this year? The Droid was a good pick because it actually is the phone that 'introduces' the masses to Android in the States. I know htc came out w/ the G1 as the first Android device, but that was on Tmo, compare the number of customers Tmo has to the number of customers using Vzw... it's night and day. Plus Vzw has its aggressive marketing for the device that's helping get the name out. Though, I do think if the HD2 was hanging out in the States w/ 3G, that would have been the device of the year, hands down....
21. deschats (Posts: 193; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
the hd2 is a fantastic phone, but i think since most agree that winmo is inferior to android and webos it would have been maybe 9-10?
28. sit2k (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Dec 2009)
Windows Mobile is inferior to webOS and Android? please explain this statement, i am amazed it actually was said
15. Mateo8326 (Posts: 472; Member since: 15 Jul 2009)
Of course droid would surpass the iphone the phone ain't even been out for a year yet. Iphone is still better there overall yeah the droid has some advantages but overall the iphone is better
19. vzwman (Posts: 385; Member since: 26 Oct 2009)
android=free apps apple=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$out of yo pocket
22. deschats (Posts: 193; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
no. the droid, im happy to say, is a much superior phone. i very much agree with vzwman that apple just burns holes in your pockets. apple filled their app store with naked girls and fart sounds. android has great apps that are not only useful to the phone but fun. the iphone really doesnt have much besides a nice processor and "apps" as you would call them.
25. easyheimer (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Dec 2009)
What are you talking about? You know how many iPhone apps are free? I have also used the Droid and trust me, they have very few free apps now and their apps are actually pretty pricey. Know your facts before you speak, because you'll be paying for apps just as much as iPhone users.
26. phoegirl_09 (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Dec 2009)
Actually your very incorrect when you say there are few free apps. Your obviously not accessing the free apps correctly. It took me near three days, not straight of course, to thumb through all of the free apps. And they are adding more and more free apps everyday. So you should get your facts straight before deciding to bash the app store for android!
27. vzw fanman (Posts: 1973; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
i know, there are tons of free apps, i havn't once needed to buy an app, i wish i could have said that for my bb storm.
17. vzwfann15 (Posts: 16; Member since: 10 Jun 2009)
Good Job Verizon and Motorola! Maybe Verizon won't need the iphone after all
23. deschats (Posts: 193; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
i dont think verizon really needed the iphone. they just wanted it.
18. vzwman (Posts: 385; Member since: 26 Oct 2009)
android=free apps apple=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$out of yo pocket
20. merc56 (Posts: 18; Member since: 16 Sep 2009)
Yeah Droid ! ! ! ! Would still like to see Verizon get the iphone someday just to see what would happen to AT&T. . . .
24. deschats (Posts: 193; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
someday, the iphone will be a run-down phone from the ancient past. merry christmas!