x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • Developers get rich thanks to mobile apps

Developers get rich thanks to mobile apps

Posted: , by John V.

Tags:

Developers get rich thanks to mobile apps
If there’s one area that’s paying out plenty of money, with no end in sight, then you’d probably want to check out what developers for mobile apps are doing. This year alone, smartphone owners spent a staggering $6.2 billion on mobile applications according to market watcher Gartner – with predictions of revenue jumping almost 60 percent for 2010. Now the interesting thing is that the cash will come from just 18 percent of the applications we download while the other 82 percent are from freeware apps. Gartner predicts that roughly 4.5 billion apps will be downloaded in 2010 – with paid apps consisting about fewer than 810 million. So roughly it comes down to an average price of $7.64 per app! Obviously most apps cost less than that, but ones like the TomTom would typically boost the numbers to counter balance it. Those free apps are also doing their part by providing some revenue thanks partly to the advertising they will present the user. From the sound of it, developers are sitting comfortably as more people convert to smartphones and experience the joys of downloading mobile applications.

via reghardware


1 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:44

1. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


and for every article about a developer bitching that they cant make money, an article like this comes around. obviously people are buying tons of apps. if yours aint one of them maybe u should rethink what ur developing.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories