BlackBerry thinking about a new BlackBerry 10 tablet after all
370,000 tablets up sequentially from the 255,000 shipped in Q3. Because the tablet runs on the QNX software that is the basis of BlackBerry 10, the PlayBook tablets can be revised to run BlackBerry 10 with a simple software update. BlackBerry has promised that it would send out an update by the end of the year to bring the new OS to its tablets as well.
Heins says that there are things to consider in making the decision whether or not to proceed with a new tablet. "The hardware alone is very difficult these days to make money with," said Heins who added that very few manufacturers are making money producing the device. "The question is, what are you putting around the tablet as a service or an experienced value proposition that allows you to make money with it, other than just put the pure hardware out there," noted the executive.
5. Johnnokia (Posts: 684; Member since: 27 May 2012)
People used to buy Playbook with $150.
It is really very nice device with stylish design. But, terribly, apps support is really bad and the browser is quite fruitless.
Any BB tablet 10 higher than $300 would be epic fail and sell worse than the current Playbook.
When RIM made huge discount on the Playbook, it simply killed its Tablet's future.
8. StreetNerd (Posts: 739; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
i got the 64GB for 150 euros. i dont care bout app support i just use it for media consumption. i love the HDMI output :D
10. Johnnokia (Posts: 684; Member since: 27 May 2012)
Would you pay $700 for the new 64GB Blackberry Playbook 10?
3. TheMaxColonel (Posts: 48; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
This tablet will mostly be aimed at BB fans rather than people who like different operating systems such as Apple or Android. For that matter, i will stick with Android and maybe try out W8 in the future.
13. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Maybe they should open Blackberry Bridge to those Android tablets (apps).
7. apiskula (banned) (Posts: 578; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Because anything Blackberry sucks and is useless!
6. apiskula (banned) (Posts: 578; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Blackberry sucks. Think about closing your doors. The end is near Thorsten...put a fork in it your done!
9. StreetNerd (Posts: 739; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
ok cool story bro... go play somewhere else
15. apiskula (banned) (Posts: 578; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Nice comment..but I am going to play here. Why would you purchase this crap with all the quality tablets out there.
16. isprobi (Posts: 350; Member since: 30 May 2011)
Just hit your Home button and go somewhere else. The new BlackBerry 10 OS is probably too complicated for you.