Microsoft responds to WP YouTube block, unleashes on Google
Google also says that we are not complying with its 'terms and conditions.' What Google really means is that our app is not based on HTML5. The problem with this argument, of course, is that Google is not complying with this condition for Android and iPhone. Again, we’re happy to collaborate with Google on an HTML5 app, but we shouldn’t be required to do something that apparently neither iPhone nor Android has successfully figured out how to do.
We think it’s clear that Google just doesn’t want Windows Phone users to have the same experience as Android and Apple users, and that their objections are nothing other than excuses. Nonetheless, we are committed to giving our users the experience they deserve, and are happy to work with Google to solve any legitimate concerns they may have. In the meantime, we once again request that Google stop blocking our YouTube app.
1. shnibz (Posts: 155; Member since: 18 Sep 2011)
Truth. Google doesn't want them to have YouTube so people will buy android.
3. james004 (Posts: 471; Member since: 15 May 2013)
so the whole speech by larry page at Google I/O was nothing.
he is providing just the same inconvenience to people that apple provides by getting phones banned.
and he criticized other company for this act.
what a hypocrite
19. joey_sfb (Posts: 2892; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
iOS something has a better experience than Android itself depending which platform get updated first. M$ has been suing Google in every possible ways and if i am google i will also want M$ to stop before i start to work with them. ->http://www.groklaw.net/
Remember Apple sued Samsung and never dare to bring Google directly into the picture.
61. phil2n (Posts: 466; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
As a customer who likes competition, I'd like to say F**k you google. This is not right.
70. akki20892 (Posts: 3430; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Agree, ms have made their apps on android so why not android make apps for ms.
75. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
actually it took 4 years for us to have a decent outlook client
79. haroonazeem638 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Mar 2011)
which by the way wasn't working all day yesterday (in Canada, atleast) :P
95. haseebzahid (Posts: 1826; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
was it blocked by MS for 4 yars or wasnt good as u expect it to be
117. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
There was no app, MS just recently build it, you would hve needed a workaround..... And MSN messenger never got an app
138. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
MSN messenger was not dead when android was gaining traction
104. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 116; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Well to be honest..youtube is google's product..if they want they shouldnt even be providing it on any other platform other than android..its like what bbm is to blackberry..or various ios products(safari,imessage,siri) is to apple..the only reason a youtube app is there on ios is just cuz there r 2 many ppl using iphone/ipad(customers to google)..thats the reason y microsoft provides its app for ios and android..they dont do that for google..but wp doesnt have that many users that google wud care plus MS did a lot of harm to google in the past..so Google is returning the favour as they should
125. terabyteRouser (Posts: 418; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Google is an advertising company. The more people their advertisements reach, the happier their customers are. So your point is moot.
130. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 116; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Yeah I agree with u and same can be said about bbm(paid membership),etc but its totally their choice who they want to advertise to,,lol,,its their business,they ll handle it the way they like.its nobodies right to just have it...like I said MS did some harm to google in the past,,and google is taking revenge on them now,,,ppl will keep walking away from wp to other platforms(increased probability for android and losses for MS,,,two birds with a stone) due to lack of apps(youtube just adds to the list but its still a big deal)..
Just because u don't understand or agree with my comment doesn't make it moot.
24. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Larry Ellison, the CEO of Oracle Corporation, has strongly hinted that Google is guilty of deliberate intellectual property theft. His company is currently locked in a legal battle with Google, and Ellison maintains that the online search giant used an Oracle programming language without permission.
"We don't compete with Google. We don't do anything Google does. We just think they took our stuff and that was wrong." said Ellison during an interview hosted by Charlie Rose of CBS News.
If Ellison's comments are to be believed, then it should probably not come as any great surprise that Google also appears to be guilty of attempting to block Windows Phone users from having access to youtube videos. It also suggests that Google's corporate motto "don't be evil" is nothing but a hypocritical joke.
41. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5729; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
What fight is Oracle in with Google? They (Oracle) lost big time on the alleged infringement of Java patents. So, what new fight are you referring to?
83. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
You never really lose until you give up, and there are such things as legal appeals ;o)
132. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5729; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Tell that to Samsung. BTW, I haven't heard where Google has been banned from using Java (which would have been a big win for Oracle). Do you know something the rest of us don't?
51. 8logic (Posts: 130; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
know what you are talking about before opening hole on face
126. terabyteRouser (Posts: 418; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Dude are you seriously referencing Larry Ellison. This is the guy who bought Sun strictly for the chance to sue Google for using Android. He played the lottery and lost.
133. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Uh...that case has been over for awhile, with Oracle having to pay Google legal fees.....since Oracle lost....big time.
27. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Now people are starting to see the subtle yet noticeable evil of Google.
66. joey_sfb (Posts: 2892; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Yes Google may be evil but Apple and M$ are worse. Apple tried to use litigation against Android with no noticeable damage. That does no mean they would stop.
M$ had a long history of destroying competition with under hand tactics and been branded monopolistic years ago. Google went thru the same trial but won it.
So Google being evil to some haters or what?
109. willard12 (Posts: 775; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
You're right. Google should be fair and less evil and remove their apps from iOS also.
36. -box- (Posts: 3784; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Their "do no evil" motto has been dead for a while now.
45. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1827; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
They want us to have, those horrible 5min ads.. lol, proTube is better anyways..
63. veer.d (Posts: 85; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
google showing ego that apple previously used
68. MyJobSux (Posts: 80; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
Have you played with the windows phone? Personally I wouldnt buy it. Their marketplace, in my opinion, is crap.
69. akki20892 (Posts: 3430; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Only one thing can solve the problem just shutdown the YouTube damn it.
74. frydaexiii (Posts: 1231; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
1) Youtube belongs to Google.
2) They can do whatever the hell they want with it and decide who should or shouldn't have it.
3)After that whole scroogled campaign? That's like kicking someone in the balls then immediately demanding he lend you money to take a cab home.
4) If you think it's a monopoly, then go create your own video hosting service, or go invest in vimeo or something.
85. Heritor (Posts: 39; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
Window's belongs to Microsoft... If Google can use its ownership of youtube to block access to Window's Phone Users then Microsoft should be able to use Windows PC operating system to block Youtube and Google.... Seeing how 80% of all computers are Window OS it would be an immediate kick to Google's coffers.
91. james004 (Posts: 471; Member since: 15 May 2013)
well that can only be done from an update and only few percentage of pc are running windows 8. so really this isnt a practical thing.
BUT i would love to see mircosoft get google back by blocking youtube from pcs for a day or two.
96. haseebzahid (Posts: 1826; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
few runs win8 but million runs win7 and xp O_o u think youtube can take that kind of hit
last time i remeber Pakistan blocked youtube for a day for half of the world in asia and google had a major panic attack
100. Fernandezxc (Posts: 41; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
Damn, u r so right microsoft should do that to teach google a lesson, and if they started their own video hosting service after that it would be a huge success
107. frydaexiii (Posts: 1231; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Just like Bing, Xbox One and the Microsoft Surface RT & Windows 8 right?
103. frydaexiii (Posts: 1231; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Sure they can, but here's the thing, majority of PC users are on Windows, and a huge amount of Windows users use Google and Youtube for their jobs? Imagine the bilions of dollars and users Microsoft will lose if they cut them off and force them to use Bing? So whol will the one only one losing here? Apple would gain because people will either switch to Macs or Linux computers, Google will still earn their revenue since people will switch to Macs or Linux computers and use Google from there. Only Microsoft will lose their userbase and still no one would use Bing.
Now back to the main issue, WP users barely makeup 15% of the smartphone userbase. So how much is Google losing exactly by cutting off WP users from Youtube? Not much is my guess, plus since WP is the minority here, users who can't live without Youtube or Google can easily switch to either iOS or Android, the current majority of smartphone that have both been well established to have the necessary apps. So who loses here? Google would gain from both increase in iOS running Youtube and new Android phone sales, Apple will gain slightly if people switch from WP to an iOS device for Youtube and Google. The only ones losing would again, only be Microsoft and those stubborn WP users who refuse to switch despite not having Youtube and Google.
