Verizon’s $2 ‘Convenience Fee’ has caught the attention of the FCC
In a statement issued today, the FCC said, "On behalf of American consumers, we’re concerned about Verizon’s actions and are looking into the matter."
As of right now, you’re choices are, as previously reported, to enroll in Auto Pay, pay at a Verizon store, use a gift card, or murder the environment and re-start paper billing and send in the ‘ol check with an actual stamp, which many have vowed to do out of spite. Verizon may be getting more than it bargained for with the FCC on its heels. Stay tuned, the January 15th effective date is just around the corner.
source: NY Times via IntoMobile
1. LewsTherin006 (Posts: 140; Member since: 18 Nov 2011)
Whats with the FCC? Could be be they are actually doing their job? This is great!
2. DROIDX0430 (Posts: 460; Member since: 24 Nov 2010)
Great news. All of tbese cell phone companies are out of control.
3. Whateverman (Posts: 3236; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Good, because I'm not paying it! And I'm gonna pay my bill however I damn well please! Just answer me one question VZW. Why should I have to PAY you...to PAY YOU!?!?!
5. johnny9000 (Posts: 46; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
I understand why AT&T charges $5 to pay with a live rep to discourage that practice, but paying online, sms, and IVR is totally free, as it should be. Verizon charging $2 "CONVENIENCE FEE" to use an AUTOMATED service is insanity. I will do anything to avoid paying this fee, on principle.
6. quakan (Posts: 1266; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
It's free to go in store and use the time of an employee and pay but yet it costs to not bother anyone and pay without hassles? HEY VERIZON...┌∩┐(-_-)┌∩┐
20. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Thats an awesome smiley haha. thumbs up. hahaha
9. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Lol, I'm sure this is the reason you have sprint. Bug off with your nonsense. Good that the FCC is on this, I don't like it and I was not going to switch my carrier because of it. But I sure as hell wasn't going to pay that $2 fee for any reason, VZW stores are very close and anyone complaining about having to walk to the store, what the hell did you do when you had to pay bills before there was online payments, this stuff is still relatively new. Anyway kudos to the FCC!
8. c.hack (Posts: 528; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
I just de-activated my paperless billing. Let them pay to print and send me a paper bill, otherwise I might just charge Verizon $2 to process my email.
10. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Oh look, government interfering again.
Boohoo, suck it up and pay or go elsewhere.
13. c.hack (Posts: 528; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
It wouldn't be an issue if we could go anywhere else. The government is doing their job, for once. Protecting the taxpayers instead of corporations.
If you don't like it, go live in another country.
25. StillStuckWithDroid (Posts: 65; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
oh look...The Fag Miz being a mindless troll again
Your parents didnt pay any attention to you growing up did they
11. nacixem (Posts: 32; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
i guess free services aint so free anymore...
12. Carlitos (Posts: 395; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Are people really taking this 2012 thing srsly? Thats the only explanation i can come up with for verizon to be doing this.
And good for the FCC, i think this At&t tmobile deal, woke them up.
14. squeeb (Posts: 99; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Unbelievable. If anything we're doing them a favor by paying online. I should also re-start paper billing.
15. Humboldt1 (Posts: 16; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
When there was a Sprint store where I live,they would charge you $5.00 to pay your bill in the store and that was over 5 yrs ago.
16. willywill_evo (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
UPDATE thanks to the pressure of the FCC and the people, verizon wont charge the $2
17. Forsaken77 (Posts: 552; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Talk about greedy...jeez. There's no other reason to do this but because they're greedy. Even if they made the "convenience fee" $.25, they'd be raking in millions of extra dollars every month. And 25 cents they probably could've gotten away with. They're charging people to make THEIR lives easier and lower THEIR own costs. Everyone that has Verizon should use paper billing, if you don't already, just to make Verizon have an added expense to print and ship your bill. Then send them a check so they have to send a physical person to the bank.
18. willywill_evo (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
i take my $2 and buy a beer everytime i pay my phone bill for now on
19. jove39 (Posts: 1449; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
How about $2 discount for all customers paying online to Verizon ;)
24. ThePhoneGURU (Posts: 11; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
The funny thing to me, is that at my store if you want to pay a bill in cash we use a system called "precash" which does have a $3 fee...lols. I freaking hate customers who pay their bill in store. i have better shiz to do.
26. ChafedBanana (Posts: 364; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
My time is NOT free. Processing a bill payment is work. I don't work for free. Do you? Time is money. If you can't pay your bill online I will charge you $3 to pay your bill in store for taking my time that I could otherwise be spending with a customer who actually wants to buy something.