China cements its position as world’s biggest smartphone market, Samsung - as biggest manufacturer
China surpassed the United States last year to become the world’s biggest smartphone market, and now the U.S. is a distant second. Smartphone shipments in China amounted to 88.1 million while there were 32.9 million smartphones shipped in the States in Q2 2013.
In terms of phone manufacturers, Samsung continues shipping more and more smartphones and in the second quarter of the year its shipments reached a whopping 75.6 million. Apple also grew its sales but modestly, to 31.2 million units.
What’s particularly interesting is the growth of Chinese phone makers. Companies like Lenovo, Yulong with its Coolpad brand have quickly made it into the top 5 smartphone makers. ZTE and Huawei are in the top 10.
How will this evolve and can China grow even further? Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and check out the statistics right below.
Q2 2013 statistics: markets and manufacturers
1. Topcat488 (Posts: 1124; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Way to go Sammy Son. China say, you number one.
19. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Yes, and Apple is so far behind I'm almost embarrassed to say I still have one of them phones. Samsung is really killing Apple: R.I.P. Apple ....
20. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2117; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Yeah, R.I.P. to a company that makes billions of dollars every year. You people are so dramatic.
25. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Whatta' you mean by "you people"?? That's a white man's racist word. Geeez, the people that come on this site are just absolutely crAss!!
23. joey_sfb (Posts: 2747; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I am happy for Samsung if it's translate to faster and better support in releasing latest Android ROM.
24. ZettaiRyouiki (Posts: 39; Member since: 05 Aug 2013)
And right behind Samsung, out of all the remaining smartphones sold, 90% are the cheap China knockoffs. That's why they are the biggest smartphone market.
29. Ronny666 (Posts: 108; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
Cool isn't it? Knowing that Samsung charges higher price than the average Chinese knockoffs but still able to sustain good sales in China.
Apperently, your own comments contradicts with what you intended to imply. LOL!
3. nobelset (Posts: 268; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
I remember the times when I knew Nokia, Sony Ericsson,NEC, Motorola and Samsung were gonna dominate the top ranks. Ohhhhh how times change.
4. digitalw (Posts: 49; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
And in few years, the landascape will be changed againe, who knows maybe Oppo will be No1 and will own Wriglies, Motorola as second, Samsung will be biggest plastic toy maker, Nokia will be making Self Charging electrical engines and McDonnalds will be chinese brand.
This are turbulent times, and big changes are part of them.
14. Samsungadroidrules (Posts: 104; Member since: 28 Jul 2013)
I doubt that any smart phone company makers can beat Samsung in the top spot. Based from their current competitors, i think still Samsung will be love by billions of people around the world as their smart phones are really working about as A REAL SMART PHONE because of their performances and Advanced features! I don't know what will be with your negative comment to Samsung if they changed their designs and cover to a metal or Aluminum! haha Samsung will rule the next 20 years! haha
17. SonyPS4 (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Looks what happen to Nokia. PS3 is another example (im big fan of Sony but i admit PS3 losing to Wii and X360). If Samsung keep making bad overpriced product like GS4 mini, GS4 Zoom one day they will collapse.
18. hunted (Posts: 313; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
PS3 losing to wii & x360? wii is losing to ps3 and 360. x360 got admired because it was released before ps3.
27. samsuper (Posts: 29; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
Don't forget that plastic toy maker, (Samsung) is best hardware manufacturer in mobile industry.It is always best in front of your aluminium tin.
5. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 801; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Interesting, Samsung and LG are the only veterans left in the top 5, gone are Nokia, Sony/SE and Motorola.
Great going Samsung :) explains why it has so many haters.
11. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
At least Sony and Nokia sales are increasing every quarter.
I believe those two can make it to top five by next year because they have global presence. China OEMs sells most of their phones in China (95% of Lenovo sales are in China) and they don't have much brand value outside China.
6. ritesharora28 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
Wish this data(and growth in sales of iPhone) can highlight Google importance of India and soon they start selling Nexus products priced effectively.
7. aditya.k (Posts: 459; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
China and India still have such high numbers even though there are dual-sim phones. Wonder what the numbers would be if there wouldn't be any dual-sim phones!? :3
8. Avenger337 (Posts: 59; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
Times change and no empire lasts forever. Currently are Asian brands who dominate the smartphone market, Motorola and Nokia far thanks to its windows phone 8 is where it is: the number 10 with a market share of laughter. This ge
9. adit38 (Posts: 23; Member since: 02 Jul 2013)
I owned lenovo s560, in iñdonesia lenovo not that popular. but for global... wow...
10. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
WEll it's all thanks to Google !!! with their Android OS many OEM's r coming on top....even some names i never herd of until last year ...China phone makers r taking the market like a Storm with their Low cost & good devices !!!
They had the Potential but lacked the Software (where Android made everything Possible)...
Hurry to Android !!!! World Domination is around the corner !!!! :D
12. TylerGrunter (Posts: 877; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Youlong? And there lies a brand I had never heard about.
13. nobelset (Posts: 268; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Yulong* Youlong would be ermmm politically incorrect.
15. Samsungadroidrules (Posts: 104; Member since: 28 Jul 2013)
Holly Cow. This explains why my Boy Samsung has a lot of online haters. Probably they are just Insecure and Jealous to Sammy's success as their Beloved Smart phone company can't beat Sammy on the top spot. Way to go Samsung! King of Android!
26. 1113douglas (Posts: 189; Member since: 04 Jul 2013)
Samsung is the best....and will always be the best...congrats samsung... show those apple users who is king!
28. samsuper (Posts: 29; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
Maybe slowly , but iam sure apple will be out from competition.