Verizon’s HTC Rezound OTA Ice Cream Sandwich update now live
Starting late yesterday, users started reporting on various forums that the ICS update has gone live for them, and today, in the morning, Verizon confirmed the update is live. It’s an over-the-air affair, so just make sure you are on a solid Wi-Fi network and off you go with the download.
Here’s a short overview of some of the new features ICS brings to the HTC Rezound:
* Launch Bar to drag apps, shortcuts, and folders on home screen
* Swipe away specific notifications or access notification drawer from lock screen
* Face Unlock
* Data monitoring warnings and caps
* Swipe to multitask and switch between apps
* Improved voice input for speech to text
* Enabled Wireless Alerting system
* Improved Mobile Hotspot feature
1. pimpclark (Posts: 12; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
When is the update to roam globally on gsm networks coming? Kind of a sarcastic question really, but I am not clear why all the LTE phones equipped with the proper insides and ICS are not enabled immediately to roam on non cdma networks globally. So far only the droid razr and droid razr maxx has the feature enabled for now. Disappointing.
21. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Allow me to answer that oh so very important question:
Once the Rezound (as well as the Motorola Droid 4) receives ICS 4.0 (or, whatever the update version will be), respectively, the device(s) will be Global Capable upon completion of said installation and the device once again is registers in "the switch".
However, you will be confined to Verizon for Global service if your device has been active on a Verizon line for less than six months. Once the device has met the six-month minimum you can, then call the Global Tech Department and request a "carrier unlock" so that your device can be used internationally with a local or regional prepaid service provider; your Verizon line should also be in good standing for the same six-month period before Verizon will grant a carrier unlock.
Hope your ICS comes soon.
28. cthunder (Posts: 104; Member since: 02 Nov 2010)
Any Idea when the Droid 4 will be getting ICS?
29. jj2410 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Aug 2012)
So I understand the sequence:
First, ICS must be updated on the phone;
Second, Verizon must send a separate update which renders the phone to be Global capable;
Third, once the phone is Global capable, I must get the device specific (not sim specific) carrier unlock from Verizon tech support - which they can withhold if I do not meet the six month minimums (is it a device minimum or a minimum based on time being a Verizon customer - as I have been for many years?)..
Is an alternative to buy a device unlock code from many of the sites that offer this for a fee? Or are these sites scams? Or are they irrelevant until the device is rendered Global capable by Verizon?
Is another alternative to the above to simply root and unlock the device after rooting?
18. ojdidit84 (Posts: 272; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
Nope. Not even supported by CM7. Only CM builds are kangs that were ported to the Rezound.
4. ReallyEhly (Posts: 13; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
I'm sorry, but does anyone know when the ICS update for Verizon's HTC Thunderbolt will be available?
5. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I'm not sure if it is even going to come.
22. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Wrong, it's on "the list". However, no Jellybean.
6. jesusLTEchrist (Posts: 11; Member since: 21 May 2010)
It'll likely be a couple months. If you look back through old articles HTC released a schedule for when each phone was getting updated about a month and a half ago or so. Its been accurate besides the Rezound which was one day late I guess(it was listed to be done in jun-jul). If I remember correctly the Thunderbolt was scheduled Aug-Sep or Sep-Oct, something like that. So I guess it could be soon but I wouldn't get to antsy until the middle of September or so.
23. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 305; Member since: 03 May 2012)
They should provide the ics update for the original thunderbolt but also make a thunderbolt 2....nuff said
7. ReallyEhly (Posts: 13; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
The timeline document released from HTC before had July-August as the release timeframe.
15. JC557 (Posts: 971; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Yeah, both Inc2 and TB should be getting it soon after the Rezound assuming it's still coming as planned.
I'm hesitant about pulling the update as GB has been pretty bug free on my Rezound. Then again it's ICS... I just hope it wasn't rushed.
Lastly: Unlimited 4G data FTW!
8. jesusLTEchrist (Posts: 11; Member since: 21 May 2010)
I have nothing yet. I'm guess they sent it out 7/31 11:59 Hawaii time and it has too download (299mb) before it prompts you to update it. Hopefully its not more than 2-3 days until I get it.
10. gadget (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Aug 2012)
THE REZOUND HAS ICS!
After trying check software upgrade and nothing happening. I connected to wifi and the 4.0 ICS appeared. upgrade in process Now!
13. veevans01 (Posts: 29; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
Downloading firmware right now!! Yoo Hoo!!
14. JC557 (Posts: 971; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I also heard elsewhere that it's National Ice Cream Sandwhich Day =)
16. torr310 (Posts: 355; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Running the ICS on my Rezound now!
Just simply got it off the 4G network since my area has great 4G coverage.
17. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Running ICS on my Rezound now and it is buttery smooth! If they delayed it to fix bugs, it seems so far to have been worth the wait!
19. veevans01 (Posts: 29; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
I've had it for 90 minutes. So far Ice Cream sandwich is running smoothly on my Rezound. I like the enhancements.
20. chrisbo5 (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
super smooth. i know i couldve had it weeks ago if i installed a rom, but it feels good to finally have it
24. Tommyp1972 (Posts: 14; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
got the update..now I LOST POWER SETTINGS and MY 4G completely.....stuck in 3G in a 4G area...WTH!!...wheres the setting to turn it back on???
25. Ralston1983 (Posts: 65; Member since: 03 Feb 2011)
If I'm running a leaked i c s build, should i go back to gingerbread first?
26. JC557 (Posts: 971; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Okay, I bit (since my phone kept popping the notification) and found some browser/ text input related bugs. Minor bugs but bugs nonetheless. The new Sense and combining apps into folders are great.
27. brikz4real (Posts: 173; Member since: 24 Dec 2008)
I downloaded the update this morning and "so far, so good". I did notice a major lag in some of the games I downloaded (such as Super Stick Man Golf), but that is no major issue. I love the new Gmail interface. And just to be very clear on this, you do not .... I repeat .... DO NOT .... need to be on Wifi to get this update. I downloaded and updated the phone in about 25 minutes .... on 3G (because I was out and about with no Wifi or 4G present). Just a bit of info for you.
30. kutelorainchik (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Aug 2012)
Does anyone know how the Update gets rolled out. I still havent rec'd the update! Im checking for software updates multiple times a day, and nothing! Wi-Fi, 3G or 4G... Nothing coming up with anything.