Liveblog: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Gear smartwatch unpacked IFA 2013 event
It’s been two years since Samsung unveiled its first large phone, the 5.3-inch Galaxy Note, a device that was so successful it started a new category of devices some call phablets, a crossover device between a phone and a tablet. It featured a built-in S Pen that was refined later on, and now we’re about to see the third generation Samsung phablet - the Galaxy Note 3. The Note 3 is expected to grow an even larger screen without changing much in size, it should have a 5.7” 1080p display (first 1080p display in a Samsung phablet), and of course the S Pen.
That’s not all though. Samsung is widely expected to also unveil its first Android-based smartwatch, the Galaxy Gear, a device rumored to have a humongous 3-inch design. Can Samsung really step up its game and be the first big phone maker to offer a breakthrough smartwatch? We should learn very soon at Samsung’s huge IFA event.
Samsung’s IFA 2013 Unpacked press conference will start at the following times:
Live event tracker
1. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Maybe i can see my next year's phone here!
I really love Note series.
14. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 642; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
No more waiting. Luv the back, it is really gorgeous. But I'm sure people will still find something negative about its back. Typical haters
3. dashing123 (Posts: 17; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
What is this nostalgic feeling I'm having?
4. htc_evo_3d (Posts: 84; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
samsung has kept the secret until now. not much of a leaks this time. intriguing!!1
6. _Bone_ (Posts: 2138; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Huh? Berlin Philharmonics? Sammy you devil! :)
7. Piotrek007 (Posts: 81; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
Its already more than 52.000 people streaming ........... SICK !!
OMG ?? Its now more than 60k people streaming !! 0.0
9. jed27 (Posts: 65; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
I need to go to work 3 hours from now and I haven't slept yet! Come on Samsung!! Make my lack of sleep for this event worth it!
10. _Bone_ (Posts: 2138; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Incredible how Samsung marketing goes, there are claps even before the event started. :D
12. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
Samsungs the new Apple... haha
i dont even like Samsung and i'm glued to the livestream...
should be an EPIC event.
13. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Texture instead of plastic.
Now thats a great idea.
15. HeWhoDoesNothing (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
No more plastic back. I'll be damned...
16. Blazers (Posts: 244; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Uhhhhh that watch is so ugly. 80's looking calculator watch. And no, it won't be a new fashion trend. What a shame
17. Arsen (Posts: 30; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Galaxy Gear is not bad at all.
fvck those rumors
18. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Meh... Not really impressed.
19. Ghost_hunter (Posts: 2; Member since: 04 Aug 2013)
Hats off to PA ....awesome coverage of the event....
21. gazmatic (Posts: 628; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
galaxy note 3 is for women only
22. gazmatic (Posts: 628; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
no street cred for a "gangster" with a note 3
23. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 499; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Im in love with the design ;((( i want this Right now!!!
24. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Really love Samsung when they announce devices, I remember almost waiting an hour of Apple bragging at last year's iPhone 5 announcement livefeed before they actually got to the phone...
44. AnTuTu (Posts: 960; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Because they don't have anything in their products. That is the reason why they start with how many Apps have been downloaded and how many people have used Safari blah blah blah blah and then here you go we have got another iPhone for you all we did this time is added another S to it.
25. HeWhoDoesNothing (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
I think I want... a Samsung device???
26. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 642; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Same app in two different windows operating at the same time? Now that's innovation. I guess this is why Samsung is going for its own developer conference. So developers can add these type of features on their apps. Good one Samsung, good one
28. nomancool (unregistered)
and what about the s lag feature ?
i hope they have optimized the software properly
29. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Samsung has introduce the FIRST Smart watch??
Comment of year!
30. jimjam (Posts: 245; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
Apple will be laughing at that smartwatch attempt.
Looks awful, doesn't work with many phones, has to work with a phone for most things (come on someone produce a standalone smartwatch!) etc etc.
31. yadu004 (Posts: 63; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
really big surprise from this Un-Packed event.. Found out that Pranav Mistry is in Samsung!!!
Go Pranav !!
33. superkuiken (Posts: 51; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
Galaxy SII design, LG multitasking, SONY Smallapps and HTC BlinkFeed.
Samsung is always full of innovation
39. jad.boutary (Posts: 107; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
this what I was thinking of when I was watching this event
40. shuaibhere (Posts: 1668; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
First of all..it was samsung who released mini apps in thier tablets...then sony and lg copied it....
And if you're talking about s view cover...again samsung was first with that idea.....
And blinkfeed???? Do i even to say it's htc's version of wp start page...
Textured back if very good idea...so please stop trolling...and go away...
45. iushnt (Posts: 753; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
yes because we can get all those in one single device
34. pravi (Posts: 6; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Pranav is the same guy who invented "SIxth sense" right? Good to see him captured by Samsung.
35. jimjam (Posts: 245; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
Samsung's smartwatch is just a rushed attempt to beat apple to it and they ended up launching a sub standard product. Sad really. I was looking forward to something great.
36. theSAINTjohn (Posts: 17; Member since: 06 May 2013)
did i see that right? 25+ hour life? what does that include, just looking at the time only? haha