Nokia EOS/Lumia 1020 might actually be called the Nokia 909
If true, it is certainly a moniker that pays homage to the Nokia 808 PureView, a game changing device that defined a whole new standard for smartphone cameras. Indeed, its monster 41MP sensor along with lossless zoom and fully manual adjustments made for a very special device.
Despite that amazing camera and overall excellent performance, its Symbian OS underpinnings along with the transitions Nokia was contending with at the time did not foster an environment for the 808 PureView to see widespread popularity. It does have a cult following though, with new and well-cared-for used devices readily available for sale.
With the pending announcement of the device codenamed “Elvis,” just around the corner, Nokia is bringing the next generation of its camera technology to bear, and it does seem right to maintain some type of common thread for what will be a very uncommon device.
What do you think? Does affixing a “909” to this new super-camera-smartphone make sense? Is it worthy of such a designation (we are sure the Symbian purists may have thoughts)?
1. cyko969 (Posts: 49; Member since: 23 Mar 2010)
i don't care what they call it .. just release it already :)
3. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"i don't care what they call it..."
Don't be so sure! :D
12. akki20892 (Posts: 3744; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Just want to see one photo taken by eos.
15. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
It will be same as 808! So what difference will that make?
But this time it won't look ugly, hideous, thick, big, like the 808PV.
2. iamfoolhehe (Posts: 28; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
AS symbian powered 41MP cam is 808.
WP powered 41MP cam may be 909 ..signify an update ...
This makes sense :)
20. Credo (Posts: 702; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Maybe even something else ... Who knows
28. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 166; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
They might surprise us and have it run MeeGo :)
4. JMartin22 (Posts: 1508; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
This name would likely just confuse consumers. You don't want people to think that you're just releasing a budget phone due to the smaller numbering in comparison with the Lumia series
9. -box- (Posts: 3944; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
All the Lumia 900s are the flagships, 800s are high-mid, 700 mid, 600 entry-level, 500 budget.
5. Credo (Posts: 702; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Can't wait, another 7 days ..... So excited ! & please don't hate my opinion :)
6. TheStanleyFTW (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
I hate your opinion...HA! WHAT THA GONNA DO? ;)
11. Jehovah (Posts: 69; Member since: 25 Jun 2013)
Same here. I really need to see this. Longest 7 days of my personal phone history...
14. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
You must love taking pictures....?
I'm awaiting to! Hope it looks like the L925 and not the curvy L920...?
I'm planning to buy this phone...
Let's wait as see...
22. Credo (Posts: 702; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Yes i do, i'm addicted to Nature & Siberian Husky's so whenever i see something like that i want to take great picture's .. I hope when you buy the phone that you can see the + points of the OS, i know you hate "prison" OS'es, but give it a shot and think like the average consumer ... I love Android, but i really really love Windows Phone...
7. -box- (Posts: 3944; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I like 909 better than 1020, but would prefer 941 for general consumers' sakes. They don't expect numbers to go down. 928 should have been 922, for example. The homage to a somewhat unknown phone (except tech, camera, and cell enthusiasts like us) may not be the best course of action.
That said,they could call it the Big Super Camera Awesome Lumia Box 999 and I wouldn't care, just release it already!
10. papss (unregistered)
I want this in my hands now.. I had a red lumia and trades to a cyan one. I like it in cyan just a hair better so here's to hoping for this phone in cyan.
24. Credo (Posts: 702; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
I want to buy the Lumia 909 in Yellow, it will be so sexy together with my Cyan Lumia 920 ...
29. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3306; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Just like ur avatar, but try yellow this time on the same day when EOS / 909 will be announced.
17. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Congrats to Nokia for preparing to release a smartphone that offers something truly unique and powerful, especially for those who value photgraphy and image quality :o)
26. Hello-dirt (Posts: 102; Member since: 02 May 2010)
I'm guessing this phone will be model #1010. It makes sense. XX is equal to 1010; therefore, all the other guesses are less valid.
27. SIGPRO (Posts: 613; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Hope it can make 4k movies, it should be possible. Because the 808 can make 4k movies, it was doen a few weeks ago!