Sony Xperia Z1 (Honami) round-up: release date, 20.7MP camera, 5-inch Triluminos display and Snapdragon 800
Luckily for you, there's no need to panic, for we're about to break it all down for you into easily digestible bits. A part of those are, strictly speaking, rumored/speculated information, but we nevertheless expect Sony's event on September 4 at IFA 2013 to announce a device with features largely identical to the ones below.
Sony Xperia Z1 (Honami) round-up Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Sony Xperia Z1 (Honami) round-up
1. Sony Xperia Z1 coming with "the world's leading camera in a smartphone"
2. Buy one, get one free
3. Latest intel points to a September 24 release date on UK's Three
4. Honami comes packing a 20.7MP shooter
On the software side, Sony's proprietary BIONZ imaging processor, which can be found on some of Sony's dedicated camera, is said to come packed in the Sony Xperia Z1.
5. 5-inch 1080p Triluminos display with X-Reality engine
The above situation has changed a great deal, though, since the introduction of Triluminos tech for mobile and the new and improved X-Reality engine has marked a new high for Sony. The Japanese company's mobile display now seem competitive with industry standard-setters like AMOLEDs and Super LCD3.
For a visual comparison and more in-depth discussion of the new display tech that will be coming with the Sony Xperia Z1, read more HERE.
6. Performance powerhouse
For a full break-down of the specs on the Sony Xperia Z1, click here.
7. September 4 announcement, September 18 launch?
8. IP55/58 certified
Those of you who are concerned with the size of a 5-incher should know that there has been some rumors that a non-IP certified version of the Z1 will also be made available at some point. As was the case with the Xperia Z and its less rugged Xperia ZL equivalent, the alternative version will probably be slightly more compact.
9. Color options
10. Enough with the tease!
Read more here and here.
11. Dedicated LED notifications light
An image of the Honami being charged was posted on Facebook, showcasing that the Xperia Z1 will feature a dedicated LED notifications light at the very top of the device.
12. Continues the Xperia design language
Regardless, Sony's design has managed to sway an admittedly growing portion of the market, and there certainly are those who fancy the rugged, rectangular design.
13. Early photo sample
Of course, these can be easily faked, not to mention that most of them are most likely taken with an early prototype version of either (or both) the software and hardware. As with previous hyped-up device announcements, we're in no hurry whatsoever to cast a verdict on how good Sony's camera is. Make no mistake, though, we sure are itching to find out!
Read more here and here
14. Will capture 4K video
15. Camera UI overhaul
Read more here and here
16. Magnetic plug support
17. A mini version of the Xperia Z1?
18. One Sony
19. When it leaks, it pours
1. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
10th photo perfect impressive Sample image with f2.0
just few days and BooM
this thing will rock
haters gonna hate
7. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 845; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
This will rock indeed, hence the haters were quick enough to post here.
55. akki20892 (Posts: 2677; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
This Xperia Z1 is coming in my home 100%.
62. garlic456 (Posts: 103; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Putting putting a snapdragon 800 on a 720p phone will make it the fastest device in the world :D
Xperia Z1 mini will be faster than the original Z1
2. lallolu (Posts: 211; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
No mention of battery anywhere. I hope it is not less than 3000mah.
50. Assa7inKing (Posts: 26; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
EVERYWHERE its mentioned 3000mah... DUDE.
3. redmd (Posts: 786; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
#bestofSony = bezels
The Z1 could have been more compact. The ZU might get away with it because it's almost a tablet.
6. ArtSim98 (Posts: 1149; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I don't understand that what's wrong with bezels bigger than 0,0001 mm? It looks absolutely stunning and is still easily compact enough. And it's very thin even though it has a 20 mpx camera!
21. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 547; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Well then this is not for you buddy
"if you dont have a Xperia Z1, well you dont have a Xperia Z1"
35. Fluxman (Posts: 40; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
The bezel size is to make room for the sealing components required to make it water-resistant. You want a tiny bezel? Get the ZL or wait for Sony to release a non-water-resistant variation. I am more concerned with ergonomics. The Xperia Z had a sharp edge which cut into my hands. Hopefully Honami will be smoother.
36. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Maybe you can try to design bezelles 5” waterproof phone with 1/2.3” camera sensor, 3000 mAh, stereo speakers.
last time i check the other 5” waterproof phone (S4 Active) is Taller, wider, thicker, and heavier than Xperia Z.
But S4 Active has smaller camera sensor, smaller battery, and smaller speaker than Z1.
57. gigaraga (Posts: 203; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
The S4 Active is only slightly larger in every aspect. Less than 1-2mm.
The smaller camera sensor takes better photos, and it has a larger 2600mAh battery..not to mention the louder speakers versus xperiaz's puny speakers .....read the specs before you post
49. rd_nest (Posts: 606; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
For many people Sony's bezel is frustrating.
Samsung and LG and iPad mini does a good job in that.
4. ArtSim98 (Posts: 1149; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I will definitely buy this! There just simply isn't any chance for any other companies!
8. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Lol, the galaxy note 3 will mess this in terms of sales. Now whether that will be a better device than Sony honami is a different thing.
13. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 845; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
They aren't in the same category, one is a phone, the other is a phablet. But both of them will be real good.
53. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
If only Sony went for a true A15 by Tegra4, instead of S800! I would've love to buy this!
