AT&T might charge for FaceTime over Cellular
1. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Or you could use Skype like a normal person.
3. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Agreed, Skype was better before Microsoft bought it. BTW a communication app is pretty useless if it only runs on one OS.
4. Mark.J.Linskiy (unregistered)
I think Google Hangout/Talk is a great alternative.
16. Jodabro (Posts: 35; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
G+ hangout works best in my experiance. Tango barely ever connects unless, both users have the app running. Skype is really glitchy. Hangouts could be improved on, but so far it wins. It instantly notifies those you are trying to contact, it is available on all platforms, and it works over cell towers.
6. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Nothing like being a pig. AT&T is throttling 'unlimited' plans once the data use hits, what - 3Gb? Now they want to charge for using Face Time? Imagine what life would have been like if they had been successful in creating a duopoly.... Charging for Face Time would have been just the start of the rape of its customers bank accounts. Anyone for escalating tiered data charges (as in increasing cost/Gb as more Gb gets used)?
7. Birds (Posts: 1154; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
AT&T is a pricey lil hoe... So glad I'm using an unlocked device. ROFL
8. jroc74 (Posts: 5996; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Seems AT&T and Verizon are trying to out nickel n dime each other.
9. frydaexiii (Posts: 1429; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
LOL! So what exactly did iOS 6 bring that is actually beneficial to the user? I don't mean for iPhone 4S and new iPads, I mean for iPhone 4 users who are getting like 4% of iOS 6...And sometimes I wonder how people can say Android is fragmented, just because Apple is updated "in name".
10. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Guys, AT&T does not charge for using FaceTime - so before you get you panties all in a bunch, and bash the carrier with the best selection of smartphone, and fastest data speeds - get the facts....this article does not speak of facts. My brother works at a Call Center, and at this time, Face Time is free - now, if a person has an incompatible data plan, then what you see on this article would happen.
11. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
however, AT&T can change its mind....lol
15. Jodabro (Posts: 35; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
The article is not claiming they charge for facetime, they are claiming they will charge for facetime over cellular data.
12. fervid (Posts: 183; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
They already charge for it...it is called a Data Plan! ATT is so stupid. Seriously thinking of going back to a plain phone and Using a Nexus 7 on my home Wifi with Charter.
13. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
The carriers are forcing folks to a hotspot type device for data. This way you WiFi your iDevice to the hotpot, and FaceTime to your hearts content.
14. codymws (Posts: 237; Member since: 17 Jun 2010)
That would be ridiculous. They already charge their customers for every byte they use. Why would they charge them more for using those bytes in a different way? It's kind of like the tethering thing...
17. jeroome86 (Posts: 910; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
I don't use it but really going to far. What's with Verizon charging for visual voice mail? Nickel and dime you to death. Sometimes think about a dumb phone if I can break the addiction.