Marissa Mayer pushing for Yahoo to replace Google as the default search engine on iOS
Mayer has already approached several Apple executives about her plan, and has already spoken to Apple's SVP of design, Jony Ive, about it. As it turns out, Yahoo's CEO already knows Ive from her days at Google, which gives her a very big ally in Cupertino. Still, getting Apple to replace Google will not be easy. Part of the problem facing Mayer is that Google pays Apple $1 billion a year to drive traffic to its ad networks. But Yahoo will soon be loaded with cash once Alibaba has its IPO later this year, allowing Yahoo to cash in on its 24% ownership of the company.
Yahoo already powers the iPhone's weather and stocks app, so getting an audience with the entire crew at Cupertino who make the big decisions is certainly possible. But even with this access, it doesn't seem that Apple is inclined to remove Google. Software and services executive EddyCue has said that Google would remain the default search engine for iOS unless a comparable alternative is available.
Talk about Yahoo taking over for Google on iOS isn't new. Last year, there was even a report that CEO Mayer had met with Cue to discuss ways that Yahoo could work more with Apple. Still, the whole thing seems to come back to search. Apple and Google's contract covering search supposedly expires next year, and we would imagine that Apple has an option to renew the deal with terms beneficial to both sides.
source: Recode via AppleInsider
1. joey_sfb (Posts: 4087; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
In the past I like to tried my search on several search engines and google always return the most relevant. After years I just do my search on Google.
Still Yahoo is just promoting business so if they pay apple more they should get the business.
28. rihel_95 (Posts: 276; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Yes every yahoo search is now powered by Bing. I think the deal happened in 2010 or 2011. Not sure. Do a search on yahoo and its written below.
32. sgodsell (Posts: 2096; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
I also thought iOS 7 and above has been using bing as the default search engine. Before it was using Google. You can still change the default search on iOS 7.x
31. lyndon420 (Posts: 2702; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Make sure you disinfect yourself when you're done.
36. Ashoaib (Posts: 2713; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Do you mean kaspersky antivirus protection?
3. skyline88 (Posts: 378; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
good! dont relate the mighty Google with crappy iOS.
give them the terrible Yahoo search engine. well done!
5. jroc74 (Posts: 5271; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
They would be better off with Bing if they replace Google...and I mean that in all seriousness. Bing has actually gotten better.
11. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I will admit that Bing is better than Yahoooooooooooooo
19. tuminatr (Posts: 725; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)
umm I dont think they are different. Yahoo uses binghttp://www.seroundtable.com/ya
33. jroc74 (Posts: 5271; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Didnt know that....goes to show what history, perception does for products...
Just doing a glance at each...I like the layout on Bing alot more vs Yahoo.
Funny how looks, layout has an effect too.
23. Dastrix (unregistered)
But Bing = Yahoo
6. Scott93274 (Posts: 2087; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
I've always found exactly what I needed with Google. I haven't used yahoo's search engine in over a decade.
7. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Searching for yahoos.
I'll keep what I know thanks.
8. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 410; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
Yahoo is a search engine???
I thought they just bought and killed companies.
9. Topcat488 (Posts: 1207; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Ask Yahoo. Com, is nothing but a lot of knuckleheaded people giving their opinion. The search engine at google gives much more professional advice and knowledge. But if Yahoo gives Apple $2billion then the default engine will be Yahoo. Apple cares about "money" over their customers in my opinion.
10. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Wow, I hope Apple does this - it would make the phone even worse, but, I am sure, the consumers who buy iphones will still download the google search app...
15. quakan (Posts: 1266; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
...or just go into the settings and change the default search engine like we can do now.
12. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Please no... Yahoo is horrible. It's only through an act of sheer laziness on my part that I haven't completely migrated my email over to gmail yet or I wouldn't ever even have to look at their logo at all.
22. Scott93274 (Posts: 2087; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
Ha! You and I are in the same boat! Actually, this past week I've been changing my email addresses in all my online accounts to gmail. nearly done I think.
13. boomboom (Posts: 53; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Does anyone heard people saying lets yahoo it, I do not think so coz all the time I heard is lets google it... :D
14. lyndon420 (Posts: 2702; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Desperate in talks with desperate? This could turn volatile lol. No but seriously...can't blame her for trying, the only other OEM she could approach would be the other fruit phone maker due to the lack of their own proprietary search engine. I don't see apple caving just yet because because they need to retain whatever customer base they can. Down with the harlet-traitor :-)
16. LAFN (Posts: 48; Member since: 19 Jul 2009)
I thought with the latest IOS, Bing was the default search engine... at least for Siri anyway.
20. a_tumiwa (Posts: 364; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
why dont Apple release their own search engine?
21. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3050; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Like they did with their own Maps?
Yea no thanks.
Apple Search: God
Apple Search Results: Steve Jobs.
24. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Yahoo is the walking dead. A company that adds no unique value to the world. I can't imagine why Apple would partner with them unless they got free search. While Steve Jobs would never have accepted using some second tier search engine, Tim Cook is all about the money.
26. pureviewuser (Posts: 302; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
I would love to do the pushing on her!!!lol!!!
29. pureviewuser (Posts: 302; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
But she must be awesome to look at from below after all she's the head and I'm sure she's good at giving!!!lol!!!
30. checkmymike (Posts: 130; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
I just used yahoo to search for hot woman who gives good head, and i was led to this page.
34. trentsinmypants (Posts: 319; Member since: 29 Jan 2009)
I laugh every time I see a customer with a Yahoo email address. It's almost as funny as seeing someone a Compuserve email addy. Yahoo's search engine has sucked for years and even if they use Bing! I fully plan on switching my phone to use Google......