Google releases stock Android keyboard into Play Store, gesture typing now 4.0+
1. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Hope that they improve it more...
2. wk10k (Posts: 9; Member since: 06 Aug 2012)
I wish it had the top row of number keys like the Samsung GS4 keyboard. The gs4 keyboard, though doesn't auto correct. That's even worse. I got the JellyBean keyboard out of the Play store to fix both problems. Though I had to pay a few bucks to get the PRO version that allows the top row of numbers. Awesome keyboard.
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I've been using the one in the GP store that's free ever since it came out. There's no difference except the vibration isn't as strong on the Google keyboard as it is on the other app and the spacebar always shows the language you're using.
Google got a 5 star rating from me.
4. pixelado (Posts: 130; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
One great move on their part. Only root users got to enjoy this kind of suff in the past.
8. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
There was actually an unofficial port in the Play Store before, but I agree, this is great.
5. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
"or if you don't like HTC's keyboard, you can now get the stock Android keyboard."
After using a Rezound and whatever that abomination of a gesture keyboard HTC had.....I would like to thank Google for this.
I hope in the near future we start seeing custom UI's as add ons in the Play Store...
14. pixelado (Posts: 130; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
I somewhat confirm this. It's nowhere to be found from my phone.
24. W.P._Android_in_that_Order (Posts: 208; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
But if its not available worldwide, there is one called "Jelly Bean Keyboard" or "Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard" both by JohnTanmi which is the one they were talking about above. No worries.
Like @ PapaSmurf said above, the only difference is that the tactile vibration isn't as strong as the google keyboard.
10. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Even though I'm sure you don't even have the app, I checked and they are actually included.
12. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Great, will be trying this out.
Using Swift and AI keyboard+
9. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Just downloaded it got rid of my SONY XPERIA keyboard. works flawless
13. htc_evo_3d (Posts: 84; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
why did you wait when you have swiftkey and other awesome keyboards on the market? :)
15. pixelado (Posts: 130; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Now this is what I call an irony. Everytime I install an AOSP-based ROM on my phones, I get rid of the AOSP keyboard and install the Xperia Keyboard.
To each his own, right?
16. Shrihari (Posts: 87; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
even though there are keyboards out there in store but many are not free..google keyboard is free with all functionalities.
17. Azure01 (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
But will we ever get a dedicated emoji list? Idk why but I can't even see emoji anymore and I have a GS4.
18. Stuntman (Posts: 835; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Still sticking to SwiftKey as my landscape keyboard. Going to give the Google keyboard a try as my portrait keyboard. Currently, I'm using Swype as my portrait keyboard.
19. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i just so happened to find this while i was getting all the Google apps i needed for my DNA and i was happy to find it because i'm not a big fan of the Sense 4+ keyboard. i can't wait for Moonshine S-Off to finally be released because as soon as it does this baby is getting unlocked and Sense 5 is getting flashed.
20. J1919 (Posts: 32; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
My phone has a 3.5' screen and this is still a bit too cramped for me. Swfitkey remains the best keybord for me. When I reach the 4' club i'll use the stock keyobard.
22. bohdan4ik13 (Posts: 103; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Gingerbread is still the most widespread Android version, but... Even the simplest I have ever seen notebook app Google Keep is for Android 4.0+
23. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Gingerbread has been dropping consistently for months, and won't be the biggest part of the ecosystem by next month. Don't develop for the past, develop for the future.