Apple intros a smaller dock connector and calls it Lightning, but fret not, there will be an adapter
The cable connector is reversible, with pins on both sides, so it doesn't really matter which side you plug it in if you are in a hurry, which is svelte. The reason for the move, except to save space, Apple quoted to be that much of the things that we used to do with cables, are now done wirelessly.
As for the billions of accessories made for the old connector, there will be a 30-pin-to-8-pin adapter to soothe your transition pains, and can you guess how Apple called the connector (yes, there is a name for it). Why, Lightning, of course.
1. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Yes, and the adapter will cost $129.95 and wil be sold only by Apple but, I will buy it nonetheless, along with 3 billion others because investing in Apple and my future is never a baaa-haaa-haaa-aaad thing.
2. luxzy801 (Posts: 138; Member since: 16 Jun 2010)
I was just going to say the same exact thing
11. TarunV (Posts: 28; Member since: 21 Jul 2012)
It costs 10$, now don't tell me you don't even have that much money.
15. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7009; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
it's 29$ you need to read the paragraph again.
3. mas11 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Wow way to screw your users, the sad thing is they think this is a good thing.
4. phljcnth (Posts: 424; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
They name everything. I won't be surprise the if the phone will be packed in a 'Superbox' with Lightning, Earpod, Wowwarranty, Übersticker, and iWhatnot.
6. Veigald (Posts: 261; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
Yeah, what the hell is that plastic 8-pin connector called Lightning for? That to me exemplifies Apple hype.
5. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
Seems like a lightning way to Suck on Money ......no i wont buy frm apple , what if i buy a cheap China product....
7. abhijeit (Posts: 25; Member since: 07 Sep 2012)
how dumb can PAPINYC bee!!!! shockin to see such dumb people being the reason for the survival of a dum company like dis!!! wat an epic failure is this so called iphone 5...
10. Savage (unregistered)
If you are new here, he was being sarcastic.
8. Savage (unregistered)
Okay, I am impressed. Let me tell why. This can be inserted via both sides. Micro-usb can't do that and I dunno if any other OEM has started this trend. It's convenient and useful. Thats the most innovative thing Apple came up with this time. Sadly, Apple will be the only one manufacturing it.
9. infinitemethod (Posts: 142; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
It has no micro-USB compatibility. Hahahaha! What an iJOKE.
12. infinitemethod (Posts: 142; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
Oh, by the way, we're changing the dock connector and we'll be charging a minimum of $39.99 for an adapter. Oh and we're also going to be the only ones that make the adapters. Easily the greediest company on the planet.
13. CardiWPfan (Posts: 129; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
What an i-joke indeed Pffft did they not get the memo to go Wireless for charging i-FAIL!!
14. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7009; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
So you have to give out MORE CA$H to the BIG GREEDY FRUIT what a wast of money. I feel sorry for those that's going to buy the iP5