Naturally, as part of that OTA upgrade came a newer Baseband Radio I535VRLG7 that was to help with the ""No Sim" error and to increase signal strength.
Now a newer leaked Baseband has it the web, version I535VRLHD. At this early stage, little is know about it, except that it came from Samsung, and is again supposed to help with signal reception on the Galaxy S III and may provide better voice quality as well.
Even though the installation is pretty straight forward, only people who are comfortable with the process should proceed.
- The first step is to make sure you are not running a Custom ROM, and have the official F2, G1, or G7 Verizon ROM installed.
- Next you want to have the Samsung USB drivers installed on your PC (download), and then the ODIN program installed (download).
- You'll also need the new I535VRLHD baseband file (download), but the older ones can be download from here if you want to revert back.
- After that, connect your phone to the PC and wait for the PC to install any device drivers.
- Then unplug the phone and power it off.
- Once the phone is off, press and hold the Volume Down button, the Home Button, and Power Button all at the same time. This will power up the phone into "download mode". Read the warning instructions and press the Volume UP button to continue.
- Open the ODIN program, and reconnect the phone. ODIN should show the phone connected to a COM Port.
- Place a check mark next to PDA and select the file that you saved "VRLHD.modem.tar.md5".
- After it reads the file, select Start and it will flash the Modem.
- Once it is completed , the phone will restart, and you can remove the USB cable.
To verify the new file installed, go to Settings, About Device, and the Baseband Version should say I535VRLHD.
If at any time you want to revert back to the F2, G1, or G7 baseband, download them from here and use the same process in ODIN to flash the modem file.
Let us know if you try the new I535VRLHD radio and if it helps (or hurts) your signal reception and download speed.
source: rootzwiki and XDA Forums