Best Buy customer orders one Apple iPad, receives a box of five, and is told to keep them all
So Alexa decided to contact The Consumerist. In the letter, she mentioned that her theory was that the person doing the fulfillment at Best Buy had slapped an incorrect shipping label on a box of five tablets. The box had a label showing it contained five tablets while the shipping label showed just one being shipped. Alexa had done research on the situation and found other situations where a company overshipped an order and rewarded the customer for stepping forward by giving them a gift certificate, But she could not find a situation where the mistake was valued at the price of four Apple iPad tablets.
keep the extra tablets and give them away to people in need, a charity, a local school, her favorite PhoneArena editor or friends and family.
Best Buy couldn't have scripted this any better than if it were planned out in advance. So let's recap. Alexa's BFF gets his Apple iPad, Alexa's mom has four to sell on eBay to give away. Best Buy comes out looking quite charitable and perhaps there is now an opening in Best Buy's shipping department. Especially since the very same thing happened a few days ago to someone named Nick. Nick ordered one iPad and received a whole box of five tablets. When he called Best Buy, he was told that the retailer shows that he only received one tablet, so Best Buy couldn't do anything about it. If the retailer continues to ship five Apple iPads to everyone who orders just one, it might be time to short the stock.
Laura, from the Consumerist, contacted us here at Best Buy on your behalf. First and foremost, I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your honesty. That is so rare in this day and age and I sincerely thank you!
We, here at Best Buy, acknowledge that we obviously made a mistake, but in the spirit of the holidays, we encourage you to keep the additional iPads and give them to people in need – friends, family, a local school or charity.
I have not shared this resolution with Laura, as you are the customer, but it is up to you if want to let her know the outcome of your discussion.
Thank you so very much for coming forward and I hope your boyfriend enjoys his new iPad. Merry Christmas!"-Letter from Best Buy
source: TheConsumerist (1), (2) via Gizmodo
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
Why god!!! Why I'm not the chosen one!!!
7. wendygarett (unregistered)
And merry Christmas to best buy :)
36. ECPirate37 (Posts: 78; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
why would anyone thumbs down a Merry Christmas to best buy?
49. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I hate it when people that aren't me, get extra stuff without even paying 4 the extras
But I'm Happy that he'll not get to em :P
17. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2741; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Wow that was very generous of Best Buy. 5 of the best tablets on the market is sure to brighten someone's christmas day.
34. blingblingthing (Posts: 356; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
The article clearly said she got iPads. How did she get the best tablets.
35. Ruckus (Posts: 276; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Id put the iPad in the top 3. Just imagine the resale value..
59. metalpoet (unregistered)
oh come on guys, who cares who hates what product and all! I may not be a fan of iPads and iPhones but if i received 5 and paid for only one then id be one happy person!
63. downphoenix (Posts: 2134; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
He said "of the best". Even Android fanboys should acknowledge that yes, Ipad is one of the best. Whether its the best or not is debatable, but among the best should be more than true.
41. arqjav (Posts: 54; Member since: 29 Dec 2009)
That's not true, all she got where ipads.... Not the best tablets, a box with Nexus 10's that's the real deal.
42. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Mxy, you need to learn how to comprehend - the article did not discuss Nexus 10 tablets.
58. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3510; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I'd say the best tablets are;
2.) Nexus 10
And the Note 10.1 as honorable mention. Silly Mxy
51. -box- (Posts: 3537; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Hmm, I wonder if they'll do this for good products... Wouldn't mind a box full box of Alienware laptops or Asus TaiChis, or a wall-full of TVs, haha.
2. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
She could sell 4 of them, or three of them, on Ebay. With the money buy a Nexus 10...and have money to spare.
I am not sure if 'needy' people's needs/priorities include getting some sort of tablet. Maybe the local school could use them.
5. wendygarett (unregistered)
Or just give for a charity, simple as that :)
43. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Give it to charity? Like GOODWILL? Why would someone who needs the basics need a tablet? Now, you could sell it on an auction site and give the proceeds to a charity - that would be better.
48. wendygarett (unregistered)
Either ways, it still consider charity right?? I don't mind they use anyway to charity tho, sell or direct give, or even recycle lol... As long as they do the right things to this world :)
44. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
ok, then sell all 4 - both are good tablets - one just likes to rip you off..or, one of the tablets could be used for buying an itunes or google play card.
20. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
in a 3 year old kids voice with his right hand out and left hand by his side
28. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
nothin........jus visualized a kid saying "gimme some" lol
29. wendygarett (unregistered)
Lmao nice one...
I think he don't get what you mean as well :p
6. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 519; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
LAME...& Fake Advertisement..... bestbuy is now trying to survive by publicizing in this manner...C'mon ppl...
16. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Right. Because you know so much about how a corporation works.
21. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
You are just another imbecile who hates best buy, or either u hate them for selling you a dummy iPad.
Santa knows you are naughty...my boy,...
45. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Well, Best Buy is not all that great - I had an extended warranty deal for a blu-ray player and three times I had to take it back - I was told I had to call and that was a hassle, as I was giving the run around constantly on how to get it fixed - one call to BBB and I received a free blu-ray player
8. Leon101 (Posts: 90; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
DAMN!! Someone has been blessed!!...Do you wanna share??
9. angelesmec (unregistered)
She could sell all 5 of them and buy something cheaper but more powerful tablet for her bf and keep the huge amount of remaining cash.
10. kirholstov (Posts: 129; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Alexa, I'm here!!! :D I think if it's in the news, bestbuy won't stay in minus
56. Slammer (Posts: 721; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
Well, it may or may not be. But it sure does sound suspicious. To actually have news about this generates three things.
1) Why does it appear to be only iPads?
2) People will purchase an iPad in hopes of receiving the same mistake.
3) I find it inconceivable that Best Buy would ignore this person's letter and not respond to an obviously costly mistake.
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 8911; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Man I wish I could b that lucky, keep 2 sell 3, pocket some cash.
46. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Yep, at least sell 3 - then, you could afford a Nexus 10, a Nexus 4, and have plenty of cash on hand.
55. darkkjedii (Posts: 8911; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Nope don't need a nexus 10, or 4, I know they're great devices,but I have an iPad 3, iPhone 5, and an Htc one x. All of them r top notch devices too. So as I said I'd sell 3 keep two for me and my son and pocket the cash.
15. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
"Especially since the very same thing happened a few days ago to someone named Nick. Nick ordered one iPad and received a whole box of five tablets."
you don't say?
18. wendygarett (unregistered)
Best Buy told Alexa to keep the extra tablets and give them away to people in need, a charity, a local school, her favorite PhoneArena editor or friends and family.
Did you see the deleted words? :)
22. mydi.maus (unregistered)
i should start ordering from Best buy,.: )
24. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
yea after awhile it would feel like playing the lottery!
30. neurobiologist (Posts: 65; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
Such "fails" are aimed exactly on that kind of human reaction. High tech advertisement.
50. Commentator (Posts: 2086; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Yeah, nobody's actually being serious here buddy.
23. semipro1337 (Posts: 59; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
If it were me I would sell all 5 of them, and buy five tablets that don't suck harder than my Kirby vacuum, give four of those away and still have about $500 left over.... But that's just me, one smart summabitch.
27. anshul0000 (unregistered)
her favorite PhoneArena editor....lol
31. neurobiologist (Posts: 65; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
ipads are selling bad, and the only way to remove them from the shelves is to get rid of them for free. Mistaker even do not take them back, funny. Is ipad so sh..t?
33. ropucha (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
She better be ready for a nasty surprise in April from IRS-this "gift" is taxable.
39. papss (Posts: 2879; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I'm by no means a apple guy.. Frankly I hate them but the iPad overall is the best "tablet" on the market.. Has a great selection of games, it functions very well and has the larger instal base which tells me that it will continue to be supported for many years to come.. Is it WAY overpriced? Absolutely... Over hyped? Absolutely...
52. Xquisite (Posts: 87; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Fandroids don't care about having a great selection of games and other apps. They only care about putting widgets on their homescreen.
62. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Apple fans users don't care of, for anything, they just wanna flaunt with there iPhone! " look I'm cool, I've got a iPhone"
40. JewBakaUCFG (Posts: 161; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
With word getting out that people could receive more iPads than they ordered, consumers will be flocking to BestBuy.com for a chance to score big. It wasn't a mistake. It was a planned sales tactic in order to gain more business. Brilliant!
47. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Nice story - phonearena, but you guys are behind other news sources who already broke this story 24-48 hrs ago.