Apple's iOS apps and some 3rd party ones redesigned for the iPhone 5 screen, the rest will have borders
This includes not only the default apps like the Calendar that fits more events now, or Mail, Keynote, Page, Numbers, Garage Band and so on, but also third party applications.
Some devs have been given early access to the screen's size and specs, so they have totally reworked their apps to fit the new display. Apple's Phil Schiller gave example with CNN and Open Table, whose app interface is now more spaced out indeed, and fitting more info on one screen.
As for the other, unoptimized apps - "Well here's an app that hasn't been updated. It runs at the same size. We center it and place black borders on either side," said Phil Schiller.
Apple's staple iOS apps and some 3rd party ones have been redesigned to take advantage of the new screen Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
10 great Android widgets you should try
09 Apr 2013, 08:08
Samsung Galaxy S4: 10 exclusive or little-known features review
05 Apr 2013, 07:17
Best Android phones to get this spring
17 Apr 2013, 09:48
5 smartphone apps banned by... Google
16 Apr 2013, 07:24
Samsung Galaxy S 4 hands-on
14 Mar 2013, 18:32
Google+ surpasses Twitter to take number 2 social network after Facebook
28 Jan 2013, 00:58
1. PAPINYC (limited) 2 days ago posted on 12 Sep 2012, 12:31 21 0
iOmg, iCan't wait to see what a movie on a 4 inch screen looks like (dangle iPreposition......) iAlso can't wait to buy all those new accessories for my new "The New iPhone" ; let's see, iAm going to have to replAce the following (not in any specific iOrder) :
1. My Bose Speaker iDock ($499) 2. My iHome iDock Alarm Dock ($79.99) 3. My Car iMount ($59.99) 4. My Thunderbolt/HDMiKiT ($44.95) 5. My bathroom iShower Media Dock ($49.99) 6. My new iOtterBox iDefender iCommuter Series ($79.99) 7 My new iMophie JuiCer ($99.99) 8 New iScreen protectors (because the old ones from my iPhone 4 and 4S are ¼ inch too short) ($24.95)
That's about $929.89 after iBuy my new "The New iPhone" which should cost me $749 (out-of-pocket) cuz' iHave no upgrade left (and, even if iDiD iAm not giving up my Unlimited Data on either of my two lines). With iTaxes and iSurcharges and everything, it should all come out to slightly over $2,000USD.
Damn Apple, you are a Genius; iCrooked, but genius nonetheless!!!
That's right, take everyone's $2,000USD for a screen-size ¼ inch taller. Apple = latwtb (laughing all the way to bank)
7. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 12 Sep 2012, 12:38 2 0
Thank you. I haven't laughed out loud like that since I saw the Dictator at the movies. lol
VERY, VERY EPIC!
16. jaoowolabi posted on 12 Sep 2012, 16:52 0 0
how bout you dont buy the phone? i know this is a joke but some ppl are really that stupid
2. Commentator posted on 12 Sep 2012, 12:31 17 0
An iPhone with a widescreen display?!? Welcome to 2009 Apple, we've missed you.
3. desijatt posted on 12 Sep 2012, 12:31 3 0
fail. older abbs will have border..........lolzz...
4. jmoita2 posted on 12 Sep 2012, 12:33 3 0
Epic fail... but the iDrones will line up for the slaughter nonetheless...
5. Veigald posted on 12 Sep 2012, 12:36 3 0
Looks like it's about time to sell the Apple shares. Nothing new, nothing better than competitor phones, nothing special at all. Disappointing.
6. Mercenary posted on 12 Sep 2012, 12:36 3 4
Stop acting like children.
If you don't like the device then just don't buy it...is that difficult??
I have HTC and I'll not buy an iPhone in the nearly future but I don't hate it..it's stil better than many other devices in the market.
8. Vinayakn73 posted on 12 Sep 2012, 12:38 8 0
new iphone blah blah blah lololo
lolo blah blah new features
blah blah lolololo
the great iphone ever. my a$$$$
11. Trollonka_KeKe_Jackson posted on 12 Sep 2012, 12:51 5 0
Can anybody say fragmentation.? No? I$heeps can no longer point there
12. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 12 Sep 2012, 13:01 1 0
Borders? So much for iOS apps looking more polished.
14. davenycept posted on 12 Sep 2012, 13:35 0 1
All you iphonies finally got screwed. U have to get new equip... For what?.a 4" screen? Welcome to 2010 apple funboys. But of course apple will present this as something innovative and groundbreaking... Good luck i will stick with my gs3
15. kamen posted on 12 Sep 2012, 14:53 0 0
OK, now that was a careless move. I'm Android and Windows Phone developer and I have developed for everything from Android 1.6 to 4.1 and have never bothered about screen sizes.
Heck, Microsoft changed the kernel and apps still scale - and those are applications that have elements hard-coded to specific size.
Although there's another possibility besides laziness by Apple's side.. There is a chance that Apple wants just to force developers to at least update their apps, thus kicking unupdated applications out of store by making customers ignoring them because of the border.
17. Lboogey6 posted on 12 Sep 2012, 19:34 0 0
Brrooo omf. Really the calendar. App alone is coppied from Samsung!!!!!!
18. tumchaaditya posted on 13 Sep 2012, 03:37 0 0
Black borders huh...
And you still bloat you make most beautiful things around..