113. solomonsteve (Posts: 74; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
Dats so true. i bet Google haven't thought about that..But i dont think Microsoft will do that..
127. shuaibhere (Posts: 1410; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
and there is something known as android remember???
people nowadays use smartphones and tablets for multimedia content...
86. jedpatrickdatu (Posts: 148; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
Why give iOS an app? Isn't Apple a bigger threat than Microsoft? Google is taking this fight with MS too personally. It could hurt their image.
87. kabel (Posts: 43; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Little correction. Google wants them to have YouTube app, but they do not want Microsoft to be the author/developer of the app because Google would loose the full access to the user data. Google wants to be the developer of the app so they can collect as much user data as they can and they will be in full control of it.
129. DFranch (Posts: 139; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Google does not want Windows Phone to have a youtube app. They could have written 20 youtube apps by now.
88. andu.florea (Posts: 2; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Serves them right for all the Scroogled campains. They release one every week and now they want google's support.
After all google is a company and youtube is a service provided by them. They are not obligated to make an app or allow access for everybody to thei service.
128. Srinivas (Posts: 17; Member since: 12 Feb 2011)
Ya and i think google is just doing business as microsoft is when it is charging a hefty licensing fee from android OEM's .
2. clevername (Posts: 1428; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
I was wondering what tos was still being violated. I guess its none. At least none that google stated before. I guess they only want a web page for w8
6. blazee (Posts: 270; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
With all the anti Google ads Microsoft has put out, why would Google go out of their way to give them a helping hand.
13. james004 (Posts: 471; Member since: 15 May 2013)
it was nokia actually and it was anti samsung and anti apple.
18. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
i think he talked about the scroogled campaign
44. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5729; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Yup-per. With MS throwing mud at Google, they (Google) are within their rights to shut down every MS app that didn't meet the exact letter of the TOS.
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
4. jphillips63 (Posts: 171; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Google owns you tube so they have all rights to who can or can not use it. I think it's a good move on google and I really don't know why they allow apple to have it as well.
21. Penny (Posts: 1138; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
One could argue that by allowing YouTube apps on Android and iOS, but not Windows Phone, Google is being anti-competitive. If Microsoft is using the same APIs as iOS and abiding by Google's own TOS, then Google is effectively singling out one competitor and saying "you can't have this."
Now I'm all for your logic and think that it should always be up to the creator without threat of anti-trust violations, but the precedent in the industry is that you can't employ anti-competitive practices like this.
28. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Most of youtube.com videos are full of pirated content anyway, and Google should be held accountable for profiting from the solicitation and distribution of stolen intellectual property.
67. joey_sfb (Posts: 2892; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
And they have been fight the lawsuit by Viacom and companies. Since you are so righteous why whine about not having a you tube app in wp phone.
You should be happy that Windows phone is such a clean and litigation free platform.
89. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
It sounds to me like you are justifying and/or defending Google profiting from pirated content on their youtube website. However, they should at least be willing to share with WP8 users the content they have no right to in the first place..
92. joey_sfb (Posts: 2892; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
M$ has two choices either work with Google by stopping all ligation and licensing bulls**t or continue their path of destruction.
With 80% market share, a strong cash reserve plus the backing of FOSS community and their constant stream of innovation. Tell me how you gotten beat that!
97. haseebzahid (Posts: 1826; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
simple block youtube for every windows platform :P
111. willard12 (Posts: 775; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
....and piss off millions of MS customers in the process. Shareholders would love that.
23. Arthurhkt (Posts: 89; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
If Google follow your logic, they will block entire YouTube service start from every existing Mobile/Desktop OS expect for Android(or maybe only available for Nexus Device) and Chromebook, than they will be exactly same as Apple.