Is the Oppo Find 7 about to introduce a 50MP camera?!
Hold on to your hats, gentlemen, ladies, and Nokia workers, because Oppo published the mother of all sample photos! This 8160x6120, 9.7MB photograph comes straight from the Chinese manufacturer's Weibo account, and it's likely taken with the Oppo Find 7. It must be the Find 7, because there is no smartphone out there whose camera sensor can match the 50 megapixels of resolution we have here.
50MP! It seems that Oppo will be throwing the glove at everyone with its latest phone, which will feature a ginormous camera sensor in addition to a QHD display, Snapdragon 801 CPU, and other premium specs.
However, none of the alleged photos of the Find 7 that we've seen so far shows a bulge on its back that would indicate such a huge sensor. We've come up with three theories. The first is that all those photos of the phone are as fake as the medical notes you used to skip gym class.
The second is that the 50MP photo itself is artificially enlarged. The third is that those MEMS camera modules, which Oppo bought by the buckets last year, make the miracle of fitting a 50MP/f2.0 camera into a slim shell a possibility. But is the 33% reduction in footprint allowed by the innovative technology enough for such a feat of engineering?
Our questions will be answered come March 19th. Meanwhile, feel free to take a look at the photo, unless you're on a 56k modem. Although the level of detail at full zoom and color processing leave something to be desired, the zooming depth is quite a sight to behold.
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7444; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The hell we need a 50MP camera? Does anyone want to print banners?
8. LiyanaBG (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
if it was on samsung phone you would love it but other brands you put them down :) give them credit for trying at least
16. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7444; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Yeah you're a joke. I'll stick to my Canon btw.
18. nexusdude (Posts: 142; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
C'mon, dude, don't hide the truth. You have a Galaxy Camera.
26. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
lol he is really so ashamed of telling the truth :D
19. istitch (Posts: 157; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
Well, many have proven megapixel is not the sole factor in deciding the image quality, i mean, even high end DSLR or dedicated camera have only 24~36 MP...
Indeed with high MP pairs with large image sensor, like 1020 could produce DSLR standard of image, I believe the MP count is just part of the marketing strategy. When people hear like 41, 50 megapixel, which sounds more than it can deliver relative to a dedicated camera.
67. moroninc (Posts: 171; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
People are going on and on about Nokia's Pureview 40MP camera is the best but when someone else does it, nah you'll stick to a DSLR.. take a hike cheeko we talking about a phone with a 50MP camera.
23. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3274; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Lossless zooming, and the ability to crop, and recrop images over and over without loosing quality.. Sharpness.. This is basic the main attributes of the 1020's camera.. I'm sure some said the same about 41mp..
While more MP aren't everything they will continue to increase to the 100million range because they do provide useful advantages... But, mainly in zooming, which is very nice... To be honest, the lossless zooming on the 1020 is only lossless to a certain point, and it can get way better with time... This just provides the opportunity for more creative picture taking, and that's really the whole point...
36. Lampriya (Posts: 207; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
who give a f*ck about this Chinese junk, seriously? 50mp is for stupid fans who wanna show it around to their friends. Nothing spectacular!
44. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 311; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
"Chinese junk" another person who has never heard of Oppo I'm guessing?
55. ihavenoname (Posts: 1279; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Chinese junk? In build quality, Oppo beats almost every manufacturer in business (if not all).
63. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 311; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
It's not, in my opinion they are the closest thing to Apple on the Android front.
51. fireblade (Posts: 634; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
I don't know whether oppo fans exist or not
64. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3883; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Oppo is a very high quality manufacturer. They are Chinese, but damn are they good. Also, it has a 50 MP sensor, but it will probably use the same pixel binning technology as Phase 1 Pureview that will combine pixels and make a super detailed lower megapixel image, like the Lumia 1020 has a 41 MP sensor but makes awesome 5 MP images with it.
42. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 311; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Lossless zoom. Other than that it won't make a huge difference, none of the phones on the market really even need more than an 8mp camera.
Oppo will deliver if this thing is really there's.
22. akki20892 (Posts: 3274; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I still think, it's about around 20MP camera. Or who knows could be more pixels.
31. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3274; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Maybe they took it with the 1020?.. Lol.
41. nexusdude (Posts: 142; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
Hey, people! Every time there's an iPhone aricle write "useless!".
4. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Yawannnnnn hope it features a sensor size of 1 inch and i hope it can beat my RX100 ??
6. Snoobab (Posts: 174; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Exactly, it's not a megapixel game anymore. It's about sensor size and optics quality.
56. Lauticol (Posts: 179; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
That's happening thanks to HTC and their UltraPixel crap!
5. Snoobab (Posts: 174; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I can imagine the sensor pixel size being tiny which means LOTS of digital noise.
11. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 375; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Which is why when you resize the photo to 8mp it looks amazing as it does with lumias 1020 41mp ;)
25. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3274; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yeah, Nokia actually uses the larger sensor.. They incorporate things like oversampling to actually come up with a overall superior image..
They knew that if they released a 41mp camera on a smartphone that it wouldn't take long for others to follow... That's why it's exciting to think about what they are working on next... Something tells me that the next 1020 will jump up in pixel count as well...
28. sbw44 (Posts: 375; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
If they indeed do that and release say a 80mp+ camera then the sensor size should also be bigger meaning a thicker hump. Unless they have some new tech in their labs! say like graphene sensors etc!
39. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3274; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I'm sure they will get smaller with time... Have you ever actually held a 1020? ... Anyone who complains about the size of the hump on that thing has some biach hands.. It's seriously no big deal at all..
43. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1095; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
bitches love them big numbers . mehehehe
im getting 1020 to lure dem girls..... then they post our photo on instagram hahahaha
*hart* insta-famous *hart*
7. _Bone_ (Posts: 2104; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Green leaves and February photo don't match up folks, look outside your window.
Oppo is teasing it's phones with non-specific stuff that indicates but not leaks features. 50 could mean many things. 5" variant, 5MP front facing camera, 50 band radios and whatnot. Yeah I read EXIF info, but an actual 50MP camera would be a suprise.
9. mercorp (Posts: 967; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Or is it just an upscaled photo,or fake exif data?
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 10128; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That image is startling. 50 mega pixels will be hard to share though, the default setting will be much lower.
27. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3274; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yeah.. My 1520, and the 1020, save two pictures.. One 5mp, and one larger pixel photo.. Surprisingly the 16mp photo that the 1520 takes is that much larger than the 5.. Then there's the option to save RAW files, which is cool if you know how to work with them..
29. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3274; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Edit.. 5mp for sharing.. And the 16mp photo isn't that much larger than the 5mp photo.. It's used for lossless zooming, and cropping, after the photo is taken.. And that's cool because I can take pictures from last Christmas that I cropped, and saved, and zoom back out to see the whole picture.. Those pictures have a option to reopen them in Nokia Camera.. That's pretty cool, and you'd be surprised how much you use this feature.
58. Deaconclgi (Posts: 211; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes, it does.
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 10128; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Kinda want a 1520, but wanna see the new iPhones first.
40. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3274; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I love the 1520, but you have a Note so I'd wait...
45. darkkjedii (Posts: 10128; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
True, but I don't keep phones past a year. The note and 5s will be sold, when the newer versions come out. I can't lie, wp8 has been tugging at me more and more. The phones are gorgeous, and the software has grown on me. iOS will continue to be my primary, but the secondary is up for grabs. Android rocks, but it's advancements are beginning to slow down, as far as how big the leap is over the previous version. Right now wp8 is making bigger strides than iOS and android, except in the app department.
47. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3274; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
True, true dat... 8.1 should be good.. It looks like 2014 is going to be a little more exciting than 13 for all types of devices... Especially if Apple has some larger screen devices.. That would shake things up seriously..
20. f35hunter (Posts: 21; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
I think its a real 50mp snapper look to the details that shown in the photo for instance the far bus behind the car when you zoom in you could see a man stand in the bus very clearly and you could see the traffic signs behind him clearly ..... It is amazing thing If it real and not fake
21. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1200; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
50MP? Almost 10mb per picture... That's insane. 1000 pic would take out 10GB of memory... If that's the case, they better put in 128gb of internal storage