54. akki20892 (Posts: 2677; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Again troll, I'm telling u make your own phone u better like it.
5. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Those are some big bezels right there. This phone is too boxy for me. It looks like a brick.
23. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 547; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Wwohhh.... you can insult it as alot of things but not to brick.
Many including myself thinks it as one of the best device available.
26. PunyPoop (Posts: 625; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Any Samsung paid guys here to troll about bezels?
32. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4838; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Loads of them. Some of them are playing around here, and some of them are still hiding in the cave. Wait until September 4th, and you will see all Samsung paid shills come out and whine about bezels.
Be careful, those paid shills are easily butthurt. You may receive a warning if you fire back at them.
67. tahnik (Posts: 125; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
Complains with screen is over,Here comes the bezel now...:/
9. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
sony needs to come up with new design this sh*t is getting boring all sony phones looks like brick
12. buccob (Posts: 1046; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Actually Sony is one of the few with exotic designs... though they experiment that on the midrange line, not flagships
14. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 845; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
It has not been a year since the Z-designed phones were made. No one who owns these phones would have a problem with the design.
40. SonyPS4 (Posts: 222; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Yes because Samsung and Apple always have different design. Right ?
10. josephnero (Posts: 205; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
i love this phone.september 4th come on
11. Rexperia (Posts: 98; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
ok... give me a break first! aftet display and camera issues with XZ, now new episodes has come.... bezel. people are never satisfied and that's human nature but technology made by human, right? so just be grateful for the tech that's available out there, the only thing you need to do is choose which one do you think it suits for you, it so easy...
16. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 845; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
It is the haters who would try their best finding holes of Sony's flagship.
15. isprobi (Posts: 117; Member since: 30 May 2011)
With all that bezel at top and bottom why use on screen buttons that take up valuable screen realestate?
17. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 845; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
That is what I'm thinking. They could have had buttons on the bezels like on the S4. But then, some would find on-screen buttons more easier to use.
20. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Well september the 4th is going to be fun...
34. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5286; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Only thing holding me back (presuming everything works up to its full potential) is not running on VZW.
66. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Yea, I would love the xperia z but it's T-Mobile only, dumb decision on Sony's part IMO.
69. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5286; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
More like stoooooopid decision on Sony's part.... One step forward, and 3 steps backward. At least in the U.S.
24. HTCOE (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
their os feels crappy and dirty though but aside from that it's nice...google edition please and i may consider
25. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 845; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
So many things wrong with this post.
First, this isn't Sony's OS.
And it's interesting that you can feel OS's without touching them. I wonder who's ever felt an OS in their entire life.
28. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 845; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Damn that 240 second edit limit.
Also, this phone hasn't even been released! And I hope you realise that 80% of smartphone users are on the OS that you say, "feels crappy and dirty " Even the Google Edition phones run on the OS that you say, " feels crappy and dirty ".
41. HTCOE (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
sorry this post affended you but what i was saying is the phone has the potential to be a great phone due to the specs and etc but from previous experience with sony 's interface it will make my ability of wanting to own such greatness a less of a chance. i was speaking in general sir. and it's an opinion to the feel for "me" with Google Play edition phone because I prefer those
44. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 845; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I was not offended. Definitely wouldn't get offended if it's anything to do with phones. I just pointed out the impossible in your post.
31. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4838; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
It's actually called UI (User Interface), not OS (Operating System). And looks like you don't know how to use the word "crappy" and "dirty". IMO, Sony's UI is the best, it's modern and clean.
As far as I know, there are no crappy and dirty UI's. Only our crap are dirty.
42. HTCOE (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
indeed it's ui and not os and hey it's my opinion sony fan... it's ok if i don't like it ya know lol
45. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 845; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Initially, you said OS. Not sure if you're replying to me. I have nothing against the opinion. Like I said, I was pointing out the impossible in your post (that includes the impossible opinion).
It's like me saying, I think unicorns can't run as fast as I can.
30. Taters (Posts: 2392; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Photo 11 says it all. Slightly taller than the Xperia Z and the Xperia Z was too big in the first place.
33. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Xperia Z is smaller than S4 Active and Butterfly S.
39. hellonerds (Posts: 123; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Nice phone. Now I not sure what to get Note 3 or this.. Both should be nice.. Have to wait and see..
46. zachattack (Posts: 439; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
i think the hype on this phone is as unwarranted as the Moto X. This phone is essentially the xperia z 2. #Notimpressedyet
47. Commentator (Posts: 2183; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Well then, what phone does currently warrant hype? The Note 3 is looking like an upgraded Note 2, the iPhone 5S will be an iPhone 5 2, and the One Max will be a bigger One. At least the Moto X had a few unique features going for it: it's being marketed as high-end featuring mid-range specs, it's made in the US, and you can "customize" it.
48. roscuthiii (Posts: 1717; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I've never even been interested in a Sony smartphone until the Z1... and right now i'd take it over anything else.
51. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 396; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
It may look like a brick in photos but personally it is so damn sexy. Just like the Z and the Ultra. I thougt their bezels where big but no they are not. The bezels are just looking fine and enough, not too much nor too little.
52. oister85 (Posts: 385; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
I'm holding my s3 for this beuty I think the wait is worthy.