Taiwanese version of HTC One S said to launch with dual-core 1.7GHz S3 processor
While HTC hasn't confirmed this, the manufacturer seems reluctant to even reveal which CPU is powering the HTC One S in its own back yard. On HTC's web site, all it says is that the phone has a dual-core processor. There has been speculation that a shortage of the S4 chip is to blame. For it's part, HTC says that the device will perform the same as the international model and will offer the same battery life (with the same 1650mAh cell) as the latter model even though the S4 processor has been touted for its improved power management.
If you live in Taiwan, the HTC One S will be in stores in a matter of days.
1. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4502; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Man it sucks to be in Taiwan. There is NO way the S3 at 1.7GHz will perform the same as a 28nm S4 Krait at 1.5GHz. Man HTC & Qualcomm dropped the ball on that one.
2. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Well, technically, it's not HTC's & Qualcomm's fault, TSMC is to blame.
3. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4502; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I know, I know. They should delay it maybe until early August just to have the S4 in it. That's just me though. Wishful thinking I guess.
4. anthony60415 (Posts: 15; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Damn I was so willing to buy this in Taiwan,I just cannot believe that HTC betrayed its home country Taiwan,sorry but I'm going for Samsung ~
5. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Like downgrading the processor in a phone amounts to treason or something.
7. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5653; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, i can see a Pro or Quad roll-out in the near future alright. Qualcomm can't even get regular S4s for phones that were originally supposed to have them. xD
8. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
@superandroidevo : why not ? I know it's an older chip but higher clock speed
9. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5653; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the only big difference bringing an S3 to 1.7GHz is going to do is decease the battery life. HTC is just doing this for appearances, you know, for the people that can count and think that the higher the number the better it is.
10. mercorp (Posts: 987; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
then why not use the tegra 3,or the exynos 5?
That would make the one s hot.
11. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5653; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
that's a good question. this version isn't using LTE or HSPA+ 42mbps is it? the Tegra III was definitely an option if so.
14. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I don't think Samsung is interested in selling their cpu to their single biggest competitor. As far as the t3, who knows. Maybe they didnt want it stealing the international One X's quad core thunder.
12. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I wish that it should not happen but if it does that would be a big shame considering that it is the company's home country