x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Sprint Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Cancel Service with Sprint No ETF

hltechie 11 Sep 2012, 11:48 posted on

I am really fed up with Sprint service. At home my phone (iPhone 4S) says it has service (barely) yet I can never make a decent call, the reception is horrible and cuts out all the time. My wife is on the same plan with an HTC Evo 4G Shift and has the same problems. Just yesterday driving home from work I was roaming the whole time, I live in the Washington DC area, major urban area, this shouldn't be happening! I want to cancel my service. Is this grounds for no ETF? Roaming is not showing on my bill but the phone and horrible service does... Any advice on canceling with no ETF? Does anyone know if there have been any material changes recently with Sprint?

posted on 18 Sep 2012, 15:30 1

1. falconsndawgs (Posts: 7; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)

They are currently expanding their LTE services in the Washington D.C. area. During this time you will have poor call reception do to certain towers being down and other towers having to handle the load. Once fully operational the issues will be gone with the ability to have LTE services in your area.

posted on 19 Sep 2012, 07:46

3. hltechie (Posts: 116; Member since: 08 May 2009)

That would make sense but this has just been going on too long. I don't care if my data is a bit slow (I do most of my downloads and email on WiFi anyways) it's just the lack of being able to make a call. I'm just frustrated at Sprint. Thanks for the information.

posted on 18 Sep 2012, 22:54 1

2. Travis (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)

Sprint was supposed to have finished adding their towers and converting from nextel towers in the chicago area. That was supposed to have finished by early june, it is now late september and their service has not improved one bit. Their customer service initially stated that since our service was so horrible they would "not" be charging us for the past 6 or so months. Basically adding the credit to our accounts so that we would not be paying for s**tty service. Called them back later to confirm it and they said that they would only credit $100 over the next four payments. When I drive 30 minutes to work and only have service for 10 of those minutes, when my home is a dead spot even with their airave, I feel that I have a right to cancel my contract to move to a better service provider. Gotta love big corporations and their lawyers, my $180 a month for one phone pays for them I guess.

Next time they have a real material change I can guarantee you that I will be making calls for myself and friends, I can probably get 15-20 friends to drop sprint in this area.

Have a good day.

posted on 19 Sep 2012, 07:47

4. hltechie (Posts: 116; Member since: 08 May 2009)

Yes, this is exactly what I am going through as well... It really sucks.

posted on 07 Nov 2012, 10:52

5. jkwjheel1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)

I'm going through the same issues. I've spent innumerable hours on the phone with Sprint. I put up with the lousy service . I limp along with an airave device up until I upgraded to the LTE 4g. Now I can't get reliable connection to the airrave and no support from sprint to help me fix the issue which their own techs have acknowledged is a known issue. I've been a customer for 9 years, when I moved 4 miles in the same town I lost coverage completely. I tried to get out of ETF and they say that they don't have the "evidence" based on their research to support my claim. I'm certain their data is completely objective, what a joke. I'm making what is equivalent to a car payment with a car I can't drive. Please keep us posted on any potential material changes in the contracts. I will tell many friends. Its a hassle to change carriers but at this point I'm backed into a corner, Thanks for letting me vent.

posted on 07 Nov 2012, 12:36

6. hltechie (Posts: 116; Member since: 08 May 2009)

I was finally able to get out of my contract because my wife has an old address listed in a non-coverage area. We said that we travel to that area in the mountains enough that we are loosing service all the time. Not to mention no service in the DC area most of the time... First they offered to just give us a $25 credit a month... then they finally gave in after hours on the phone with them. They made a deal that if we returned our devices to Sprint we would be allowed to leave with no ETF... which is still total bs. I mean my wife had an HTC Evo Shift (which isn't worth much at this point) but the other line (my line) had an 32gb iPhone 4S, which is almost worth the total cost of the ETF and then some. So what I did was I switched out my line with a crappy old LG slider phone and will keep the sell the iPhone 4s outright. Sprint just wanted a phone on that line returned, they didn't say it had to be an iPhone lol

posted on 07 Nov 2012, 12:37

7. hltechie (Posts: 116; Member since: 08 May 2009)

I have since switched to Verizon and I have been very happy with the coverage! :)

posted on 25 Feb 2013, 09:05

9. dkmidwest (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)

Did switching the phone work? Were you able to sell it? I am in the same situation and would like to do this but don't want to get burned.

posted on 26 Feb 2013, 08:03

10. hltechie (Posts: 116; Member since: 08 May 2009)

Unfortunately now they are telling me the entire conversation (leaving with no ETF) never happened... the battle goes on. I would say the safest thing to do is to either cancel and pay the ETF or just wait out the contract. Battling Sprint has simply become a nightmare, with poor service to go with it.

posted on 06 Dec 2012, 21:58

8. lacrossebowler (Posts: 8; Member since: 06 Dec 2012)

what you should do is party full retail price for the phone. Then there would be no contact issues.

posted on 12 Feb 2014, 01:10 1

11. ndrey (Posts: 41; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)

We are still able to fix some of iPhone no service issues:http://www.letsunlockiphone.com/no-service-iphone/

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories